Some hope please?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Some hope please?

Postby xanderla30 » 03 Oct 2012, 17:25

I have only been suffering extreme pain during bowel movements since last Thursday, and since then I have drastically changed my diet and water intake and managed to get myself on a regular schedule of only having a bowel movement in the morning when I wake up. It's still extremely painful.
My doctor gave me lidocaine and nifedipine that I have been using since yesterday. I can't get in to see the surgeon until Oct. 24th. Am I going to be in this much pain indefinitely? :(
It's unbearable. Throughout the day it does not hurt much, just a little sore, and a few stings here and there depending on how I move, but just the thought of knowing what is coming each and every morning. After reading a lot of posts on this board I am just feeling more and more hopeless. I have read some good positive ones, but that is usually after surgery right? I can't imagine being in this much pain every day for another month or however long it takes me to be scheduled for a surgery. Will it go away or at least ease up on its own some?
xanderla30
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: Some hope please?

Postby Savaici » 03 Oct 2012, 18:12

Hi again,
We are not doctors on here, and questions as to whether the pain will ease up on its own are difficult to answer. Your fissure sounds very new and as such is more likely to be healed by Nifedipine (which relaxes the muscle and allows blood to get to the area) than someone who has left their fissure until the chronic stage. There is a lot of information on here about diet, water, fiber and not getting constipated.
Just a thought. Some of us on here have been in pain for years, not days, so we know exactly how you are feeling. If you feel you are in too much pain, try taking ibuprofen which is anti-inflammatory.
By the way, just to help you, it is easier to stay on one post as it can get confusing when you write in different places. Pain can make us do that, but for your own benefit you will find it easier to have just the one thread.
Keep using the Nifedipine regularly and the Lidocaine. Might just do it for you! Also, a Sitz bath has been a wonderful thing for many of us.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby xanderla30 » 03 Oct 2012, 18:29

Apologize for the multiple posts. Thanks for your response though.
I do take ibuprofen. I am also barely eating. Just enough to calm hunger pains really because I am so terrified of the next bm. They are soft so far, but still painful.
I know that a lot of people here have been in pain for years. That is what is scaring me the most I think.
Thanks again for the kind response. :-)
xanderla30
Fibre Addict

Postby cherylk » 03 Oct 2012, 19:01

Make your stools as soft as possible w/o being runny. Try taking some Miralax to get them softened up to help make BM's more comfortable. One of the keys to healing a fissure is getting your BM's soft and regular. Good luck and don't despair!
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby cherylk » 03 Oct 2012, 19:44

Also, many, many people have left this board over the years because they healed and no longer need to be here!!
cherylk
VIP

Postby xanderla30 » 03 Oct 2012, 19:45

thank you Cherylk, i appreciate it.
I am just so stressed about it all, it's incredible. I think I will feel better once I get to talk to the surgeon too, but this board definitely helps (For the most part, except for some of the horror stories. I should really stop reading those...)
xanderla30
Fibre Addict

Postby cherylk » 03 Oct 2012, 19:54

There is a very big emotional component with having an AF. But it can be a vicious circle--stress makes it worse, and being/feeling worse causes more stress. You might think about getting on an A/D to help calm your nerves if your GP will prescribe one for you! In the meantime, you also might try the squatting position which many people have found helpful in that it provides less stress on the rectal area. Try to think good thoughts (if possible) when having a BM. And also try searching for the many success stories which are listed on the board. Good luck!
cherylk
VIP

Postby owmybum » 04 Oct 2012, 02:08

I completely understand how panicked you feel. The thought of having to put up with intolerable pain is unbearable. It's still early days for you though and there is a lot of hope that you can get through this in minimum time. Try to stay positive. Keep your stools soft, drink plenty, take some painkillers just before a bm to lessen the blow.
Just remind yourself that just because some on here have had a real tough time, that doesn't mean you will. We are all different.
Take care
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby notmuchfunanymore » 05 Oct 2012, 14:00

Soft stools is the key to decreased pain!!
It takes some time to get to the point when it stops hurting, but keep at it.
Besides everything mentioned, try also sitting on a warm heat bag/ bean bag. It can help ease the pain.
Although my fissure has not healed over the past 9 months, (and I have to wait 1 yr to see a surgeon), I can say that as long as I keep my poops soft I don't have any pain shitting or otherwise. The key for me is Miralax, if I don't have that-- well, yikes.
I say a Hail Mary when I poo.
notmuchfunanymore
Salt Bather

Topics: 17