Holistic medicine?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Holistic medicine?

Postby trieditall » 27 Jan 2013, 15:00

Has anyone tried to see a holistic doctor for this problem? I'm currently considering this option, as I feel I've tried most options in the medical community. A little background... have had my fissure for almost two years and it is much worse now then it has ever been. I have soft stools, it just won't heal. I drink water all day long, eat more fiber than anyone ever should, use miralax and stool softeners, and take ibuprofen every morning for help with the pain. I also use nifedipine ointment and have had one round of botox injections. I recently got a second opinion and he recommended a second round of botox. Apparently I'm not a great candidate for LIS because I'm a young female and haven't had children yet. Both doctors I have seen strongly suggest not having LIS if you plan to have children because it can make you incontinent at the time of delivery, if it doesn't after the operation. Lovely. Anyway, the first round of botox was fine injection-wise, but the stretching and subsequent ripping that occurred in order to receive the injections was terrible. It is what made my fissure so much worse, including the formation of a skin tag, which is new. So, I feel like I might try seeing a holistic doctor and having someone take a look at my whole life... everything about my diet, supplements, stress, and hopefully help me figure out why this won't heal. I am so sick of altering my life, at the age of 25, for this stupid problem. Just thought I'd see if anyone else had gone this route and if you were met with any success! Thoughts from those who haven't gone this route are also welcomed!
trieditall
Salt Bather

Topics: 10

Re: Holistic medicine?

Postby trieditall » 27 Jan 2013, 15:16

I'm not sure... just google it. I googled "holistic doctor maryland" and found a bunch. It's not covered by insurance. Places I'm looking are like $250 for the initial visit so I don't know... I think it could be worth it.
Do you take a bath after bowel movement? I do it every morning after I go and it really helps. It's much, much worse for the whole day if I can't get to a tub immediately after. The warm water calms the spasms.
trieditall
Salt Bather

Topics: 10

Postby delasama » 27 Jan 2013, 16:01

yes yesterday and today both i had two bm's in morning and could barely walk after. i dont think the spasms would have died down at all if i hadnt jumped in tub
delasama
King Fissure

Topics: 31

Postby ring of fire » 27 Jan 2013, 19:46

I am going to see a naturopathic (sp) doctor this week. She is in northern Va if anyone needs her name...just let me know. Her initial consult is 30 min and is free. If I decide to go back it is 1 1/2 hours for $150. She does take insurance, just not mine :( I can update on what she says later this week.
I have had a fissue since I was a teen, I'm now 37. Got so much worse after 2nd pregnancy even with a c-section. That was in 2003. Suffered on and off until 2010 when I had LIS and a thrombosed hemm removed. Thought that would be the end of it all... it wasn't. I have been worse since then. Incision site didn't heal completely and existing fissue is now larger and deeper. An experienced CRS did NOT do my surgery...big mistake but I was living in Spain at the time.
Now I'm in awful pain every day. I too use the tub to help but it is no longer doing the trick for me. Miralax is a god send for softer stools. Give it a try if you haven't.
ring of fire
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Postby delasama » 27 Jan 2013, 23:56

yes please let us know what doc says
delasama
King Fissure

Postby owmybum » 28 Jan 2013, 03:08

Yes... I'd be really interested too.
OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby ring of fire » 30 Jan 2013, 16:30

Hello again all. I am seeing the naturopathic doc tomorrow and will post. Today, I saw a CRS today and she said I have a 50% chance of healing with the nifed. I am really happy with that! She said to apply it just inside to about the first pinky nuckle 3x day for the nxt 8 weeks.
She also said to stop the Miralax and switch to 2 Colace tablets over the next few days.
She recommended probiotics - good ones with multiple strains.
And to add 10 grams of fiber like Metamucil to my diet each day. She was happy with my cutting out the coffee and gave me a list of foods to avoid. I can type it in if anyone asks for it.
Also said to use Calmoseptine ointment on the outside.
Praying for healing and hope that posting this helps someone else.
ring of fire
Salt Bather

Postby delasama » 30 Jan 2013, 17:30

ring of fire can u please post what foods to avoid and good foods too? i just started miralax because i read that another persons doc told them to take it instead of colace lol.10 grams of fiber would be like twice the recomended amount that it says on metamucil container. im so confused now..thank you for keeping us updated though. i will be interested in hearing what your next doc tells u!
delasama
King Fissure

Postby ring of fire » 30 Jan 2013, 17:51

Hi Delasama, I need to research the miralax vs colace! She said she used colace throughout her pregnancies b/c she was terrified of developing any anal issues since she sees how horrible they can be. She said the miralax is still "sort of" a laxative and colace is only a stool softener. I'll try it and see how it goes.
Here are the foods to avoid: coffee, tea, alcohol, tomatoes (sometimes citrus), nuts. I didn't ask about peanut butter. Perhaps it's the hard pieces in whold nuts that may pass? She said to pay attention to other foods and take them out if I suspect an issue. I removed dairy (mostly) and red meat as well.
Good foods: avocados, other fruits and veggies, whole wheat bread, brown rice, olive oil, cod liver oil.
ring of fire
Salt Bather

Postby jr2 » 31 Jan 2013, 09:42

Different doctors say different things about the Miralax/Colace thing. The vast majority see no problem with Miralax, even taking it permanently. Honestly, to me it's more important to find what works. This affliction is just too painful and too difficult to heal, and neither Colace nor Miralax are stimulants that affect the nerves of the colon.
jr2

Topics: 15