New member..long time reader :(

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

New member..long time reader :(

Postby clarit » 05 Oct 2012, 14:26

Just want to say how helpful this board has been...back when my fissure was at its most unbearable, and before I knew exactly what it was, i'd lay on my stomach (the least painful position for me) in agony, scouring the internet for answers. I recall daydreaming about all the other places i would "wish" the pain would travel to, thinking at least if it were an arm, or a leg, it could heal--or be amputated. As dramatic as that sounds, when i'd be in my 4th hour of a spasm, that is how my thinking would go.
For me, the worst of it lasted about 6 wks and that was 5 months ago. Improvement came when I started to use Metamucil twice a day, stool softeners, Magnesium at night and a "tissue and bone" balm I found at a healthfood store.
However, 5 mos later, i'm still very "aware" of the fissure..I dont have the spasms now, but if i have more than one bm per day, or spend too much time with toilet tissue, i will still have burning and discomfort.
My question is..is it ok after all this time to be using Metamucil still..everyday? I cant picture being able to mentally give it up, as I'm still traumatized by the memory of the spasms which lasted hours each day. I've also developed some almost superstitious beliefs about certain foods which for some reason i've never gone back to eating, because i associate them with that awful time. Unless someone suffers with this, i dont think they could understand what it does to someone, mentally. I'm just so grateful this forum existed when mine was at its worse..I was literally praying for death!
clarit
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: New member..long time reader :(

Postby cherylk » 05 Oct 2012, 19:35

AF's have affected many of us adversely mentally, unfortunately. I'm not sure why--probably because it is so difficult to function in this world with a sore *ss. I'm glad that you have found the forum helpful. There is no problem in using Metamucil (or other fiber supplements) everyday. Most people do not get enough fiber in their diets which has resulted in many rectal problems and constipation.
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46