IS it a fissure? Useless doctors

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

IS it a fissure? Useless doctors

Postby laouch » 12 Sep 2012, 12:03

I've seen 3 doctors in 2 days that have diagnosed me with "probably" an anal fissure. None have actually seen it due to blood/inability to "relax" the anus enough. I have extreme bleeding and pain during bowel movements, including blood clots. From what I've been reading here, that much blood *doesn't* seem all that common with an anal fissure. One doctor thought it seemed so bad he sent me straight to a surgeon. The surgeon told me to take laxatives and pain killers and it'll go away on it's own. Only, it's getting progressively worse (which I told him). It started with just bleeding, then much more bleeding, then pain.
Has anyone here had a similar experience? I think you guys are better informed than my doctors.
laouch
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: IS it a fissure? Useless doctors

Postby Sue27uk » 12 Sep 2012, 13:17

I can't comment on the blood situation as thats never really been an issue for me. I know some people get a larger amount of blood but yours seems a bit much to be honest. Particularly as you have clots, I would try and get to see another doctor. I would recommend trying Movicol or lactulose and see if your doctor will give you rectogesic or an equivalent. Try drinking lots of water and more fibre and see if theres an improvement. If there is no improvement I would go back, make a nuisance of yourself! I have not always found doctors that helpful, don't give up until someone helps you. Good luck! Keep us updated :)
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Topics: 21

Postby suzyljank » 12 Sep 2012, 13:20

Hi sorry you're in pain. It sounds like a fissure but until you get a proper exam it's a guess. I'm surprised the surgeon didn't suggest a rectal exam under anesthesia. The pain you're describing sounds like spasm. They can become extremely painful. Try sitting in a warm tub of warm or sit on a heating pad set on low. It really helps. Watch your diet and drink plenty of fluids. Take miralax or milk of magnesia and fiber supplement daily. This will make it easier to have a BM. Lubricating with some Vaseline or ky helps the stool come out easier too. Keep the area clean because it can also make your bum burn. Find yourself a good doctor. I hope things improve. Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby laouch » 12 Sep 2012, 13:46

Thanks for the replies. I got in touch with the dr that referred me to the surgeon. He's referring me to another surgeon. It was suggested that I could do a rectal exam under anesthesia, but it was suggested like I was being ridiculous. I've had kidney stones in the past, and as a consequence drink a *lot* of water, all the time, so I don't think it's possible to up my water intake.
I've tried the bath thing, doesn't hurt or help. A hot pad works okay, though. I'll go with Miralax, too. I kind of stopped eating for a day or two, but that's not really a long-term solution, so I'll need to start taking that.
The worst of it is that I'm fairly certain I'm about to be offered a job (teaching) and am freaking out about possibly changing insurance and my ability to actually do the job while in this much pain. Teaching jobs don't exactly have flexible start dates, either.
laouch
Fibre Addict

Postby ZeeZee » 12 Sep 2012, 15:43

Hey La, I'd like to share my two cents.. Try to stay calm, I knw it's hard seeing blood in the bowl whn you go but as long as it's bright red, it's not tht bad.. It happens to me too, well, before my surgery.. I don't believe your GP's are treating you like tht, they need to be more compastionate and understand the 'human' side.. Suzy and ETO are good, listen to her advice.. Try to stay calm and keep at the Docs until you get an ease or an explanation! Stay well! Let us knw how it goes!
ZeeZee
ZeeZee
Salt Bather

Postby laouch » 12 Sep 2012, 19:54

Good update, as good as possible anyway. Doctor #4 says it's definitely a fissure and possibly also internal hemorrhoids. He's operating tomorrow or Friday, to both look further and to remove the fissure, but not LIS yet.
laouch
Fibre Addict

You might have what I have

Postby Coconut Oil Healed me » 18 Sep 2012, 22:43

Four years ago I was involved in a motor vehicle accident which caused a great deal of pain. I have been using pain killers - (NSAIDS non-steroidal anti-inflammatories) 6-8 times a day for the past four years. I ended up with inflamed bowels. Incredible pain in my lower bowel area. No pain in the upper abdomen. Initially the doctors thought it was just an anal fissure and the bleeding was due to internal hemorrhoids. But it was the ADVIL and other drugs that was causing the burning sensation in my rear and the bleeding.
The more pain I had the more ADVIL and anti-inflammatories I took. Unknowingly causing more pain.
As soon as I stopped the Advil the bleeding stopped. GOOGLE "excessive NSAIDS".
I have had two colonoscopies. On both they could not see any inflammation but when they did biopsies they found bowel inflammation. I am taking hyrdocortisone acetate 10% enema foam (CORTIFOAM).
I healed the anal fissure with virgin coconut oil.
I went to emergency five times before they figured out I had colitis. Internal hemorrhoids usually do not cause any pain.
I have stopped all pain killers for my back and only use a sleeping pill at night. The bleeding has stopped.
I was going to the bathroom 10 - 30 times a day. I was good in the morning until I had my first bowel movement and then my sphincter would be spasming continually until I had another bowel movement. It was the body pushing out all the poison. By the end of the day I was pushing out a small amount of yellow pus from the inflamed bowel.
So my anal fissure is healed, the scope tests revealed no visible problems (hemorrhoids) inside, yet still I had burning pain, especially sitting. It turns out I have inflamed bowels and the enema foam has greatly decreased the pain.
I almost had my sphincter sliced open when the real pain was just inside my anus area due to inflammation caused by too many pain killers.

Coconut Oil Healed me
Fibre Addict

Postby laouch » 19 Sep 2012, 11:31

Wow, that sounds incredibly awful, and worse than what I had/have. Despite the horrible pain, I actually wasn't taking any pain killers, so I know the bleeding wasn't due to that.
I actually had surgery on Thursday, and the doctor said it was a very deep fissure and internal hemorrhoids, which he removed. I now have a near-constant stomach ache, but I'm hoping that's a reaction to the stool softeners. A tiny bit of blood on the toilet paper after a bowel movement, but I'm hoping that's because I'm only on my 6th post-op day.
I suspect I do have some underlying stomach disorder, but that remains undiagnosed for now.
laouch
Fibre Addict

Postby PinkSparkle » 19 Sep 2012, 14:05

Geez, Coconut guy, I've been taking some NSAIDS for a while without realizing they might be causing abdominal pain and other complications.
Actually I got my first fissure about 2 months after starting taking them... I'll see my doctor next week as I do need some pain killers Image
Did you give up all pain meds?
PinkSparkle
Salt Bather

Topics: 4