Bleeding/discharge after LIS and tag removal?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Bleeding/discharge after LIS and tag removal?

Postby sadies-day » 30 Jun 2012, 05:03

How much bleeding/discharge after LIS and tag removal is considered normal? I had my surgery last Thursday morning (6/28). Had my first BM yesterday. The cleanup was more irratating than the movement itself. Quite a bit of blood (more than I'm used to) at the time. Seemed to slow down afterwards. Been using my wife's sanitary napkins and they still have some blood on them even as of this morning (put a clean one on when I went to bed last night). Is that just considered normal discharge? I asked to doctor's office yesterday and they said to call if blood is running down my leg or soaks my clothes.
sadies-day
Salt Bather

Topics: 13

Re: Bleeding/discharge after LIS and tag removal?

Postby Paul Sheldon » 30 Jun 2012, 06:29

I am now 11 days post LIS and still having a bit of discharge. I believe it is normal, I also have been wearing sanitary napkins and each day there has been some bloody streaks which have seemed to slow down. Today being a saturday I am going to try to go without the pad and see how it goes. Yesterday the pad was almost totally clean. My post op instructions say that this can occur for up to 6 weeks so I wouldn't worry too much.
Paul Sheldon
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: Bleeding/discharge after LIS and tag removal?

Postby Emm123 » 02 Jul 2012, 22:17

If its flowing, the blood, check your doctor. Otherwise its OK as paul said
For me, I had a similar type of procedure and I had discharge lining the walls of my inner cheeks for the first few weeks! And I was doing sitz baths every 3 hours and before each one, I'd notice it.
Once it doesn't change color or begin to smell really bad, don't be alarmed. Up until last week, my 8th week, I noticed there is a slight moisture like a discharge so don't worry.
Emm123
Salt Bather

Topics: 3