Introducing myself... HS and Fistula

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Introducing myself... HS and Fistula

Postby surlypants » 31 Jul 2012, 00:35

Hello from Canada,
Just found the site and thought I would say Hi. I've poked around the postings a bit and might have a unique story and some questions that haven't been asked before, but maybe not.
I was diagnosed with HS (hidradenitis superitiva) two years ago. I've had this condition since puberty, so 17 years now? It was/is pretty frustrating, wondering for that many years if this is normal. I figured it must be as I never had a doctor say anything about it during pap's until I had a super inflamed cyst and had to actually go to the doctor about it. She didn't know what it was... etc etc finally found a diagnosis and an awesome doctor.
Getting to the point... I have one chronic cyst that has never healed, beside my anus. I've learned to live with it more or less as it has been there for 10 years now. I know what upsets it (hot humid weather, being in a wetsuit 8 hours a day, being really sweaty... hey did I mention I'm a full time athlete?)
My doctor referred me to a surgeon to see about removing it, he has worked with people with HS before. Went in for local anesthetic to have it removed and he realized it wasn't an HS cyst, it was an anal fistula! Hurrah! So aborted that surgery and re-scheduled for general anesthetic next month.
I guess I'll update you post surgery on how that goes...
Q. Anal sex post surgery? How long to wait? I'll try and get over my embarrassment and take one for the team and ask the doctor this pre-surgery.
Also, why are Med students so cute? It just ups the embarrassment factor!
I think the sad part of this is that our society has such a denial attitude about anything pooh or sex related that it took forever to get a diagnosis. The funny part of this is I've NEVER had a guy ask me about any of these cysts/fistula... even though they are quite visible. I was self conscious about this at first, but then it just never came up. What if I actually HAD an STI? Seriously people, let's talk about this stuff. But I'm preaching to the choir now so I'll shut it.
surlypants

Topics: 1

Re: Introducing myself... HS and Fistula

Postby jr2 » 31 Jul 2012, 14:00

So glad to hear you finally got a correct diagnosis and will be able to receive the correct treatment.
You are so right about being open and talking about these things, and especially so with doctors. There is nothing to gain by holding anything back from doctors who are there to help. But there is needless suffering when anyone holds back their questions and concerns out of embarrassment. These are painful problems in sensitive areas of the body and deserve to be treated with the same respect and dignity as any other part of the body.
Can't help with the anal sex question, but do not hesitate to ask your surgeon about it. It's your life to live, and you have no reason to hesitate asking all of your questions.
Wishing you the best of luck with your surgery!
jr2

Topics: 15