Hydrocortisone

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Hydrocortisone

Postby DynaMike » 21 May 2012, 18:28

Hello everyone,
I've had a fissure for a couple months now and today my doctor prescribed me Hydrocortisone AC 25MG. I haven't used it yet, but I was going to see if anyone has had experience with using it on their fissure. I mentioned nitroglycerin to him, as I have heard it works for some, and he looked at me like I was crazy and said "No! That's for chest pain, it has nothing to do with fissures!" Then I mentioned nifedipine and diltiazem and he said, "Are you crazy, those are for blood pressure!" Anyway, anyone?
DynaMike
Fibre Addict

Topics: 8

Re: Hydrocortisone

Postby Jenbug » 21 May 2012, 19:29

I had the same thing happen to me when I mentioned humira and flagyl for my fistula.
I got out google and found a good dr.
Jenbug
Salt Bather

Topics: 23

Postby sailorgal » 22 May 2012, 06:34

I tried using hydrocortizone for several months but found it didn't help me in healing my fissure.
if your doctor responded that way re: nitro and nifed, I think you should find a new doctor. As you know these agents are part of the normal course of conservative treatment for a month - few months before considering something more invasive like Botox or LIS.
When i suggested the same to my first CRS, she also looked at me strange and scoffed, said they didn't work. Had me do a month of conservative treatment with fiber pills, water, hydrocortizone - I didn't heal and so underwent Botox w/Fissurectomy.
When I sought a 2nd opinion 6 weeks after my procedure bcz I wasn't healing well, still dealing with a lot of pain - he was surprised that one of those agents weren't at least thrown into the mix of the month of conservative treatment. Long story short, I switched CRS's and had a 2nd Botox and am doing much better now. Had I known then, what I know now, I would have been more proactive right from the get go in getting a 2nd opinion and firing my 1st CRS sooner.
sailorgal
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Postby Baba » 22 May 2012, 09:59

It sounds to me like your dr needs some educating!
I've not had much help from cortisone creams - besides it is said that they thin the skin and thus make it easier to open the fissure again. The biggest help for me has always been to have soft, no straining, easy to pass BMs - and lots of patience!
Baba
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3

Postby Emm123 » 22 May 2012, 17:00

As what everyone else; get a new doctor ASAP. One of my friend's was on hydrocort as well and got a retear recently. Also remember that is a steroid. If these methods don't work in a month or two consider surgery. I honestly wished I did surgery a long time ago.
Key things in recovery is patience, sticking to the diet and a few other things. A good doctor is very key as well. Hope you find one soon. The advice we give is see a CRS.
And best of luck too! Keep us updated ae
Emm123
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby sweetcheeks » 22 May 2012, 19:26

DynaMike wrote:Hello everyone,
I've had a fissure for a couple months now and today my doctor prescribed me Hydrocortisone AC 25MG. I haven't used it yet, but I was going to see if anyone has had experience with using it on their fissure. I mentioned nitroglycerin to him, as I have heard it works for some, and he looked at me like I was crazy and said "No! That's for chest pain, it has nothing to do with fissures!" Then I mentioned nifedipine and diltiazem and he said, "Are you crazy, those are for blood pressure!" Anyway, anyone?

My doctor gave me the same thing, a little tube with one refill 11 days ago. I went in 7 days after getting it to get the refill and they told me the first tube was supposed to last for a month LOL. I can't get the refill for three more weeks and I'm out. It didn't help. Prep H ointment (not the cream) is helping some, I'm slowly getting better, having a few more good days than before. The Mrialax seems to be helping the most. I'm going to wait a couple more weeks and if this isn't much better, I'm going to ask for the nitro.
sweetcheeks
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4