Scary - clot of blood and mucus-y stuff in BM

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Scary - clot of blood and mucus-y stuff in BM

Postby coconut » 25 Feb 2013, 16:57

I just had a BM. I normally only get one, but this was a second and very small. Very soft. Half way through, I felt a pain, which I haven't felt in a few weeks. I looked at things afterwards and there was a clot of blood in the toilet, along with a good sized string of mucus, which had some older blood in it. Very scary to me. What is going on with my butt now? In the past, when I had blood it was just a drop or two and I've never had mucus down there. Do people get this?
A potential factor, this weekend, I developed a rash. Assuming that the rash is a reaction to diltiazem, I switched to the other calcium channel blocker (neph... something) I just applied the first dose 6 hours ago. I wonder if there is something that either the rash or the med switch would have caused something to bleed on the inside. I'm not in pain now like I used to be after a bloody BM. This is just so weird.
coconut
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Re: Scary - clot of blood and mucus-y stuff in BM

Postby Savaici » 25 Feb 2013, 20:11

I get the odd blood clot, and it can be very frightening. The other day I had a fairly large one one which freaked me out. I had a test for occult blood in the stools, however, and they came back as nothing. Usually have blood if I have had to strain, or had a BM in the afternoon...like today. The blood is always bright
If you are passing blood would definitely recommend seeing a doctor to check it out, if only for your own peace of mind.
Last edited by Savaici on 25 Feb 2013, 20:21, edited 1 time in total.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby nurseebol » 25 Feb 2013, 20:13

Mucous is usually a sign that your colon is upset for one reason or another. The blood, if it looks old, should be checked, just to be safe.
nurseebol
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby jr2 » 25 Feb 2013, 20:27

The mucus could just be normal rectal mucus that is secreted all the time that just became noticeable this time because of the blood clot. Given that it's a change that involves blood which appears to be old, it's worth getting it checked out. If there is no pain, it could have come from a hemorrhoid. Or yeah, it could be related to the rash. Diltiazem actually caused me blistering. When I switched to nifedipine I didn't have any of those problems.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby coconut » 25 Feb 2013, 20:49

I think I may have figured out the problem. Lets just say that its something the men on this board will never, ever have to worry about. (So embarrassing!)
I think that these creams can throw your period all wacky, right? I think this might be that wackiness. I'm supposed to have a full week, but this would be a pattern I've seen before if I'm right. I'll set up an appointment with the doc if Aunt Flow doesn't arrive in full force tomorrow.
coconut
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby coconut » 25 Feb 2013, 20:52

jr2 wrote:The mucus could just be normal rectal mucus that is secreted all the time that just became noticeable this time because of the blood clot. Given that it's a change that involves blood which appears to be old, it's worth getting it checked out. If there is no pain, it could have come from a hemorrhoid. Or yeah, it could be related to the rash. Diltiazem actually caused me blistering. When I switched to nifedipine I didn't have any of those problems.

How long did your blistering take to settle down? Mine is actually causing me a good bit of pain. I stopped the diltiazem yesterday. I've already started the nifedipine. I didn't want to loose any ground, but I'm a little concerned that it might be best for the skin to go without anything for a day or two.
coconut
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby jr2 » 25 Feb 2013, 21:18

The nifedipine does mess up my period. I have endometriosis and my periods with the nifed. are heavier, more painful and last longer. I've also gotten my period early on a few occasions with it. It also gives me severe breast pain all month and excruciatingly painful ovulation. I pretty much feel like I have PMS all the time.
With me, it took quite awhile for the diltiazem effect to heal. I stopped using anything for a pretty long while (it's been over a year so I don't remember exactly, but it was a long time). Then I had trouble with the nifedipine at first and thought I wasn't going to be able to use that either. But my pharmacist was convinced she could get it to work if she switched manufacturers of the nifedipine, and she was right. No localized problems with it at all.
I'm really sensitive to everything, and things take forever to calm down with me, so I wouldn't go by my experience. One time I had an allergy to a medication and got hives all over my body that didn't go away for six months.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby coconut » 26 Feb 2013, 09:38

Aunt Flow is in the house. I can't believe I let that freak me out. I wish I could just erase this thread, but maybe it will help someone else along the way. My flow is crazy heavy and early for me, but it sounds like that kind of thing happens with these medicines.
I've also had a set back. Image My sphincter is all tight again, although, knock on wood, the spasms aren't as bad as they were at their worst. I think the rash is causing additional pain, and maybe the cream switch is affecting me. I'm trying to keep this in perspective. My last two periods brought MAJOR setbacks, with a full week of PMS diarrhea. They both worsened the AF considerably. So if this is just a minor setback, that's progress, right?
I just want this to be over with. I'm thinking about calling the doc for the surgery. I know that if I get it, it still won't be over instantly. And that's what I want, to just go on my merry way. That's pretty much what most people around here want, I imagine.
Last edited by coconut on 26 Feb 2013, 09:39, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: spelling
coconut
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby owmybum » 26 Feb 2013, 12:31

Right before my period I get a really sore stingy fissure. It happens every month.
Don't worry... We all panic when we see blood, and immediately assume its from our rectum!!! I'm just glad it's just your period.
I'm sure this IS just a minor set back and you will be back on track in no time.
OMB xx
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby coconut » 26 Feb 2013, 12:47

owmybum wrote:Right before my period I get a really sore stingy fissure. It happens every month.
Don't worry... We all panic when we see blood, and immediately assume its from our rectum!!! I'm just glad it's just your period.
I'm sure this IS just a minor set back and you will be back on track in no time.
OMB xx

Interesting that you've experienced worsening during your period, too. Maybe this isn't a setback but just the nature of things in the great down under.
coconut
Proctosphincteranalogist