questions about nitro

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

questions about nitro

Postby Fernie1 » 03 Feb 2013, 12:58

Hi everyone,
just need some advice. I was on nitro 0.13% for 8 weeks as indicated by Crs. Honestly nitro helped but didn't do much. I am now taking a two week rest from nitro because i heard our bodies get use to nitro and then it doesn't work at all. MY fissure is currently killing me all over again. Had some good days for a little while then one slightly bigger than usual bm and WAMO..tons of pain and spasms. Doctor prescribed enough nitro for 3 months. Should I get back on the nitro? Is this two week rest period enough? How long should one really be on nitro?
Any advice greatly appreciated Image
Fernie1
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Re: questions about nitro

Postby suzyljank » 03 Feb 2013, 13:07

Hi, I use the nitro. My doctor gives me the full strength they use for the heart and I mix it at the strength that works for me with aquaphor or vaseline. I think it works the best but your body can get used to it. I use it maybe once or twice a day and if I need to use it for more than a week I just take 3 days off and start again. Also it really makes a difference if you lubricate with something like vaseline before you have a bm. It helps it come out easier and it helps if you have burning. If you do have burning or itching I'd highly recommend the coconut oil. I've been suffering for almost 5 years now and I just tried it. It helps with the burning and since there is no chemical involved you can used it whenever you like. Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby coconut » 04 Feb 2013, 17:17

Nitro, in the form of Rective, gave me the worst headaches I've ever experienced. They tipped-off a migraine that lasted four days, complete with vomiting and diarrhea. And now I have a worthless tube of $500 ointment that I can't use. That just added insult to injury. (Thank god I only spent $40 after the coupon, or I'd be livid.)
coconut
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby Fernie1 » 05 Feb 2013, 22:54

Thanks for the tips Suzy. And Coco so sorry Nitro had such a bad effect on you. Weirdly enough nitro did not give me any headaches not even on the first day of using it. I think this is because I have a terribly low dose.
Fernie1
Salt Bather

Postby owmybum » 06 Feb 2013, 03:46

Sorry to hear you have had another set back Fernie, I didn't get along with the nitro, so can't advise you there... But that does seem a terribly low dose??
Maybe up your mirilax a touch to make things a bit easier for a few days.
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby sufferer » 24 Feb 2013, 10:17

How long do people in general use Nitro before it starts healing the fissure? I'm on wk 5 and though the pain has reduced it doesn't actually seem to be healing. Just curious to know when does Nitro normally work its magic!? Is it 6 wks?8 wks?
sufferer
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby suzyljank » 24 Feb 2013, 11:02

Nitro and the rest of the topical ointments work best for acute fissures and can take up to 8 weeks to heal. If you have a chronic fissure you may get relief from the pain but the healing rate of a fissure is much lower. That's because it's already forming scar tissue and the more scar tissue involved the less likely the area is able to stretch without retearing. I'm not saying you can't heal but if you have a long standing fissure the chances of a topical ointment healing your fissure are much lower, but it's a good first choice to try. I wish I would have sought treatment right away before mine became chronic but like others I thought it would just go away. Hope you heal soon. Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby Rachael 1984 » 24 Feb 2013, 12:25

Hi, I used the Nitro for 8 wks, and it didn't heal my chronic Fissure. CRS has told me to use it again until Botox, but I seem to be more itchy when I use it now. My doc says that after the 8 wk usage, they don't know the long term use side effects. I now have another fissure. I am in pain, and crying daily. Just feel like it won't ever end. How have you guys coped for so long???
Last edited by Rachael 1984 on 24 Feb 2013, 12:26, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Typo
Hem Banding sept 2012
2Fissures
Nitro- Effective short term
April 2013-Botox-Effective short term
Diltazem-No effect, developed Rash
July 2014-Diagnosed High Resting Pressure
LIS performed on 17.9.14
Ongoing pain/re-tears. Awaiting pressure test results.
Rachael 1984

Topics: 26
Mood: Please heal!

Postby coconut » 24 Feb 2013, 19:27

Rachael 1984 wrote:Hi, I used the Nitro for 8 wks, and it didn't heal my chronic Fissure. CRS has told me to use it again until Botox, but I seem to be more itchy when I use it now. My doc says that after the 8 wk usage, they don't know the long term use side effects. I now have another fissure. I am in pain, and crying daily. Just feel like it won't ever end. How have you guys coped for so long???

We cry a lot too. Have you discovered suppositories? I find they are soothing and help with the itching. I can't tell you a brand name for the UK. I live in the states, but I use Calmol4. Apparently, the body acclimatizes to nitro pretty quickly, but also has a very short 1/2 life. If you give your self a break and then only use it as directed, the effects might be stronger again.
coconut
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby Fernie1 » 25 Feb 2013, 00:23

Oh Rachel so sorry about getting another fissure. I cry almost every day too. I just miss my old life before my fissures. I feel like I just cant get over it. This forum has helped me cope. Have made some good friends that show true concern and given me comfort. Hope we can comfort you too. We understand your pain. I believe we will all some how beat this dragon..for some of us it just takes a little longer to get to the finish line but we will get there. Hang in there Rach. Wishing u the best healing.
Fernie1
Salt Bather