LIS this Wednesday, April 10

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: LIS this Wednesday, April 10

Postby Luka » 09 Apr 2013, 00:55

I wish you well with your surgery, FLhopeful. It sounds like you're in great hands with your new CRS. : )
Please keep us posted on your progress. Best wishes for healing!
January 2013 - Diagnosed with fissure. Eventually turned chronic.
History of IBS and anxiety disorder, along with fear of using bathrooms other than my own caused it.
Tried Diltiazem, but eventually developed a rash.
LIS surgery scheduled August 26th.
Luka
VIP

Topics: 38

Postby FLhopeful » 09 Apr 2013, 11:08

Thank you all so much for the well wishes. It really means a lot.
Jr2 – I’m keeping pandas and birds and butterflies in mind!
Owmybum – LOL… yes… isn’t it odd that husband’s don’t know what they are doing in our dreams?
Rachael 1984 – I have had a few episodes of thinking about mean pandas WITH scalpels… but am trying to keep them as happy pandas :D
Savaici – The surgical center nurse who called me today said my surgeon was amazing… I’m smiling now.
Marg6043 – This forum really turned everything around for me. The past year has been so awful much of the time but through everyone’s encouragement I’m actually looking forward to this (a little) I want my life back! Thank you for listening and encouraging.
Luka – Thank you for the well wishes. :D
One of the things I’ve done is try to load up my Kindle with some light reading from the freebies at Amazon and my local library.
One of the ones I passed on?
William Faulkner’s “As I Lay Dying”
Pandas… butterflies… pandas... butterflies...
FLhopeful
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby owmybum » 09 Apr 2013, 15:29

Good luck, and keep us posted!
OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby jr2 » 10 Apr 2013, 16:33

Just wanted to pop in and wish you well. By now, you must be done with your surgery and beginning your recovery, which I hope is as easy and uneventful as it possibly can be.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby FLhopeful » 10 Apr 2013, 19:15

Thanks, owmybum and jr2
I am sitting (!)... well - more leaning on one side here at the comp at 9 PM after having undergone the procedure at about noon. I'm amazed that it's been this decent and am wondering if it'll be worse over the next few days.
I had a few hurdles.
They checked if I was indeed bothered by caines, which is what they use for all the numbing and for pain relief that lasts, sometimes days, after the surgery. I was. So no caines. :(
So without a caine for the IV I was more aware of that than normal... no caine before I was intubated (sp?) has left me with a sore throat... and no caine during surgery means I was moaning, crying, and thrashing even before I woke up.
They gave me Dilaudid before I woke up, and Percocet as soon as I could swallow it. They had raised the foot of the bed in recovery because I was sliding out from all the moving about I was doing. It really did hurt but I got relief when the meds kicked in.
Before the surgery when the surgeon spoke with me she said I should use Advil after the surgery, and as little Percocet as possible afterwards.
After the surgery I was told it had been a very deep fissure and was given a prescription for 40 of the pain meds. I've taken 1 since I got home, and am considering 2 at 10 so I can get some sleep.
I've had no trouble urinating besides the fact that I didn't have much to drink (yet) over the day. I thought perhaps I needed to face the dreaded first bm, but after removing my bandage found out it was simply gas. They have me in anti embolism stockings that I can stop wearing tomorrow.
Last night, before the surgery... I bothered my fissure during a not so great bm. I sat in the tub crying till about 4.
That really stank - I would have taken something (anything!) for the pain but couldn't take anything at all due to the surgery pre-op instructions.
At this point coughing makes it hurt but I thought that at this point I'd be in misery, and I'm not! (Knocking furiously on wood)
I'll let you know more tomorrow, hopefully after some sleep... and if I've written anything weird I blame the meds!
Thank you all so much :D
FLhopeful
Fibre Addict

Postby marg6043 » 10 Apr 2013, 19:28

FLhopeful, glad to hear that you are now recovering after your surgery.
Make sure you take your pain killers as you know by the experiences of other members some do better than others when it comes to managing pain.
Do not take any chances.
Because you fissure was deep remember that healing is a process and takes time, the first few days could be the worst but you know is all part of the healing process, hopefully you will heal faster.
Please keep posting on your recovery and share with us.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby FLhopeful » 12 Apr 2013, 09:16

Thanks, marg6043 :D
Yesterday I woke up feeling like I had been hit by a truck. Every muscle hurt. I had taken 2 Percocet every 4 hours overnight, at 10, 2, and 6. I took a single one at 10 AM (trying to take fewer due to fear of constipation) and a single one at 2 PM. I was going to try and stretch the time between, overnight, to 4 1/2 hours... but I woke up at 2 AM in pain and went ahead and took the next dose. I was then going to try to wait till 6:30 AM for the next dose but some bozo called at 5:58 AM... wrong number! Of all the days...
Then I didn't take anything else until I took 2 Advil at 8:30 PM. I was having almost no incision site pain (maybe just comparing it to the hell... total hell... of a fissure?) and the muscle aches were tolerable.
I coughed all day. I think the breathing tube was something my body really didn't like. The coughing is the worst part of my recovery so far.
About 10 last night I had the dreaded first bm. I was very afraid but tried to relax and not push (fear of tearing stitches is powerful fear) Amazingly - Everything came out just fine with nothing more than a teeny bit of pinching - probably from the stitches. I almost cried in relief. I can't believe I might be over the agony.
I've been soaking in the tub, but more out of "I should soak in the tub" than "OMG I need to get in the tub cause I'm in butt hell"
I'm using gauze pads as directed by my surgeon... they have been adequate at collecting all the post surgical drainage which is kind of pink and not a large amount. I change it every time I soak or pee.
I napped several times during the day yesterday, so didn't go to sleep till about midnight. At that point I took a single Percocet to alleviate the muscle aches so I could sleep easily. I slept through till almost 6, then slept again soon after till 9:30.
This morning... still quite achy all over (but improved over yesterday), still coughing quite a bit, and a very littly bit of pinchy type pain (I even hesitate to call it pain) at the incision site.
The muscle aches feel like I've taken one of those presidential fitness tests in gym... too many situps and pushups.
I haven't taken any meds since midnight last night. I may take a couple of Advil soon to help with the muscle aches... I'm thinking being pain free may help in recovery?
All in all I am AMAZED at how good I feel less than 48 hours after my surgery.
Am I one of the lucky ones? Have I come out on the best end of the "results" equation?
Time will tell... but so far I'm thrilled.
I'm staying on my way of eating. I have been on the Virgin Diet since January and am wondering if that is part of the quickness of my recovery. I don't eat anything junky beyond the rare square of dark chocolate.
I'm a couple of pounds up since Wed morning - but I googled that and they said it was common after surgery - so I'm not worrying.
Thank you so much for your concern. People here, and their posts, have helped me through this so much, and I am very grateful.
FLhopeful
Fibre Addict

Postby owmybum » 12 Apr 2013, 12:19

That's such great news!!
I'm so pleased things are going so well for you... And the dreaded first bm wasn't the thing of nightmares!
Onwards and upwards!!
Last edited by owmybum on 12 Apr 2013, 12:20, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Typo
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby PIA » 12 Apr 2013, 16:43

Very good to hear.
PIA
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 4

Postby marg6043 » 12 Apr 2013, 19:56

FLhopeful, thanks for taking the time to post while on recovery, now as for the aches and pain, it seems that you may have been tense before your surgery that could cause this problem, I have the same experience with my first surgery, but I thought it was because I have to stay in the hospital for 5 days and the bed was uncomfortable and I could not move for two days of the 5 :D .
Also because I have several surgeries I know the tube side effects, your will have inflammation for a while, take some lozengeses for the cough.
I remember also that for months I will have the feeling of water in my lungs, difficulty breathing when it was strong odors and you have to be careful because you are now at risk of upper respiratory infections due to irritation so stay away from people with colds.
Many doctors do not tell people of what happens after you have been intubated, but it does comes with side effects.
But that is rare, but don't be worry if you feel funny in your chest and lungs for a while.
Now is nice to know that your first BM has been nice and easy, so hopefully you just passed your first test.
Now the healing is on its way and remember it takes time, but everything will be over soon.
Take care and lets us know how things are going.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8