Colonoscopy on Monday - having panic attacks already

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Colonoscopy on Monday - having panic attacks already

Postby uram » 18 Jul 2012, 22:30

I found this site when looking for some info on Miralax. I found many good advices in regards of Miralax here. I've been taking it for about 2.5 years, due to chronic constipation - as per my GP. Last 6 months I had to increase dosage to 1.5 cup daily. It works, but I constantly live in fear that Miralax will stop working eventually and/or it does some terrible damage to my kidneys / system. I am scared it something worse.....so the GP ordered colonoscopy. I live on a high fibre diet for last 5-6 years, whole grain bread, fruits, vegetables, little chicken, fish, drink a lot of water 2L a day min, so Miralax works, although I had to increase the dosage to 1.5 cup a day. For colonoscopy I am supposed to take Bicacodyl and Pico-salax. I am not sure, if I still have to take the Miralax, since I have no BM without it. The GP plays the "broken record" - just follow the instructions. He just does not answer my questions. I am scared to eat low fibre diet for the next 3 days prior last day before colonoscopy - Sunday = clear liquids. I am scared of colonoscopy itself, scared of having the "c" diagnoses. I am having panic attackes, I am in complete terror. Also, I have to be at the Hospital at 10:30 AM. They don't say what time is the procedure going to be done. I am guessing perhaps at 11 or after. The preparation sheet says if the colonoscopy is scheduled for 11AM or after, take the last dose of Pico-salax at 7AM on the day of colonoscopy. If the colonoscopy is scheduled before 11AM, take the last dose of Pico at 9PM previous day, what is Saturday. I am worried, if I take the second dose at 7AM on the day of colonoscopy, I will have a BM in the car.....as I have to leave my house by 9AM. If I take it Saturday at 9PM I am not be "cleaned out" enough. Colonoscopy nurse/office doesn't answer phone calls. Again, my GP - "just follow instructions". And I am going crazy.I feel so alone, terrified, scared, I am going crazy. It's like nobody cares. My husband laughs about that, doesn't understand my fears at all. And sorry for my English, as I am English second language person. Anybody, please, can give me some advice ? Thank you.
uram

Topics: 1

Re: Colonoscopy on Monday - having panic attacks already

Postby dan2012 » 19 Jul 2012, 03:59

Hello Uram,
I'm sorry that you're anxious about your upcoming colonoscopy. Bowel-related afflictions can be very difficult, and this being your first colonoscopy it's understandable that you're anxious - I'd also be. I don't have experience with many of things that you mentioned, but I've been taking Miralax for a couple of months and can share a few ideas.
All Miralax does is to push water into your stools and prevent it from instead being absorbed by the intestines. I find it extremely unlikely that it will just "stop working". I know people who have taken Miralax for many, many years and you don't really develop a tolerance for it, so it keeps working! Maybe the reason you had to increase the dosage is becuase you probably added a lot of fiber to your diet - fiber needs water, and maybe that's how you react to it.
Less than 1 in 1000 colonoscopies will result in a 'c' diagnosis based on numbers I saw online. So it's really unlikely that is the case. I also suffer from occasional anxiety so I understand the feeling - really. But I try to take active steps to just relax, close my eyes, lay down and try to empty my thoughts as I make sure that no muscle in my body is contracted. This helps me and it might help you. Easing your anxiety will go long ways to help your BM!
Regarding pico-salax... You should try again the doctor/nurse for the best advice... But here's my completely non-medical opinion:
Based on what your sheet says, I wouldn't take it in the morning given that you need to be at the hospital 10:30AM - I would basically consider that the colonoscopy is scheduled at 10:30AM. period.
What I would do in this case is take it at 9PM. The medicine's website says to have immediate bathroom access up to 10 hours after taking it, which means that taking it in the morning of your colonoscopy probably won't be a good idea given you need to be in the hospital at 10:30AM! I hope other forum members have more experience with this part, but i just wanted to provide you with another take on what you said.
dan2012
Salt Bather

Topics: 14

Thank you so much

Postby uram » 19 Jul 2012, 09:29

Hello Dan,
Again, thank you so much for advice. Regarding Miralax, I've read a lot about it online, it's an osmotic laxative, which is drawing water to the colon, so is less dangerous than stimulants lax that are supposed to induce peristalstics of dig. tracts. But still, after doing very through search, there are still some concerns in regards of impearing kidneys, but since it helps me a lot, I take my chances.
People often say they have been many years on Miralax but I rarely see the exact number of years. I read some articles about children being on Miralax for 5-6 years max.
Anyway, I will try to do some antianxiety things, asI woke up with an extreme anxiety this morning, which is changing into some panic attacks. I am afraid I cannot deal with that much longer.
Regarding talking to my GP - his receptionist just books the appointments - waiting time is 2 weeks, GP doesn't talk on the phone. Receptionist just tells me to talk to the hospital. Hospital, where I am supposed to have the colonoscopy done, they do not answer the phone. Period. I tried several times, but the phone just keeps ringing, nobody picks it up, or I get the answering machine, and although I left 2 message already this week, nobody called back. I feel I am on some isolated island. It's so strange that there is some invasive procedure to be done, and all info was one group infromation season 30-40 minutes, 20 people in one room watching video about colonoscopy. What the Dr said there was basically less than what I learned on the Internet. He played a video with Dr. Oz having his own colonoscopy and left.
Regarding the Pico preparation, I tend to take it in the PM the night before colonoscopy, as you said. My husband thinks otherwise. But I will go with the PM preparation.
I am still not sure how to switch to low fibre diet starting today, as I do not eat anything with low fibre. Now, I am afraid to eat anything. I am just so emotionally tired from all this, I just do not want to wake up in the morning, because it's 1st thing what's on my mind, last thing on my mind when I go to the bed, waking up several times during the night, with nightmarish thoughs. It's a pure hell, living like this.
Thank you for listening.
uram

Topics: 1