am i taking too many stool softeners?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

am i taking too many stool softeners?

Postby poowizard » 31 Jan 2013, 21:41

Hey guys
New here. Great community you have. Lots of good advice. Hope you can offer some help. Had a fissure for the last 2 years or so. Since xmas I have been in agony. Been unable to get about but things are finally looking up (i can almost walk again!!!). I have a new problem however.
I no longer have pain when having a bowel movement. But instead get a terrible pain that stops me where I stand just before I go. Then I have about 5 minutes to get to a toilet before it forces its way out. I have no control of when this will happen. :(. Then another pain I havent experienced before, comes about 10 minutes after going to the toilet. And lasts several hours. Struggle to walk, Aching, Burning. Its terrible.
My stools are soft, the first part is always hard but at least I am able to actually go now. I eat only stir frys with mixed pulsed (beans). Could I be eating too many beans? Getting too much fibre... I have never had any problems with control before. My doctor says that the tear may just be in a bad location. Worried about incontinence. Can a fissure lead to this? Anybody experienced this before?
Or am I simply taking too many stool softeners and eating too many beans? I take 3 dulcoease a day, 2 sips of lactulose, and drink loads of water. Look forward to your replies guys. Take care!
poowizard

Topics: 1

Re: am i taking too many stool softeners?

Postby Port » 31 Jan 2013, 21:48

poowizard wrote:Hey guys
New here. Great community you have. Lots of good advice. Hope you can offer some help. Had a fissure for the last 2 years or so. Since xmas I have been in agony. Been unable to get about but things are finally looking up (i can almost walk again!!!). I have a new problem however.
I no longer have pain when having a bowel movement. But instead get a terrible pain that stops me where I stand just before I go. Then I have about 5 minutes to get to a toilet before it forces its way out. I have no control of when this will happen. :(. Then another pain I havent experienced before, comes about 10 minutes after going to the toilet. And lasts several hours. Struggle to walk, Aching, Burning. Its terrible.
My stools are soft, the first part is always hard but at least I am able to actually go now. I eat only stir frys with mixed pulsed (beans). Could I be eating too many beans? Getting too much fibre... I have never had any problems with control before. My doctor says that the tear may just be in a bad location. Worried about incontinence. Can a fissure lead to this? Anybody experienced this before?
Or am I simply taking too many stool softeners and eating too many beans? I take 3 dulcoease a day, 2 sips of lactulose, and drink loads of water. Look forward to your replies guys. Take care!
Hi Poowizard, don't know...maybe try Miralax. I've been using it for about a year and never get any cramps or anything, you just have to figure out how much to use. The recommended dose is too much for me, so had to experiment. Apparently Miralax is okay to use for extended periods...like forever, not sure about what your taking. Maybe it's caught up with you Image beans are a great source of fiber. What does your Doctor say to take?
Port
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby mutu » 01 Feb 2013, 05:21

hi poowizard
Sorry to hear about your condition hopefully you are getting better now.For the stool softener i took 30ml of duphalac which actually contained lactulose before bed every night and 2 tablet of senakot in the morning. That helps me to have a soft and regular bowel movements. In my country (Malaysia) we have the same stool softener as miralax but it is called forlax which contained the same polyethylene glycol. But right now i'm still using lactulose as it still works for me and my CRS told me that it is safe to be consume for long period of time.
mutu
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby HoserBum » 06 Feb 2013, 16:05

This is one of my concerns as well. I abused suppositories for about 3 years, which may have something to do with my fissure, and while one of the unexpected positive side effects of my AF is that supps are no longer a concern, I am concerned about getting dependent on stool softners. I take two 240mg Ducosate Calcium capsules a day and what little solid food I eat still comes out feeling like I'm passing granite.
I hear ya.
HoserBum
Fibre Addict

Topics: 10