Worst day ever -- not sure how much more i can take

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Worst day ever -- not sure how much more i can take

Postby HoserBum » 18 Feb 2013, 18:41

I am in so much pain right now it is unreal. My life is miserable. It revolves around not eating and being terrified to have a bm. My wife is feeling helpless. We can't have sex or go out to eat or do any of the small things we enjoy because life now revolves around my ass. I'm on a liquid diet taking softeners yet I still somehow pass stool that feels like concrete and tears me open. I had to debate for three hours today whether or not to take pain killers because they constipate and the stool that I shouldn't really have in my body because I don't eat anything, will rip me open again.
I am really at the end of my rope. I know it's not cancer or ms or als and I try to keep it in perspective but I am so tired of this.
HoserBum
Fibre Addict

Topics: 10

Re: Worst day ever -- not sure how much more i can take

Postby delasama » 18 Feb 2013, 19:24

Have you had lis or at least had it looked at?
I feel your pain!
My life revolves around my ass too. My girl friend gets tired of hearing about my fissure and that just makes me more miserable...
I have soft poop, but it feels like it will never heal!
Just hang in there and at least we got each other to chat with on here :D
delasama
King Fissure

Topics: 31

Postby jr2 » 18 Feb 2013, 19:35

We all understand your pain and have times when we're all at the end of our rope with this problem.
. Unfortunately, a liquid diet isn't going to help you and will likely make things worse. Stool isn't only produced from the food we eat. It's constantly being generated from bacteria, old tissue cells, bile and other digestive contents, etc. With a liquid diet, you will likely have less frequent BMs, but the stool that is being generated will be in your colon longer and have more time to dry out.
In addition, if you aren't getting enough nutrition from what you're eating your body can't heal.
As painful as it is, it's better to get back to a more normal healthy diet and use a product like Miralax to soften your stools.
Have you seen a colorectal surgeon?
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby HoserBum » 18 Feb 2013, 20:10

jr2 wrote:the stool that is being generated will be in your colon longer and have more time to dry out.
In addition, if you aren't getting enough nutrition from what you're eating your body can't heal.

Ya I was wondering about that. I have soy milk, yogurt, smoothies, and once a week maybe some veggies or soup.
I think between the soy milk and yogurt (Greek btw, if it's all I'm eating I'm eating the best lol) I am getting lots of essential vitamins etc. Oddly enough, besides my af I have never felt better.
I havent gone to see a colo-rectal surgeon yet, just a general surgeon. The initial bleeding got my GP so freaked he sent me to a surgeon for colonoscopy, which the surgeon then said was unnecessary at this point. He put me on Nifedipine, which I can't really tell if it is working or not because every BM puts me back at square one again. Hence the liquid diet. I was hoping that if I stopped eating solids it would cut back on my BMs and give me time to heal. It does to a certain degree but then bam, one bad BM and here we are.
But yes I do notice that my stool tends to get harder when I don't have a bm for a few days. Even with softeners. I drink tons of water too. I'm just so scared of eating anything big, even veggies, on a daily basis.
Thanks
HoserBum
Fibre Addict

Topics: 10

Postby marg6043 » 18 Feb 2013, 20:37

HoserBum, a liquid diet is not the best way to go, like Jr2 said, now have you try to take two spoonfuls of mineral oil a day one in the morning and one at night until the stools soften enough?, mineral oil doesn't process and we eliminate it fast, this will lubricate the stools and make the BMs slippery and easier to pass.
Then when you are better and establish a routine that help keep the stools soft you can change it to coconut oil two spoonfuls before bed.
It doesn't hurt to try, remember trial and error until you find a way of doing things that will work for you.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby coconut » 18 Feb 2013, 21:50

marg6043 wrote:HoserBum, a liquid diet is not the best way to go, like Jr2 said, now have you try to take two spoonfuls of mineral oil a day one in the morning and one at night until the stools soften enough?, mineral oil doesn't process and we eliminate it fast, this will lubricate the stools and make the BMs slippery and easier to pass.
Then when you are better and establish a routine that help keep the stools soft you can change it to coconut oil two spoonfuls before bed.
It doesn't hurt to try, remember trial and error until you find a way of doing things that will work for you.

Be careful with the mineral oil. Your diet is insufficient at this point anyway. Mineral oil will prevent you from absorbing some nutrients. It coats the walls of the intestine, which prevent the nutrients from getting through. You really run the risk of damaging your body's ability to heal. I don't know how long you've been doing the liquid diet, but you likely need zinc and b vitamins in the short term.
Its interesting that you feel good on such a restrictive diet. It makes me wonder if you have some kind of food allergy. If I were you, I'd start a food diary and record what I eat and how I feel so that I could start to notice any patterns. I don't see any grains in your diet. You may be one of those people who doesn't digest wheat or grains well.
I had diarrhea for a while and it was disaster for my fissure. My CRS recommends that I try to bulk up my stool so that it forces the sphincter to expand. Healthy sphincters expand. He recommends softeners so that they don't hurt so much.
coconut
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby coconut » 18 Feb 2013, 21:53

Suppositories can take the place of actually ingesting oils. You stick them up your butt after you have a BM and the next time you poop, its covered in the ointment. Pretty nifty way to lesson pain. Just make sure you are using the correct suppositories. You don't want medicine for piles or steriods in them.
coconut
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby marg6043 » 18 Feb 2013, 22:00

Coconut, that is my problem and the reason i developed the fissure, chronic diarreah, but my doctor instructed me to do the mineral oil until some improvement on the irritation and to avoid irritation.
It worked for me, now I only take the coconut oil, I do have to control the diarrhea with questran.
But sometimes I still get episodes of it, as is part of my IBS, but now it doesn't bother me at all anymore so far.
The oil will help people that have problem with constipation until they can find a way to have the stools soften enough.
I would not recommend the mineral oil for long term but coconut oil is actually good for you.
After my gallbladder removal fats and oils are not digested by my system like before so I eliminate them very fast.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby sufferer » 19 Feb 2013, 05:05

Hoserbum - We feel for you and we are there for you. I know what a frustrating thing it is to keep talking to yourself and your dear ones about your a** all the time! Seems like a stupid thing but it takes over your entire life. Hang in there, if others were able to heal, we can too! Let's hope we get there soon.
sufferer
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby GGky1959 » 19 Feb 2013, 15:16

HoserBum wrote:I am in so much pain right now it is unreal. My life is miserable. It revolves around not eating and being terrified to have a bm. My wife is feeling helpless. We can't have sex or go out to eat or do any of the small things we enjoy because life now revolves around my ass. I'm on a liquid diet taking softeners yet I still somehow pass stool that feels like concrete and tears me open. I had to debate for three hours today whether or not to take pain killers because they constipate and the stool that I shouldn't really have in my body because I don't eat anything, will rip me open again.
I am really at the end of my rope. I know it's not cancer or ms or als and I try to keep it in perspective but I am so tired of this.

Dude, I soooo feel your anxiety and frustrations. I haven't been able to stop crying for 2 days.....2 days of having a bm and then crying for the next 5 hours until my Aleve kicks in and nobody and I mean nobody understands what your going through unless they've been there. What makes this all even more sad is that we actually get relief when we're constipated because that means no pain, no bm, so the day or two it gives us, we actually enjoy...sic, isn't it (smile).
My husband just got over his bout with cancer and I actually told him, I'd rather go through his cancer and all its treatments than deal with this....this in my opinion is the worst illness to have because the end seems never to come. Like you, I have days when I just want to throw in the towel, talk a few pills and just have at it......but we must we must fight this thing and not let it win....how? I just don't know....but I do know that someday, I hope we all look back on this and laugh at how much of our lives it took from us, that we beat it.....I just wish we had a day for it.
GGky1959
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 25