How to prevent re-tear when you feel it coming?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

How to prevent re-tear when you feel it coming?

Postby worriedgal » 28 Jan 2013, 15:14

Hi everyone,
I've been a long long time reader of this helpful forum. I first developed my AF(s) about 1.5 years ago but didn't think much of it at first. I subsequently went to doctor after a bad re-tear which left me horrified (with blood, substantial "glass" feeling), and was prescribed nifed. But what really helped me was discovering Miralax through this forum. Since then, I have been relatively problem free but have had several minor re-tears here and there but nothing too painful. But overall, totally fine as long as i take half a dose of Miralax each night.
This past weekend, I had a very painful re-tear due to a hard/large stool even though I took Miralax. I was completely perplexed because my minor hiccups have usually been due to me forgetting to take the Miralax. The last 2 days and today have been painful during BMs, which have subsequently caused re-tears each time because my butt has been so tight! Even with increased dosages of Miralax and tons of water. This has me worried since my previous re-tears have been minor and I would feel OK after a day or 2. Needless to say, I have sought refuge in this forum once again and felt now's a good time to introduce myself.
Long story short, here is my question:
Is it possible to prevent a tear when you feel that initial sharp pain from the tip of a stool? I tried not to strain and tried to let it come out as slow as possible but it seems like there is no solution but to just let it pass and tear :( I've considered jumping into the tub/shower as soon as i feel the tip cutting through...but haven't tried that method yet since I figure the stool would only get harder if I let it rest inside.
Stay pain-free and healthy everyone! =(
worriedgal

Topics: 1

Re: How to prevent re-tear when you feel it coming?

Postby suzyljank » 28 Jan 2013, 15:57

Hi, sorry about your retear. You may need to increase your miralax, this won't work immediately it ususally takes a few days but it does help. Also try lubricating with a dollop of vaseline before you have a bm. This can help immensely. It's really difficult to regulate your bms though, food, stress, hormones can all cause your bms to change. Hope you find what works for you. Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby delasama » 28 Jan 2013, 16:10

two teaspoons of ghee mixed with warm milk every night right at bed time
delasama
King Fissure

Topics: 31

Postby itcouldbeworse » 06 Feb 2013, 20:06

worriedgal wrote:Hi everyone,
I've been a long long time reader of this helpful forum. I first developed my AF(s) about 1.5 years ago but didn't think much of it at first. I subsequently went to doctor after a bad re-tear which left me horrified (with blood, substantial "glass" feeling), and was prescribed nifed. But what really helped me was discovering Miralax through this forum. Since then, I have been relatively problem free but have had several minor re-tears here and there but nothing too painful. But overall, totally fine as long as i take half a dose of Miralax each night.
This past weekend, I had a very painful re-tear due to a hard/large stool even though I took Miralax. I was completely perplexed because my minor hiccups have usually been due to me forgetting to take the Miralax. The last 2 days and today have been painful during BMs, which have subsequently caused re-tears each time because my butt has been so tight! Even with increased dosages of Miralax and tons of water. This has me worried since my previous re-tears have been minor and I would feel OK after a day or 2. Needless to say, I have sought refuge in this forum once again and felt now's a good time to introduce myself.
Long story short, here is my question:
Is it possible to prevent a tear when you feel that initial sharp pain from the tip of a stool? I tried not to strain and tried to let it come out as slow as possible but it seems like there is no solution but to just let it pass and tear :( I've considered jumping into the tub/shower as soon as i feel the tip cutting through...but haven't tried that method yet since I figure the stool would only get harder if I let it rest inside.
Stay pain-free and healthy everyone! =(

I've wondered this myself. It doesn't seem like there is a solution, when I think about it. Hopefully this bump will put this thread in front of someone who knows.
itcouldbeworse
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby marg6043 » 06 Feb 2013, 20:51

The only thing I can think about to avoid a less painful retear is keeping those stools soft.
Plenty of lubrication before a BM with either petroleum jelly or Carlson suppositories and two spoonfuls of coconut oil before bed.
That helps me a lot.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8