Avoid insoluble? What if you have high cholesterol?

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Avoid insoluble? What if you have high cholesterol?

Postby MonkeyButt » 27 Aug 2012, 20:05

HC runs in my family and I've been told I need 30g at least of soluble fiber a day plus insoluble. My numbers are better on the high fiber diet. I also have IBS and need to have fiber for that, and I thought insoluble was supposed to help clean the colon. But with the fissure, it's better to avoid insoluble fiber? I'm trying also, to figure out if I have a food allergy that causes the gas and bloating (mostly eliminated when I became vegetarian and I was tested negative for celiac) since it seems so darn random. I could be fine and flat and then bloated so big I look expecting. Are there some insoluble fiber sources that are better for fissures than others? What is your experience?
MonkeyButt
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: Avoid insoluble? What if you have high cholesterol?

Postby mistergus » 27 Aug 2012, 20:20

No, you need both soluble and insoluble fiber. Both have their own function and benefits.
But in my case, I clearly do better with an emphasis on soluble. Other posts I have seen lead me to believe many others have come to the same conclusion.
I take the Metamucil capsules with every meal, They are about one third insoluble, two thirds soluble. For me, I think that's about right.
mistergus
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2