Had lateral Spintectomy 48 hrs ago pls help, why no pain?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Had lateral Spintectomy 48 hrs ago pls help, why no pain?

Postby hsdnalerio » 18 Mar 2013, 07:15

I had surgery for my fissure, lateral sphinctectomy 48 hrs ago.
I have absolutely 0% pain, have even been very soft bowel movement which was fine. I'm bleeding a little but not much.
I haven't had any leakage of poop or wind as can be reported!
I'm actually posting to say I'm worried as I have no pain, is this normal?
As some people have this op and are in pain for weeks!
I hope the surgeons taken enough muscle out?
I had a hemmerhoidoctomy a year ago and I was in pain for 4 weeks but with this surgery I'm fine. Obviously I'm taking my fibre supplements but it all feels very relaxed down there
I'm just worried now that perhaps not enough muscles been cut out, I'd rather be in pain and have my fissure heal than be relaxed.
Do you think I'm worrying for no reason?
I gone bowel movement it bled a tiny bit but was very soft so was easy to pass.
I had Botox to try fix this fissure 6 months ago but that failed that's why I had this op. I hope he's taken enough muscle out?
I appreciate replies as its weird feeling this normal.
Last edited by hsdnalerio on 18 Mar 2013, 07:16, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Lateral spelt incorrectly
hsdnalerio

Topics: 1

Re: Had lateral Spintectomy 48 hrs ago pls help, why no pain?

Postby suzyljank » 18 Mar 2013, 07:45

Hi, it's great that you don't have any pain. Some people breeze through the surgery and others have a harder time. Did you have a lot of pain before the surgery? That might help you gauge where you are at right now. I wish you continued healing and a fast return to a normal life. Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby Lauren12 » 18 Mar 2013, 07:50

I think you're worrying for no reason. If you read this forum, you'll find posts from lots of people who were surprised at the low level, or lack of pain immediately after LIS, compared to the level of pain they were in before the operation.
It's true that there are people (myself included) who take longer to become pain free after the LIS operation, but your experience is by no means unusual, read some of the postings here.
The muscle spasms have been inhibited or prevented by the surgery to the internal sphincter, so that will reduce a lot of the pain you may have had previously.
Like you, I'd had a haemorrhoidectomy previously, but a haemorrhoidectomy is usually far more painful than the LIS procedure when performed on its own (without other procedures concurrently). My CRS told me prior to the LIS surgery that he thought I'd be surprised, in that the pain post surgery wouldn't be as much as I was anticipating, and certainly not as much as I'd experienced with the haemorrhoidectomy. I did have pain after the LIS, but from reading here and elsewhere on line, plenty of people have hardly any pain.
If I was you I'd rejoice! If you're not in pain I'd say that was a plus, rather than a sign that something is wrong. By all means check with your CRS though if you're worried about anything.
However, just because you're not in pain, it doesn't mean you can immediately resume a normal level of activity. You still have the LIS incision (and presumably a fissure) which need to heal. Therefore no heavy lifting or over exertion for a while - you still need to heal.
Lauren12
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby hsdnalerio » 18 Mar 2013, 08:00

I'm able to also pass gass without pain and I haven't once passed gas by accident. I was hoping my muscles would be relaxed though enough for the fissure to heal!
But they all seem normal. Able to hold everything in etc.
hsdnalerio

Topics: 1

Postby Lauren12 » 18 Mar 2013, 08:22

Some people do pass gas (and even some fecal matter) by accident just after the surgery, but I'm not sure that everyone does. There's a lot of variation in the experiences of people recovering from LIS. Of course, ultimately, you don't want to be passing gas by accident, so further down the line it's common for people who've had LIS to be able to control gas and stools in the normal way.
If you're at all worried, why not contact your surgeon? When's your post-op check-up scheduled for? If you had a chronic fissure and that's why you had LIS, then it's going to take some time after the surgery to heal anyway, so it's probably at too early a stage to determine the success of the surgery in healing the fissure. Were you in pain before the surgery? If you were, and you're not now, then that indicates that your anal muscle tone is indeed greatly reduced, which is what's needed to heal the fissure.
Lauren12
Proctosphincteranalogist