Please share with me the first 72 hours after surgery

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Please share with me the first 72 hours after surgery

Postby wanna be bootylicious » 22 Nov 2012, 19:56

Greetings to all,
Let me first say that on this Thanksgiving Day I am thankful that this forum exsist. I am in such pain right now that I'm begging the Lord to deliver me! I had been managing my fissure tear and hemorriods through my diet all year while I was focused on my family and mother's health (yes I was avoiding taking care of myself). When my mother passed away in September, despite still focusing on my diet, the tear came back and I feel like bob-wire is tearing me up!!!! I wish I could have the procedure TODAY! I barely ate today because I don't want to have to go to the bathroom. Image
So, I know I will need someone to take me home after the procedure...but what about the following days? Will I need someone to stay with me? If so for how long? I had breast reduction surgery and I needed someone for a week. After both of my c-sections I only needed help for a week (but I was also 31 and 33).
Please give it to me straight....I appreciate your insight and again...I'm so thankful that you are here. Image
wanna be bootylicious

Topics: 1

First 72 hours

Postby Sorew5 » 23 Nov 2012, 05:29

Hi WB
I am one week post op. you definitely need someone on your first couple of days. I had my op on Friday and my boyfriend was home until Monday morning. I would say once you have had your first BM you will feel better about being left alone. I did have a friend visit to cook for me on the Monday but I was able to do things for myself by Tuesday. I didn't leave the house until Thursday so would recommend getting groceries before your op.
You may recover quicker. I had LIS and skin tag removal which is a little slower at recovery than just LIS.
Salt baths 3 times a day for first 5-6 days. Make sure you have plenty of nurofen and panadol. They will likely prescribe something stronger for first few days (tramadol made me sick so I had to stop). Sorbilax or lactulose help soften your bm post op. drink plenty of water. Also heat pack and ice pack really help. Heat pack helped get me to sleep when it was painful. Ice pack helped after painful BM's. First couple set you back a few hours (keep in mind everyone is different).
Hope this helps!
You'll be fine!
Sorew5
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: Please share with me the first 72 hours after surgery

Postby lovingwife » 23 Nov 2012, 06:27

Did you have a surgery to repair a fistula? I amalso going for this vert soon. I am also worried about the 1st 72 hours - but now I am miserable. To top it off,I have my 3 year Cat Scan to see if my Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma is still in remission. So I am so nervious, I lost 6 pounds worring (145 to 139 lbs) - not good for a 5'-6" male. I need to stop worring and start eating - but there is only so much I can take.
lovingwife
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1