Colonoscopy on Monday and dreading preparation

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Colonoscopy on Monday and dreading preparation

Postby cul fendu » 16 Feb 2013, 13:11

I've suffered from anal fissures for 29 years and have been recommended to have a colonoscopy by my CRS who wants to 'get to the bottom' of my recurrent fissures. I'm O.K. with the idea of colonoscopy (it's being done under general anaesthetic) but would like any advice about the preparation. Basically, I've been told to follow a very low fibre diet for 3 days (today is day 2) then take high strength laxatives (Klean prep). I'm just recovering from a fissure so this morning I had severe spasm pains after a tiny, hard BM. What I'm really dreading tomorrow night when I will have major diarrhoea after the laxatives. What should I do to make it less painful?
cul fendu
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: Colonoscopy on Monday and dreading preparation

Postby LISrecipient » 16 Feb 2013, 14:11

I don't have any advice except to use moist baby wipes or clean off using the bath tub to minimize aggravating the area.
I did not enjoy the prep day before my scope but at least you may get some answers out of it!!!
LISrecipient
Fibre Addict

Postby marg6043 » 16 Feb 2013, 22:56

cul fendu, get a jar of vaseline and just make sure you lubricate the area before, during and after your cleasing routine before the colonoscopy this will ease the irritation that diarrhea will have on the fissure.
Right now that is all that I can tell you because your procedure is just a day away. If you can get lidocaine that will help with the spams pain after the bms temporarily.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby delasama » 16 Feb 2013, 23:48

Good luck! Let us know what the doc sees in there.
I bet your interested in finally knowing.
delasama
King Fissure

Topics: 31

Postby Dan_88 » 17 Feb 2013, 06:16

I had a colonoscopy last wednesday, and did the prep tuesday night. I was dreading it too, but the nurse told me to use heaps of vaseline before i started going. To be honest, it wasn't nearly as bad as I imagined. After every bout on the toilet I gently cleaned with baby wipes then applied more vaseline and it worked a charm! To be honest, completely cleaning my system out seemed to have a positive effect for me, and it's worth going through it all if it helps you find out what's causing your problems. Although in my case the doc said my colon is perfect and sent me on my way with no further explanation of what could cause my AF which was frustrating!!
Good luck!
Dan_88
Fibre Addict

Topics: 5

Postby cul fendu » 19 Feb 2013, 10:35

Well, I had the colonoscopy yesterday and it all went well. Thank you for the recommendation to use vaseline; it worked a treat. Anyway, the doctor found internal haemorrhoids and diverticuli as well as the anal fissure and skin tags which we knew about already. I was still a bit woozy after the anaesthetic when he came to see me but he's sending a letter to my MT so I guess I'll find out more when I see him. I don't know if the surgeon did anything else while he was doing the colonoscopy or if it was the 3 day low fibre diet followed by a clear out but I've been pain free since the procedure. It's the first time I've been able to sit comfortably since November!
cul fendu
Fibre Addict

Postby marg6043 » 19 Feb 2013, 14:56

Cul Fendu, I am glad you have your colonoscopy and now know exactly what to work with and find a good doctor that will work with you.
Yes, I also was pain free after the colonoscopy and the BMs were like a breeze, but that was the result of the stretching that is done to do the colonoscopy.
Sadly it lasted only two weeks, I thought all my problems were gone, after the two weeks that is when the fissure started bleeding and things just went down the hill for me after.
I hope, truly hope that you will be fine and that things will go away and this painless time means that is over.
I wish you the best.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8