First time sufferer questions.

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

First time sufferer questions.

Postby King24 » 16 Jan 2013, 06:12

Hello,
I'm about 4 days into what my doctor assumes is an anal fissure and I've researched as much as I could but there are still some questions which I can't seem to find answers for and I was hoping someone could help me.
1 - My BM's feel very slightly sharp/stinging although I've been eating more fibre, is this just the sensation of the stool passing over an open wound that makes it seem like it's sharp or stinging or should I start taking some softeners along with the increased fibre just incase?
2 - Going to the toilet, my BM's are still about half watery with very small but several solid stools, should I go every single time I need to pass or should I try to regulate myself to twice a day like I have been (Once before bed and once after breakfast and before my morning shower)
3 - I first saw some very light, practically pink blood stains on my TP, they seem to be consistent in amount of blood and there's never any in my stool or the toilet water, should I just ignore this as a side effect of the open wound?
Sorry if there is actually answers around for these questions, I've looked as much as possible but these things seem to have eluded me thus far.
Thank you.
EDIT~
Sorry to be a bother with the question, but I have another I'd like to tack onto the end of these. Basically question one and two are no longer required to be answered, it seems my diet just took a while to kick in, my stools are a lot softer and getting closer to normal size.
My added question is, my pain has practically all gone, I have enough 45 seconds of very minimal pain after going to the toilet, but the amount of blood has increased. It's very bright red and is still only on the toilet tissue, I noticed some on the side of the toilet but that was after a BM in which I passed gas midway through so I'm assuming that's how it happened. More to the point, should I be worried about the increase in blood or should I just keep monitoring it until I return to the doctors on Tuesday? It's not causing me any problems, no light-headedness or dizziness it's just very daunting to see that much blood on your toilet paper, I'm sure all of you have gone through the feeling before.
Last edited by King24 on 17 Jan 2013, 07:53, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Additional information required
King24

Topics: 1

Re: First time sufferer questions.

Postby jr2 » 18 Jan 2013, 19:00

Hi King,
The blood amount isn't an easy question to answer over the internet. You really need to have the doctor check you out. It doesn't necessarily mean things have gotten worse, or that it's something to worry about. In the meantime, no need to worry really. You're being seen soon. I don't know how much blood you're talking about, but it takes a whole lot of blood loss to become an emergency situation.
Glad to hear you're getting the diet sorted. It can be really tricky to try and get the diet part to work for you and it usually takes a lot of experimenting. Many times a stool softener is needed when diet alone doesn't give soft enough stools that are easy to pass.
Good luck at the doctor! Let us know how it goes!
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby Port » 18 Jan 2013, 22:12

My guess is that if the blood stops after the BM then it's the pressure of going causing it. I remember freaking out when there was blood on the stool, the TP and in the bowl, so I know how you feel. Bright red blood is usually a good sign, as freaky as it looks. The Miralax I use took about 2 to 3 days to kick in and then it's fine tuning time, you don't want the runs. In my case I think the increase in fiber without enough water and stool softener caused my first AF. Also if you've had overzealous hemorrhoid surgery in the past it can cause problems. Good luck at the Doctors.
Port
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby King24 » 19 Jan 2013, 00:48

Thanks guys.
I seem to have mostly under control for the most part now, the blood is barely visible on my toilet paper and the only pain I get is when my stool breaches my anus, so I'm assuming my fissure is somewhere right near the exit. I was a tad scared the past few days because I think I went overboard on the fibre and I ended up having to go to the toilet nearly every 2 hours like clockwork but it seems to have normalised itself now and I'm trying to work fibre into my normal diet instead of making fibre the centre point of every meal, hopefully it works out soon.
King24

Postby owmybum » 19 Jan 2013, 07:36

Yes.. Too much fibre can cause problems too. It's a hard job getting it just right for you.
Glad to hear things have settled down again for you though... Seeing blood always makes me feel panicky... Hopefully your dr can assure you it's only fissure related.
OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby King24 » 21 Jan 2013, 05:56

Well, I went to the doctors this morning because I had some extra time and he gave me a proper looking over and says I have a skin tag and gave me some cream called Rectinol, as far as I can tell it's some zinc oxide cream. I suppose I just need to keep applying this until it goes away. Still unsure whether this is good news or not, but at least it's something.
King24