Infection or normal?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Infection or normal?

Postby Sue27uk » 02 Sep 2012, 11:57

I'm sorry to put this on here, and I know the only sensible thing to do is go and see my GP (which I'm doing tomorrow) but thought I would ask. I am 8 weeks post-op fissurotomy and botox where he laid open the fissure wide to re-heal. About 3 weeks ago things stopped improving. I am still having very painful bms, not when I am actually going but about 20 seconds afterwards. This lasts for about 10 minutes then calms. I thought this was all part of the healing, as I have been able to travel a bit further and walk a bit more. But over the past few nights I had some discharge which was a pinky orange colour. I thought no more of it, it came out when I applied the rectogesic which I was told to do. Unfortunately last night I got some yellow looking discharge which I have had again this morning and tonight, clearly not old cream as I first thought. The area is extremely itchy until I kind of wipe the area and remove this funny looking stuff. It doesn't really smell too horrible, but I have been having pain over the last week going up my left bum cheek to between my bum cheeks at the top and when I touched it this morning it was quite painful. There are no visible signs of any problems, just pain and this weird stuff. Anyone had anything like this??? I don't have much pain unless I am having a bm which is why I am a bit confused as its not a sharp knife like pain like a fissure but an all over soreness. Any input would be appreciated, I am trying not to freak out and was hoping that I could get through to my follow-up appointment on Thursday!! But this stuff has got me a bit concerned :(
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Topics: 21

Re: Infection or normal?

Postby Ever the Optimist » 02 Sep 2012, 15:48

Hi Sue,
Really sorry to read this and of course I don't know for sure but think you are doing the right thing in getting it checked out soon. I think some discharge can be normal at your stage but not too sure on what type of discharge. The fact you are itching too could suggest an infection, but sometimes healing too. I think if you feel in your own mind that it doesn't feel right then you have good reason to see your GP in the meantime. If you have an infection, hopefully a course of anti-biotics will help clear it and at least you then have your follow-up on thursday to check it all out more thoroughly. Pls update & hope you manage to sort things tomorrow with your GP :)
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby andyk123 » 03 Sep 2012, 13:51

Well like ever the optomist says, you are definately doing the right thing going to the docs.
i would only be speculating, but i would priobly be having the same worries as you.
thinking positively, if it is an infection, maybe that is why you are still having pain, and once infection clears the pain will go? it certainly doesnt sound like the type of fissure pain ive experienced, the way it doesnt hurt during the bm and it isnt sharp.
anyway - i hope you get some good advice and help from the docs
andyk123
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby Ever the Optimist » 04 Sep 2012, 12:02

Hi Sue,
How are you feeling? Did you get it checked out? :)
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Postby Ever the Optimist » 04 Sep 2012, 14:09

Hi Sue, found this in the sticky fistula thread.....does this sound like your discharge?? :)
"Serous Fluid - Those with closed wounds should be on the lookout for Serous fluid, which is yet another interesting wound healing byproduct that the body creates to help dilute the toxins produced by bacteria and toxic products being released from dying cells. In addition, the serous fluid helps to carry plasma proteins and leukocytes to the wound site. Lastly, the serous fluid assists in removing bacterial toxins, dead cells, debris, and other products of inflammation. For those with a closed incision (sutures), this fluid can build up inside the surgical site and the drainage can be a large (scary) amount of yellow/orange fluid. Usually nothing needs to be done other than to cover the open spot to protect the clothes, but your surgeon should still be contacted because similar fluid can come out of the wound in the case of a rare but more serious wound complication"
Ever the Optimist

Postby Sue27uk » 06 Sep 2012, 12:41

Aw thank you everyone! Good news, no infection! Part fo the healing my doc and CRS think. Been for my follow-up tonight so will update on my other thread :)
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Topics: 21

Postby Savaici » 06 Sep 2012, 14:08

Good to read that it is not infection, Sue27uk!
Good luck with your continued healing. Image
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby Ever the Optimist » 06 Sep 2012, 14:19

Great news Sue! Really happy or you :D
Ever the Optimist

Postby Ever the Optimist » 06 Sep 2012, 14:19

"for" even!
Ever the Optimist