miralax caused irritation on penis?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

miralax caused irritation on penis?

Postby delasama » 22 Feb 2013, 21:57

i have been taking miralax max daily dose in morning and at night per my crs for a couple weeks now and i developed a bright pink rash on penis. urinating makes it worse. its mostly just the area just below the opening where the urine touches after i pee.
anyone think its from the miralax??? i cant call my doc until monday and i wont see crs until next month and if i dont take miralax then my fissure will rip another butt hole!
delasama
King Fissure

Topics: 31

Re: miralax caused irritation on penis?

Postby delasama » 22 Feb 2013, 22:34

Also it doesn't itch. It's just really sensitive.
delasama
King Fissure

Postby delasama » 23 Feb 2013, 14:27

i think part of the reason it is irritated is because i pee like 20 times a day because i have to drink a ton of water since im on metamucil and taking twice the max dose of miralax a day. i was taking full cap of miralax morning and night per my crs. maybe i will just take half of that. do you think i should take just a full cap at night or a half cap moring and night?
and is there anything i can do for irritation just below penis opening where the urine drips after i pee?
delasama
King Fissure

Postby jr2 » 23 Feb 2013, 14:47

If you are literally urinating 20 times a day or anywhere near that you're overloading on the water. Yes, Metamucil and Miralax require a good amount of water, but that's pretty extreme. In fact, at some point when you dilute your body that much with water you can actually do yourself more harm than good. It can cause all kinds of disturbances, electrolyte imbalances, etc.
For the irritation you could try a barrier type of cream like Calmoseptine or even Desitin to protect and soothe the skin. A short course of low dose of over-the-counter hydrocortisone cream might help to soothe the irritation (no more than a couple of weeks).
As far as how much Miralax to take, you should take the smallest amount you need to achieve soft, easy-to-pass stools that don't damage the fissure. The only way to know how much that is for you is to try different amounts out.
If the irritation continues you need to get that looked at to make sure it isn't an infection of some kind. It could be the Miralax or something in your diet, or just the frequency of urination and being exposed to all that moisture, but if it doesn't clear up with simple steps at home or gets worse you really ought to have it looked at.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby delasama » 23 Feb 2013, 17:37

thankyou for advice! im going to try just miralax at dinner and a teaspoon of metamucil at lunch and go from there. i guess i need to try to drink less water too.
delasama
King Fissure

Postby owmybum » 24 Feb 2013, 13:25

I second jr2... You may be overdoing the water. It can be just as dangerous to over hydrate as to dehydrate.
Maybe put a bit of Vaseline on the tip to form a bit of a barrier from the urine. Maybe get it checked out by the dr.. It could be a bit of thrush.
OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby marg6043 » 24 Feb 2013, 13:51

I imagine that the same problems we ladies have when keeping with the sitz bath and the humidity in the private areas, from all the creams and so, yeast is our main problem and so also to our male counterpart, a male will have some issues also, then top the already irritated male parts with too much urine acid it breeds all kind of problems.
I think delasama is just having some side effects from all the stuff he does to keep the fissure happy, just like we ladies.
We all been there. :D
Last edited by marg6043 on 24 Feb 2013, 14:26, edited 1 time in total.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby suzyljank » 24 Feb 2013, 14:12

I have to agree I don't think it's a side effect of miralax. You may have a yeast infection or a bladder infection and it's also a symptom of diabetes. An average adult should urinate about 6-7 times a day. A little more if you're drinking more and a little less if you don't drink enough. If you have pelvic floor disorder then it can also cause the urge to urinate more frequently. I went to a urogynecologist because of this and had to learn to retrain my bladder so I didn't go so much. The exercises seemed silly but they worked. Now I go just a few times during the day but I still wake up to go. Don't over do the water either, you can actually do great harm to yourself. Hope things work out for you, Suzy.
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby delasama » 24 Feb 2013, 21:59

Thanks for the info.its just nice to hear from someone when everything is going wrong.
I made it through the weekend.
Calling doc tomorrow morning about it.
Last time I saw doc he rammed his finger up my butt and now I'm going to show him this lol so embarrassing !
At least it's better than wondering if its healing or getting worse...
delasama
King Fissure

Postby delasama » 25 Feb 2013, 15:54

Doc said its yeast infection lol
I'm really glad it's not from the miralax!!
I would die with out miralax
delasama
King Fissure