Worst day ever -- not sure how much more i can take

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: Worst day ever -- not sure how much more i can take

Postby GGky1959 » 19 Feb 2013, 15:29

coconut wrote:Suppositories can take the place of actually ingesting oils. You stick them up your butt after you have a BM and the next time you poop, its covered in the ointment. Pretty nifty way to lesson pain. Just make sure you are using the correct suppositories. You don't want medicine for piles or steriods in them.

CoCo, I read here that some suppositories aren't good for you and I'm guessing that anusol is one of them, since its steroid based. I've been using them for quite some time, I'm guessing maybe that's why my fissure isn't healing....I don't get to see a doctor until next week, but its curious to know this.
GGky1959
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 25

Postby coconut » 19 Feb 2013, 15:57

Ah, yes! If you've been reading my posts, you already know that I wasted a good bit of time and energy using the wrong remedies, too. Steroids are not good for AF. They thin the skin and yes, they can make us worse.
The suppositories I've been using are called Calmol4. They are made of cocoabutter and zinc oxide. The zinc is a little bit of a astringent, which is counter-indicated, but only mildly so. Together with the cocoabutter, it soothes instead of irritates the fissure. Some people here also use a suppository that is made with vit E. Vit E is good for the fissure, but you would have to be careful with the other ingredients, because pure vit E would need another carrier to be made into a suppository. They all coat the rectum so that things pass through with less drama.
coconut
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby GGky1959 » 19 Feb 2013, 16:20

coconut wrote:Ah, yes! If you've been reading my posts, you already know that I wasted a good bit of time and energy using the wrong remedies, too. Steroids are not good for AF. They thin the skin and yes, they can make us worse.
The suppositories I've been using are called Calmol4. They are made of cocoabutter and zinc oxide. The zinc is a little bit of a astringent, which is counter-indicated, but only mildly so. Together with the cocoabutter, it soothes instead of irritates the fissure. Some people here also use a suppository that is made with vit E. Vit E is good for the fissure, but you would have to be careful with the other ingredients, because pure vit E would need another carrier to be made into a suppository. They all coat the rectum so that things pass through with less drama.

I can't say enough how good these posts are for info. No more anusol for me....maybe, just maybe with the empending Rectiv and my new doctors...maybe I may find relief and resolve with this thing....fingers crossed. Thanks Coco
GGky1959
Proctosphincteranalogist

Hoser...

Postby Bajan » 20 Feb 2013, 08:38

Read your posts, and like others who have replied...been there done that.
Nothing has ever consumed my life in such a negative way as my AF.
However...after all the creams, pills and injections, a good CRS and LIS surgury has me without any pain (most of the time...) and my life is back.
I still take a daily bout of metamucil, as my CRS advised...but thats it.
I simply got to the point of enough bullshit...bit the bullet...tossed all dignity to the wind and had the surgery. Best decision I have made.
I hope things improve for you soon.
Bajan
Bajan
Fibre Addict

Topics: 5

Postby Stratocaster » 20 Feb 2013, 08:55

Yeah your being your own worst enemy at this point. If you don't eat healthy and take the right softeners your not going to get anywhere. I totally get the fear but things have to get worse before they get better. A day or two of eating normally isn't going to lead to soft stools right away.
As Jr suggested get yourself some Miralax. It's a fantastic product. The generic works perfectly too and is cheaper. It's the same thing anyway.
Then get on a regular and consistent diet. I've had amazing results with eating a lot of oats on a daily basis (with a bit of docustate sodium to keep it completely soft). Apples, bananas, whole wheat rice. Chicken works well as a protein source.
Stratocaster
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 6

Postby coconut » 20 Feb 2013, 11:46

GGky1959 wrote:I can't say enough how good these posts are for info. No more anusol for me....maybe, just maybe with the empending Rectiv and my new doctors...maybe I may find relief and resolve with this thing....fingers crossed. Thanks Coco

Give yourself a full two weeks on the Rectiv. My medicine didn't seem to be doing anything until yesterday, and that was 13 days after I started it.
coconut
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby GGky1959 » 20 Feb 2013, 12:12

coconut wrote:
GGky1959 wrote:I can't say enough how good these posts are for info. No more anusol for me....maybe, just maybe with the empending Rectiv and my new doctors...maybe I may find relief and resolve with this thing....fingers crossed. Thanks Coco

Give yourself a full two weeks on the Rectiv. My medicine didn't seem to be doing anything until yesterday, and that was 13 days after I started it.

So the relief that I'm anticipating is gonna take awhile? Question: How do you apply this? I have major hemmorroids that starting get fresh again, I just examined myself and they're starting to turn pink on me again, when a week or so ago, they were dried up and dark. I haven't been straining or anything. So where do you place this stuff?
GGky1959
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby marg6043 » 20 Feb 2013, 12:31

GGky1959 the spams should ease faster than the healing will start.
I used to take a Q-tip and put the medication on the tip of it and gently dab on the anal opening, when the spams were more controlled then I will insert a littler bit more into the opening where the fissure was hurting.
I did this three times a day even when my doctor told me only two.
The numbing side of the cream should help with the hems too, the hems flare up could be a side effect of the irritated fissure, also fissures could be a side effects of the inflamed hems as they fold into each other causing creases.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby coconut » 20 Feb 2013, 12:36

In general, nitro cream is only supposed to be used twice a day. The reason for this is that the body compensates for its vasodilatation effect fairly quickly. If you don't give yourself 12 hours of break time in between treatments, you run the risk that the cream will stop working.
Other vasodilators don't seem to work the same way, and are sometimes prescribed 3 times a day.
coconut
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby coconut » 20 Feb 2013, 12:47

GGky1959 wrote:So the relief that I'm anticipating is gonna take awhile? Question: How do you apply this? I have major hemmorroids that starting get fresh again, I just examined myself and they're starting to turn pink on me again, when a week or so ago, they were dried up and dark. I haven't been straining or anything. So where do you place this stuff?

Put it on the outside of your sphincter at first. After a day or two, you will notice that your sphincter is a little looser and you can put it inside. This is better because the medicine will be closer to the muscle it needs to relax.
I wouldn't use a q-tip on myself. I use a finger, always covered by a glove or a finger cot so that the medicine doesn't sink into my finger. Fingers allow us much more sensitivity in the application. You run less risk of using too much force and hurting something. I also find the cotton to be ruff on my sensitive rectal area and I don't like wasting the cream that gets soaked into the cotton. Rubber or vinyl gloves are cheap and easy to find at the pharmacy.
The medicine shouldn't be used on the fissure, although its fine that some wind up there. You really want it on the muscle that holds the anal canal shut. (AKA, the sphincter.) It works by relaxing that sphincter and giving the fissure some relief so that it can heal on its own. The only thing I've seen that is put directly on the fissure on purpose to help it heal is wound honey. I use that but I'm not entirely sure if its working.
Don't expect any numbing from the rectiv. It doesn't contain lanicaine. It sounds like marge, above is using a different cream than what you have.
Rectiv is a vasodilator. That means that your hemms are going to get all pink again when you put it down there because they are being filled with fresh blood again. I imagine that the doctor you saw was more concerned that the fissure get healed. That all sounds very normal. If you stop straining when you poop, the hemms are likely to be relieved, too, so it makes sense to get the sphincter to open up and stop spasming before getting the hemms to shrink.
coconut
Proctosphincteranalogist