diltiazem - how to apply :0S

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

diltiazem - how to apply :0S

Postby whatwhat » 26 Jun 2012, 10:50

Doc has put me on diltiazem instead of GTN because of the headaches......
No info leaflet has come with the stuff, it just says apply twice a day and external use only. How useful.
Sorry to be graphic but, am I not sticking this up there a bit like the GTN then (i.e 2.5cm on end of finger and up about 1cm)??
....or does it just go on the outside, in which case, what is the point in using it?!!
Thank you in advance to anyone who can advise me on how to apply this!
ww x
whatwhat
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Re: diltiazem - how to apply :0S

Postby restoremybody » 26 Jun 2012, 11:33

I started mine a 6 weeks ago, also with no instructions. I asked around and was told to put it only outside the anus. I know some people say put a little inside, but just the very act of putting anything inside made me hurt so much worse every day. so, do what works best for u. Pea size amount twice a day is what I tried. morning and night.
restoremybody
Salt Bather

Topics: 20

Postby Ever the Optimist » 26 Jun 2012, 11:34

Hi again Whatwhat!
I used this for about 7 weeks and I hope that it helps you as well as it helped me...
You have to insert it internally in the same way you did with the Recto, same amount and as far in as before.
When my fissure was much better, I applied a smaller amount and slightly less deep but never just externally, because I'm not sure how well that works either!.....
My fissure was confirmed as 100% gone last week and if this is the case, then I am certain the Dilitazum contributed in helping it heal. Fingers crossed xxx
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby Ever the Optimist » 26 Jun 2012, 11:43

RMB,
So sorry you're hurting so much. Did the cream help you at all? ...Are you still using it?
Reason I was advised to internally apply was to get it touching and stimulating the sphincter muscle as it has a stronger affect in helping to relax the muscle. I guess then if you apply the cream so it's less deep then perhaps it slows the process a bit? No idea to be honest, just a thought....
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Postby cherylk » 26 Jun 2012, 16:26

Pea size amount twice a day is what I tried. morning and night.
This is right. Be sure to get it upwards of 1 cm internally. That is what my Mayo CRS told me.
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby restoremybody » 26 Jun 2012, 19:09

ok, i go to CRS tomorrow again. I will definitely ask
restoremybody
Salt Bather

Topics: 20

Postby whatwhat » 27 Jun 2012, 03:49

Thanks everyone!
I called my Pharmacy and told them there was no PIL. It is really not good - fine for me who is tach savvy and google it but for others who aren't, it's not good.
The one I have is really quite sort of watery and very difficult to apply up there!! The recto was more of a gel which was easier to sort of insert, whereas this is sort of watery cream and it is going everywhere apart from where I need it.
Does anyone have any tips on how to do this more easily?
X
whatwhat
Salt Bather

Postby jillywilly » 27 Jun 2012, 04:32

Hi whatwhat I've used anoheal cream & it is more runny than rectogesic I tried to put the cream on the tip of my finger then insert it as best I could & rub it around abit inside first then abit outside as well but as with all these things its trial & error. Also make sure u store it in the fridge at all times (I guess u were told that by the pharmacy that dispensed it) it does make a difference to the consistency. Are you finding it as effective? I didn't think it worked as well for me so I'm back on the recto headaches & all!! Hope that helps,
Jill xx
jillywilly
Salt Bather

Topics: 12

Postby whatwhat » 27 Jun 2012, 09:13

Hi Jill,
It is tricky isn't it! I wish they would give you like a little tube or syringe?! lol I do keep it in the fridge yeah, I suppose I will just have to find a way. It just goes everywhere, whereas the recto I could just pop straight in.
Have only had it for one day so no feedback yet - I gave the recto 2 weeks but it was very on and off because the headaches were severe - so some days I didn't use it because I needed to work!
I really hope it does some good Jill because I dont have the balls to deal with those headaches. I just felt totally out of sorts on Recto.
Wishing you and your bottom all the best
X
whatwhat
Salt Bather

Postby Ever the Optimist » 27 Jun 2012, 14:22

Never heard of the watery Diltizem version! Interesting...
Mine was white with a toothpaste type consistency and easy enough to get up there!
I know if you buy a pack of Anusol (piles cream - also recommended for use on fissures) here in the UK, you get an internal syringe thing with it, which might help you out WW??? That's for those suffering internal piles and it just shoots the stuff right inside...
Sorry it didn't work for you Jilly and hope the Recto does.... headaches & all! xx
Ever the Optimist