2 weeks since surgery and a seton fitted...in despair

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

2 weeks since surgery and a seton fitted...in despair

Postby ras1970 » 06 Nov 2012, 03:55

Hi - First of all, thank god Ive found somewhere where other people seem to be having similar issues as myself...although I wouldnt wish this infliction on anyone!
2 weeks ago I had surgery to investigate recurrent abcesses that had been coming and going over the past 8 months. Following the surgery the surgeon informed me that they had inserted a probe into the fistula to see what was going on and found that it passed high up into the sphincter muscle - they originally wanted to just cut it open to heal. Because of this complexity they inserted a seton and I have to return on November 28th for an MRI.
Based on what Ive said, does anyone know what the likely next course of treatment will be?
The seton they have inserted is one of the most painful things Ive ever experienced! The muscle spasms and when it does this, its excruciating. For the first week, I was mostly constipated, but then when I went - again, the pain was horrendous. The constipation was a god send though as now I dread going!
There is lots of yellowy browny stuff coming out of the previous abscess hole and I am putting 2 dressings on per day - some days are worse than others. the discharge tends to be worse if I have eaten badly - does this sound about right?
Based on that, i think diet is going to be a big factor in how to manage these things....I didnt realise and have so far carried on eating much the same way as prior to the surgery.
Should the seton be so painful as it is with me? It has brought me to tears at times...not attractive for a 42 year old male!
ras1970

Topics: 1

Re: 2 weeks since surgery and a seton fitted...in despair

Postby richibeno » 06 Nov 2012, 15:01

hey ras
so you have a high fistula ,the seton goes throughit to keep it open so you dont get any more abscesses ,when it hs drained they will look at doing a procedure ,they may have put in a cutting seton to bring the fistula in to a low position,so they can then lay it open ,or they may plug it ,they will talk to you about it ,keep your diet soft ,loads of water ,take a stool softner ,eat well,
the drainage will continue for a while ,
richibeno
VIP

Topics: 28

Postby Savaici » 08 Nov 2012, 20:50

Hi ras,
So sorry that you are in such lousy pain. Don't know if you have check this link, but there might be some hints for you here. Derryboy has some good info there.
http://anal-fissure.org/t1856-fistula-surgery
Give your surgeon a call if you continue to have severe pain. Nobody should have to just put up with pain.
All the very best, and keep coming back and let us know how you are doing.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby ras1970 » 11 Nov 2012, 10:19

Hi...its been almost 3 weeks now since the surgery to have the seton placed. The pain has lessened greatly...the muscle spasms also are nowhere near as bad - I actually have days where it doesn't cause me too much discomfort...I still am getting blood and 'gunge' draining which I expect is normal. After a bm, it can make it worse which Im not sure is normal..but after a few hours the pain subsides...
Thanks for the info - it has been really useful...Ill post on my progress - I go for the MRI on 28th Nov and then see the consultant on 4th Dec....I'll update...
ras1970

Postby richibeno » 11 Nov 2012, 10:54

Hey ras good to hear its improving 'i still get some pain and discomfort' 'somtimes it lasts a while after a bm '
IV had my Seton in now for 5 weeks after my abscess started to burst the nurses say its healing fine 'im book ed in for my fistulotomy on the 11 Dec
I still get some drainage especially as I'm back to work which I stand for long periods''just make sure you eat well drink loads of water and rest'
richibeno
VIP

Topics: 28

Postby ras1970 » 04 Dec 2012, 14:22

Hi everyone... Well I went for the MRI and follow up consultation. My surgeon says that they are not sure still how far into the sphincter muscle my fistula goes so after 6 weeks of having the drainage seton in I am now booked in on 12th dec for a cutting seton to be placed...
Does anyone know the likelihood of success with this and the probability of any sort of incontinence or what else I can expect so that I am more prepared??
I don't get much pain now as I did when I first started with the drainage seton. It still get drainage of blood and stuff although doesn't seem as bad...
ras1970