Low Fiber Diet - latest information Mayo Clinic

Found a good website that has some really handy information?  Post your links here...

Return to References, Websites, Facts...

Low Fiber Diet - latest information Mayo Clinic

Postby Savaici » 09 May 2012, 11:01

Up to date information on what to eat on a low fiber diet, from the Mayo Clinic. Worth a read as there are some changes due to research.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/low-fiber-diet/MY00744
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Re: Low Fiber Diet - latest information Mayo Clinic

Postby Suckdiddlyucksflanders » 09 May 2012, 11:19

Find it interesting that they mention bowl surgery. Doesn't seem too far off the mark for fissure surgery so I wonder if all that fiber isn't the best thing after all.
Suckdiddlyucksflanders
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby jr2 » 09 May 2012, 15:10

Savaici.. Thanks for linking this. Haven't seen you around in awhile. How are you doing?
suckdiddly ... I've been a bit skeptical for some time about all the fiber fissure sufferers have been told to consume. While I don't necessarily agree with a lot of the foods on the mayo clinic website because it has too much processed food on it that can cause constipation, I also don't see how stuffing a bowel full of indigestible fiber and making bowel movements bigger and bulkier can possibly assist in healing a fissure either.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby Suckdiddlyucksflanders » 09 May 2012, 19:28

Jr2, I totally agree. My doc explained why he was recommending it but I don't see how bigger stool is going to stretch my muscle enough to do good vs the harm it might do with the healing. Check out a website called Gut Sense and a book called Fiber Menace. I think maybe we should be more in the middle. There's a reason they say moderation in everything!
Suckdiddlyucksflanders
Salt Bather

Postby jr2 » 09 May 2012, 20:13

suckdiddlyucksflanders ...
Yup...I've read that whole site and really so much of it makes so much sense to me, and has proven useful to me. I think some of his ideas are a bit extreme in the other direction, but I'm happy for that extreme voice in some ways... Sometimes it takes a strong opposing voice to bring us back to moderation again.
jr2

Postby Suckdiddlyucksflanders » 10 May 2012, 19:13

Call me Flanders, wasn't thinking that through when I picked such a long username :)
I agree 100% with you and had the same thoughts about what he has to say. Some things are over the top but others do resonate with me. I hope you are doing well this evening.
Suckdiddlyucksflanders
Salt Bather

Postby jr2 » 10 May 2012, 21:24

heh ... Flanders ... your name makes me giggle, actually... and it makes me curious about the story behind it :)
had a relapse today after having made just a teeny bit of progress, so I'm kind of down, but tomorrow is another day :)
Hope you are doing okay with continued progress in healing?
jr2

Postby Suckdiddlyucksflanders » 11 May 2012, 06:48

Well, have you ever seen a tv show called The Simpsons? There is a character called Flanders that is nice and hopefully that he can't even say mean things so he always says something "suck diddly yucks". Just thought it was my way of trying to combine my negativity and some positivity about the whole situation.
I'm so sorry you've had a relapse. You are very supportive of everyone here and I can't fathom what you've gone through. You must have the strength of Hercules!! That is SO frustrating, those relapses. I'm doing just a hair better today but same as you it could switch at any moment. Wishing you happy thoughts!
Suckdiddlyucksflanders
Salt Bather

Postby jr2 » 11 May 2012, 08:24

Oh, that's awesome... Gosh I haven't watched The Simpsons in years! I love that you can still laugh ... Fissures are really good at killing the sense of humor in us. We've got to keep laughing, even if it's only at the absurdity of it all.
Yeah, I'm really struggling with the sadness this time. I've relapsed so many times, and last night trying to sleep it was all I could do to reign in the thoughts and emotions.
I'm so glad you're doing a bit better today! I so hope this is the upswing for you after all you have endured! Happy thoughts back!
jr2

Postby Suckdiddlyucksflanders » 11 May 2012, 18:17

Love the emoticon!! Where did you find it??
The sadness is overwhelming isn't. I will pray for healing for you and everyone else enduring. I wouldn't wish this on anyone, but there are times I wish for just one day my husband could feel what I feel. He is very supportive and this is hard on him too but the empathy from someone who has felt the pain is so nice, guess that's why this forum is o important. My mantra is "hope is believing tomorrow will be better."
Suckdiddlyucksflanders
Salt Bather