Healed

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Healed

Postby dan2012 » 23 Sep 2012, 07:46

Gosh, this is the post I dreamed about for months - actually, during the worst of my pain, I would think about the "Healed" post multiple times a day, and for long it looked like I'd never get to write it.
But here it is, I'm H-E-A-L-E-D.
I know it might come back and it's common to carry fissures for life. Actually, this was my second time with a fissure, although the first one, 10 years ago, healed in a few days without any medicine.
I won't tell my whole story again, you can see a good amount of detail on my last post:
http://anal-fissure.org/t5304-pain-and-blood-free-for-2-weeks#77314
HOWEVER, I must highlight one thing: I had tried everything and nothing was really working on my fissure. Two things did the trick, and I really hope these can help some people in this forum:
1) I was eating too much fiber. My stools were bulky and I was going to the bathroon 3-5 times a day. This was really making it worse, even with Miralax. The doctor who delivered my cure told me to eat MORE and eat LESS FIBER as a percentage of what I eat. This reduced my bowel movements and might have helped because I was simply not eating enough nutrients for my healing to take place.
2) ISOSORBIDE DINITRATE 2% on a lanette cream base (looks like white toothpaste): my doctor knows diltiazem, nifedipine etc and I used all of these. However, he said that since he started using Isosorbide, he hadn't performed a single LIS. Not that LIS is bad, he said, actually he said it's "great" because "it's the only surgery where the patient gets in with pain and leaves without!". His botton line was: Isosorbide had been 100% effective with him and I wasn't exception to the rule.
Let me stress how effective the treatment was: in my previous 3 months, I had never spent 3 days in a row without blood and pain. Nifedipine and Diltiazem helped, but didn't really heal me. In less than a week with the treatment above, I was HEALED.
I still have a bit of a hemorrhoid problem - in the past 5 weeks, I had 1 instance of minor bleeding from constipation, but with no pain. I've been more than a month without any pain. My fissure is gone!
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask!
Last, but not least, I'd like to thank EVERYBODY in this forum who helped me. I know how difficult this condition is, and I know that I might not even be cured "for good". We take life as it comes. However, it became more clear than ever that we need each other to navigate through the many challenges that are presented to us throughout our time on this earth.
I really appreciate everything you did to me, it was immensely helpful and I don't know if I could do it without your help and the help of my family. I was still come to the forum and try to help others, but possibly I'll be here a bit less often (unless it comes again I guess :( )
THANK YOU! :)
dan2012
Salt Bather

Topics: 14

Re: Healed

Postby richibeno » 23 Sep 2012, 09:30

great news ,keep healed
richibeno
VIP

Topics: 28

Postby Lauren12 » 23 Sep 2012, 10:39

Really pleased for you. :)
I agree with you about not overdoing it on the fibre. I reduced my fibre intake as I was having abnormally large stools which were aggravating things. The object is to have solft stools and enough bulk to carry it through. I tend to concentrate on soluble fibre rather than insoluble.
Lauren12
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Jtoz54 » 27 Sep 2012, 17:36

I have a history of hemmorrhoids since I had my kids 20 years ago. External thrombosed hems, internal ones, bleeding ones and 4 surgeries for the thrombosed ones. I always take metamucil psyllium to make sure I get enough fiber. This summer I fell down the stairs and had a very bad flair-up of hems. I kept taking the metamucil which does create large BMs. A few days later I got which I now know was a fissure, but at the time didnt. I kept thinking it was only hems and was confident that I could heal myself as I have in the past. But each day the pain got worse and worse, unbearable. I would scream, cry, pray and feel faint and nauseous. It was worse than childbirth. This went on for 2 months. But it never dawned on me to use a stool softener and hot sitz bath. I finally went to my
surgeon for a sygmoidoscopy. I didnt realize that the sphincter was already in spasms and I screamed all the way through the exam. This caused a major set back. He sent me home with a prescription for nifedipine ointment to relax the sphincter and told me to take sitz baths and a stool softener. I bought Milk of Magnesia. I took 2 every night when I went to bed. What a difference. Why didnt I ever get a laxative before I could have felt better a month ago.
I was already out of work a few days and have now been out for 2 wks. That week my sphinter was in such a spasm and the pain was unbearable. I couldnt have a BM unless I sat in the hot sitz bath to relax the muscle. At first I thought it was weird but then I realized that going in the sitz bath was toleraable, so I did, for 10 days. I also inserted the nifedipine cream 3 or 4 times a day. And I soaked in the sitz bath about 6 or 7 times a day. Before and after each BM to relieve pain. A few days ago I thought I was still headed for a sphinterotomy but suddenly I was able to have a BM without the sitz bath, although I did soak right afterward. Now I will have to wean myself off the laxative. I am a little afraid to do this cause I am normally on the hard side. Well I am definitely seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Today I didnt have that horrible burning pain. I am sure it is nearly healed. If I ever feel it come back I will immediatly start the milk of magnesia, sitz bath and nifedipine. Good luck to everyone, Joan
Jtoz54

Postby BillUltra » 13 Oct 2012, 11:00

There's nothing like that first week of tentative recognition that nothing feels painful or strange in your rectum, your stools are regular and smooth, and you start realizing you are recovering. Congrats to you!
I am also healed from my second fissure, but my path to recovery was strictly diet. I am still largely adhering to the diet, so I am never constipated, and I'm hopeful I will not have a recurrence. Last time I healed was from surgery, but the fissure came back after a botched colonoscopy.
BillUltra
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 19