Major problems because I ignored the signs

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Major problems because I ignored the signs

Postby thefer74 » 21 Nov 2012, 21:34

Hi
Last Friday, I wasn't feeling right. Very dizzy, nausea and sweating. I went to the bathroom and found alot of pus on the TP. I felt around and found a good size lump near the anal fissure that I thought was healed. It continued to drain all weekend. I finally bit the bullett and made an appt with a proctologist. I saw him yesterday on an emergency and it was not good. I should have gone in when I had the flare up in June.
The AF is pretty bad and will need surgery if we can't get it to heal. There is an absess behind the anal fissure. The skin around the anus is red and irritated from the pus. The exam was very painful. He did use the anoscope and at one point I had to ask him to stop. I wish he would get some numbing gel. He didn't see a hole coming out but there are indications that it will follow. There is a harden area and he could feel a tube. It is just a matter of time that it will turn into a fissua. He did end up numbing it and draining the pus. That will go to the lab for further testing. I was put on antibiotics, hydrocortosone suspsorities, Vicodin and Analpram Advanced.
He wants to see me after Thanksgiving at which time he hopes to do a better exam when the infection and pain is under control. If it is still bad at that time, I am looking at surgery in mid December because the infection is damaging tissues. We suspected that this started in June when I had a flare up. It came to a head this week. He told me that I should have come in sooner instead of waiting this long. If the absess comes back, then I have to go back and have it drained again. I am hoping that the medications will heal it and hold off surgery until summer but it doesn't look hopeful.
Any ideas on how this got so bad? It just sneaked up. I thought that I was completely healed as I was not bleeding or getting any pain. Since Friday, the pain has significantly increased. When does the drainage stop? Is there something better to use than a maxi pad?
thanks
thefer74
Salt Bather

Topics: 22

Re: Major problems because I ignored the signs

Postby jr2 » 21 Nov 2012, 22:27

I'm so sorry to hear about all you've been going through. You must be exhausted. I hope you're feeling things calming down a bit now. There really isn't solid explanation for why these things happen to some people. I really am glad you did get in to see the octor though and you are taking things one step at a time.
It's hard to say how long the drainage will go on for. I haven't had an abscess, but hopefully with your doctor visit and antiobiotics you will begin to see a lot of improvement over the next week. Hopefully someone with the experience of an abscess can give you some advice.
I just wanted to say I hope things improve for you very soon. Please keep us posted.
jr2

Topics: 15