what other types of meds for pain are you guys taking

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

what other types of meds for pain are you guys taking

Postby momshouse » 15 May 2012, 18:54

Hello, im a newbie and just started fighting my second fissure off, its been 4 weeks now and the pain is about a 7 to 8 out of ten on bad days.On good days its about a 3, lol i was beginning to feel that this was life now but this ite tells me there is hope.I wanted to ask what type of pain meds are these doctors prescribing for you other sufferers?,what works best? I did the morphine thing but i don't think it did much.My friend saw i was in pain and offered me a oxocette witch was wonderful the pain was gone for 4 to 6 hours. I live in a very small town and there is no resident doctor here so every time i return for my flare ups we gotta go through the whole process of him poking at it and of course the finger thing ARG... I had one doctor tell me it didn't hurt and i should go home and deal with it, Can you imagine....Anyway ya what other types are you guys trying?
momshouse

Number of posts: 2
Registration date: 2012-05-14

momshouse
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: what other types of meds for pain are you guys taking

Postby BillUltra » 16 May 2012, 19:41

Opiates like oxycotin, percocet and Vicodin are really bad about making you constipated. So you get pain relief for one day, and the next day is pure hell unless you take another pill. Which puts you into a vicious cycle of dependence on highly addictive and destructive meds that can ruin your life. Most docs are smart enough not to prescribe opiates for anal fissures.
Ibuprofin helps some, but valium helped me a lot. Yes as a benzo, valium is also addictive, but it does not lead to constipation so you can just take as needed. Really helps for a good night's sleep too.
BillUltra
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 19

Postby Emm123 » 16 May 2012, 19:49

Before my procedure the only pain relief I was prescribed was lidocaine, but that is hard to find where I live so I used EMLA applied directly to the area. That worked superb for me but there was a slight burn from it I think. I had to use GTN paste as well but I hated it as it gave me headaches (I think that's why I had EMLA to use.
Post surgery I was given arcoxia for a week and the Dr told me if I get anymore pain to use simply panadol. Today for instance I had some severe pain so I took 1 panadol (250mg Acet.)
Emm123
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby aparadigm » 16 May 2012, 21:42

I've been taking Vicodin for a few weeks and it does help especially if taken about a half hour before a BM. The only thing I'm concerned about with it is the tylenol attached as tylenol is damaging to the liver.
Personal responsibility is on me, treating a patients pain is on the doctor. Treating possible addiction is on a different doctor. I think when it's clear you have a fissure and it's clear you are in pain, you should be allowed access to possibly addicting pain meds rather than to deny on the chance that you may possibly go off the deep end ..and make you suffer with less powerful liver damaging drugs like tylenol.
I know drug abuse is a problem. But then I think about all those out there suffering in pain because people condemn doctors for prescribing opiates and they scare doctors away from prescribing. And these real sufferers have to doctor shop around making themselves look like addicts when all they want is pain relief and someone who cares. If you have a patient who clearly has pain and has been diagnosed with a condition known to cause moderate to severe pain, prescribe the drugs if they ask, make sure they are doing okay and stop prescribing when its clear the condition is gone.
I've not had constipation issues on Vicodin but I do hear opiates can constipate. Then again, experts told me fiber helps with constipation yet all fiber did was cause large stools and retears with me even with heavy water drinking.
aparadigm

a little help

Postby momshouse » 17 May 2012, 22:24

why is my fissure producing mucus?
momshouse
Fibre Addict

Postby BillUltra » 22 May 2012, 13:06

aparadigm wrote:I've been taking Vicodin for a few weeks and it does help especially if taken about a half hour before a BM. The only thing I'm concerned about with it is the tylenol attached as tylenol is damaging to the liver.
Personal responsibility is on me, treating a patients pain is on the doctor. Treating possible addiction is on a different doctor. I think when it's clear you have a fissure and it's clear you are in pain, you should be allowed access to possibly addicting pain meds rather than to deny on the chance that you may possibly go off the deep end ..and make you suffer with less powerful liver damaging drugs like tylenol.
I know drug abuse is a problem. But then I think about all those out there suffering in pain because people condemn doctors for prescribing opiates and they scare doctors away from prescribing. And these real sufferers have to doctor shop around making themselves look like addicts when all they want is pain relief and someone who cares. If you have a patient who clearly has pain and has been diagnosed with a condition known to cause moderate to severe pain, prescribe the drugs if they ask, make sure they are doing okay and stop prescribing when its clear the condition is gone.
I've not had constipation issues on Vicodin but I do hear opiates can constipate. Then again, experts told me fiber helps with constipation yet all fiber did was cause large stools and retears with me even with heavy water drinking.

If vicodin doesn't make you constipated, then you're one of the lucky ones. This is from MedTV and you will find the same exact same message conveyed all over the Internet and anywhere you research:
Vicodin and Constipation
When taking Vicodin, constipation is likely to occur in most people taking this medication. This constipation does not get better with time, since the body never adjusts to the effects of Vicodin that cause constipation. If you are taking Vicodin and constipation becomes a problem, ask your healthcare provider to recommend a laxative that is right for you.

Here's the link: http://pain.emedtv.com/vicodin/vicodin-and-constipation.html
I think it's clear that the vast majority of people with anal fissures who take opiates for pain relief will have a larger, harder stool 2-3 days later that will tear the fissure more, making the level of pain they have to deal with worse with each passing day. You reacted the same way to fiber, and I had the exact same reaction to fiber so the solution for me was stool softeners and totally changing my diet. Yes you can try to counteract the constipating effect of opiates with laxitives and stool softeners, but then IMO you are in a very dangerous balancing act.
I found effective pain relief from ibuprofin and valium, neither of which cause constipation.
I also can add that I paid $35,000 out of pocket to a facility in Tucson to try to rehab my wife off of opiates, then $25,000 to another facility in Ft. Lauderdale. I am intimately aware of the dangers of opiate addiction.
BillUltra
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Deleted User 1497 » 22 May 2012, 15:06

Hello,
Bill did you have a surgery to heal or did you heal naturally? I read your "fun" post on another thread about feeling so normal, what great news.
Deleted User 1497

Postby BillUltra » 22 May 2012, 17:00

perfecteater wrote:Hello,
Bill did you have a surgery to heal or did you heal naturally? I read your "fun" post on another thread about feeling so normal, what great news.

This is actually my second go-round. I had a fissure that followed me around for about 10 years that I treated with therapy because I was terrified at the idea of surgery on my anal sphincter! Finally the pain and the fiber demands just got too much and I had a highly successful LIS about 3 years ago. I actually went around my office all the time proclaiming my favorite saying: Happiness is a healthy @sshole! (I own the company so I can say whatever I want) My guys knew how bad it had gotten for me so they thought that was funny for me to say that so often.
But it was March 12 of this year that I had a colonoscopy where the doc removed a polyp from my upper rectum that just never would heal. The first month I tried my doc's recommendation of fiber and lidocaine for the pain. Guess how that worked out? I felt like I was almost healed up when I ended up with a 3 day bout of constipation that finally resolved itself by ripping that wound from the polyp into the mother of all fissures.
I went back to the doc and he put me on the magic ointment to relax the spasming, frequent sitz baths, and still said take fiber. That wasn't working, but when I found this forum and did a lot of research, I implemented the full routine dropping the fiber, first adding then discontinuing Miralax, and most importantly the diet.
I do believe having the surgery 3 years ago did make it possible for me to heal up as quickly as I did, but I will say the pain this time was 10 times greater than the time before. Of course this time it wasn't just a fissure at my anus, but one which ran all the way up to the polyp.
BillUltra
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Deleted User 1497 » 22 May 2012, 18:45

Hello,
So glad even moreso that you are on the "backside" ( :) ) of all this. That is allot to deal with. Our benefit here is we get your whole scope of experience to read about and learn from.
It's what I was just recently told that fissures can still happen after a surgery. I think its human nature to wish/hope it would forever cure the problem.
Thanks for letting me know what you have been thru. Its so nice to here you have healed. I have been looking around the board to gain more information.
Thanks
Deleted User 1497

Postby sweetcheeks » 22 May 2012, 19:30

Vicodin didn't touch my pain, 600 mg Motrin helps me just a little, takes the edge off. Heat works the best for my immediate pain as inconvenient as it is.
sweetcheeks
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4