8th Day Post Surgery - Is it Normal ... Please Advise

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

8th Day Post Surgery - Is it Normal ... Please Advise

Postby Help40 » 12 Dec 2012, 02:08

Hi
I am glad to see such a great support group .... I am reading quite a bit and am now seeking help on my personal situation.
I had done fistulectomy + a fissure removed both at 6 O'clock position, exactly last Wednesday 8 days ago ... Doctor (A general surgeon) sad he removed the whole track about 4-6 cm. Stayed in hospital two days and now on 2 weeks rest. Medicine advised are Flagyl, Ceforuxime axetil, and Diclofenac sodium .... for additional pain management I take 2 500mg Paracetamol (not prescribed by Dr.)
TWO concerns:
1(ONE) Intense PAIN at Bowel movement ... right after first motion goes; there is intense pain around the anus and this is inspite of taking stool softner MOVICOL
QUESTION 2: Is it normal? what to expect and how long would it take to heal.
2 (TWO) The discharge from the site has been pinkinsh yellowish for first 3/4 days and then yellows (sometime brownish which i think is due to incontinence - as per Dr. a temporary phase) .... BUT I had lot of pain generally in the area around wound (and not the anus) and today the discharge was greenish yellow mucous type puss ........ which scared me to the point (you name it) ..... since this sort of pain and discharge I used to have before surgery?
QUESTION 2: Is it normal? I am meeting Dr. today ... any advice as to what to ask?
Thanks in advance to all helpers ....
Help40

Topics: 1

Re: 8th Day Post Surgery - Is it Normal ... Please Advise

Postby Sorew5 » 12 Dec 2012, 06:09

The flagyl is antibiotic to stop infection. From what my CRS told me yellowish discharge is sign of infection and if I got that he told me to take flagyl. If you are taking it, I assume it will work soon. But he said its only infected if there is a lot of yellow discharge. Brownish/pinkish is normal.
Ask surgeon about his recommendations for your diet. He told me to take sorbitol or lactulose. If I stop then bm's get worse. I still have pain during and after and I am 26 days post op so I think pain 8 days later is normal.
Healing is different for everyone. Your fistula op probably needs more recovery than just LIS. Take a list of questions with you. I found ibuprofen more effective than paracetamol ESP for bm. Check with surgeon whether you can take that on top of what you are on. Good luck!
Sorew5
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby Help40 » 13 Dec 2012, 05:59

Thanks Sorew5
I visited Dr. yesterday ... he had a look and said things are going fine and the original track is removed ... for puss he mentioned could be due to infected glands around the area and change the antibiotic to Ciprofloxacin ... but the overall pain has reduced now ...
for toilet time pain, he said is due to tightness in muscles and it indeed remains challenge ... I don't know how long it would be to get things normal ... I am trying to drink more water and avoid red meata / bread
Rest he asked me to keep the area clean ... and keep using Movicol ...
Estimated recovery time as per him is 3-4 weeks ... I am gonna see him again in about 4 days
Help40

Postby richibeno » 13 Dec 2012, 08:42

hey help
i had a fistulotomy on tueday went well ,he he cut out the fistula track little higher than first though ,had my first bm today went ok ,cleaned up with some warm water wet wipes then used then used the hand held shower ,then dried with a towl and hair dryer
went back an hour later because it felt not quite clean ,so i sat in my portable bidet and had a warm water soak ,there was some debris in water after,
have to keep your self as clean as you possibly can ,
i think my fistula was in the 6 oclock position ,
my wound feels a little swollen at the mo you can feel the grove he has cut out hope this settles down in a few days ,keep up on the movicol ,no hard foods ,loads of water
richibeno
VIP

Topics: 28

Postby Help40 » 13 Dec 2012, 11:41

Hi Richibeno
Congrats ... Looks great that you had your first BM quite smooth ... yeah cleaning up is a challenge and swelling is norm
For me prior to surgery, this pain right after BM was there and sometimes quite intense ... Dr.s thought it was due to fissure/scar/muscle spasm ... (it wasn't due to fissure itself, since I experienced that one too ... a v. sharp one)
Now the Dr. removed the fissure ... but the intense pain right after or during BM is there ... I can't empty up at one time ... have to have warm to hot water sitz bath immediately ...
Its now a wait and see mode ... I am optimistic though
Help40