Happy after having LIS

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Happy after having LIS

Postby Cren » 01 Aug 2012, 11:42

Hi everybody! I just registered to this forum but I have been reading your posts for about 5 months. I was diagnosed with anal fissure(s) in March 2012 and have been in lots of pain since. I tried every possible cream, medication, diet....I finally decided to have LIS and I had it last week. The pain went away immediately after. I am now 6 days after the surgery and feel like I'm in Heaven :). I should have done it earlier! I should mention that I have no incotinence issues and no bleeding. BMs are easy. I take Miralax and Mineral Oil to help keep away constipation for a month as per my surgeon's advice.
Just wanted to share this good news with you and to thank you for all your advice.
Cren
Cren

Topics: 1

Re: Happy after having LIS

Postby boodles » 02 Aug 2012, 23:31

I'm so happy for you! Thanks for sharing your outcome and keeping us posted!
boodles
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Re: Happy after having LIS

Postby ommu » 15 Sep 2012, 03:00

I had LIS two weeks ago for a chronic fissure. I was out of hospital the same day and was put on antibiotics, and sitz baths by my surgeon, along with a stool softener. The pain was gone in a few days and had no problem in first defecation, although I was quite scared. As I developed diarrhea therefore my surgeon stopped antibiotics and stool softener. The recovery had been up and down for last two weeks. I went to work four days after the surgery. I am feeling much better now, in the last few days. I suspect that I developed some sort of minor infection in the first week which I was able to control through sitz baths and antibiotics. Since I could not take stool softeners, I resorted to other natural remedies to avoid constipation. One such remedy that I would like to share is the use of figs and raisins. I would leave three figs and three to four large raisins (black) soaked in water (enough just to cover them) overnight in a mug and eat them first thing in the morning and drink the water also after I have had one or two glasses of plain water. This really helped with the constipation. I have been using this for quite a long time and it always helps. I would also take a fibre rich breakfast. I have found sitz baths to be crucial for healing. Please continue taking them even after your doctor tells there is no need for them (which was after three days for me) and keep the area clean with baby-wipes etc. I had discharge from the wound (also had a skin tag removed) but it is gone now, thank God. I started light exercise a few days after surgery but found that brisk walk was exacerbating my condition, and had to stop it. I wish all those who are considering LIS to go for it, but do pick an experienced surgeon, as it is very important.
ommu