I feel like a whimp after LIS (3 days post-op)

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

I feel like a whimp after LIS (3 days post-op)

Postby YourFavoritePainInTheAss » 22 Oct 2012, 12:00

HI All,
I had the LIS this past Friday morning and thought for sure I could go back to work by this Tuesday. My CRS even thought that it wouldn't be a problem. But, today (Monday) I have stopped taking the Percs and have just been using Motrin. I finally had a BM last night and realized that I may have been overusing the fiber...ouch! Today, I can barely walk without pain and bending over is a nightmare. The problem is that I am a Special Ed. Teacher and I can't return to work and do the best for my lovelies with this kind of discomfort. And, I had to extend my absence for a few more days, leaving my classroom staff to deal with everything without me. To make matters worse, due to having small children at home who 'enjoy' getting sick and using Mommy's sick days, I will be taking this time unpaid..before the holidays. My husband is super supportive, but I am just feeling down in the dumps (no pun intended). Am I the only one who can't seem to get back to normal 3 days post-op? I thought that pain would be no worse than the suffering with an anal fissure for 2 years. But, I think I overestimated my own strength. I have been doing the warm baths and showers, the colace, the water, and nothing seems to be working right. I am typically a cheerful and happy-go-lucky person, but today I feel like a whimp. Thanks for reading. Does anyone else feel this way or take so long to heal?
Image Image Image
YourFavoritePainInTheAss
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: I feel like a whimp after LIS (3 days post-op)

Postby Neen » 22 Oct 2012, 13:05

Hey Fav, dont be so hard on yourself! I think 3 days is so far fetched for the majority of people to recover. I had Lis and fissurectomy in April and then another fissurectomy in Sept. and I am still healing to say the least! I think so many things need to be factored into healing time and alot of those things are purely individual. I know the weirdness from the Lis affected me for longer than 3 days to be sure, and of course i had the fissurectomy as well, but I remember the Lis felt achey for a couple weeks. And being mum and a teacher puts a strain on the body for sure. So, I think 3 days is crazy to be feeling like a new person. Like I said, there may be some who heal fast, but I think the majority of us don't. so hang in there. Sorry you have to take unpaid days. I had to miss a trip to Germany to see my daughter, and I missed my oldest son graduating from college...I too thought I should have felt better to go, but I didn't and I just had to deal with it...still dealing with it! Good luck, relax and feel better!
Neen
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby jr2 » 22 Oct 2012, 13:27

Just wanted to reiterate what Neen says above. I think surgeons tend to minimize this surgery for some reason. Yes, it's true that some rare individuals do feel immediately better, but by far the majority of people I've known about say it takes much more time to recover than their surgeon led them to believe beforehand.
You just had surgery, and in a very sensitive, nerve-rich area. Surgery is a big deal to recover from, no matter what kind it is. Your body needs care, a combination of rest, gentle activity, nutritious food, and a stress free environment (to the extent possible). You are not a wimp. You are recovering from surgery. You need everyone's support, help and understanding, from work, to your family, and yes, even yourself. Be gentle with yourself. One day at a time.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby YourFavoritePainInTheAss » 22 Oct 2012, 18:41

thank you both for your responses!!! I truly think the CRS minimized the amount of healing needed to both me and my family. Maybe the CRS should have a knife or sharp object stuck into their rectums, just for good measure. Sorry...I digress..
I did have to take extra time off ofwork. While it will be difficult financially and professionally,I am hoping that these few days will give my body time to recoup and I can almsot function again.
Thank you again for your kind words. You guys really made this day so much better!!! Image
YourFavoritePainInTheAss
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2