LIS this Wednesday, April 10

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: LIS this Wednesday, April 10

Postby littlebutterfly » 12 Apr 2013, 20:08

How are you doing today?
littlebutterfly
Salt Bather

Topics: 21

Postby FLhopeful » 13 Apr 2013, 22:49

Thanks, Owmybum, PIA, marg6043 and littlebutterfly,
This past day was better. I had fewer overall aches, and the coughing is slowly subsiding (but still annoying)
Marg6043 - my postop instructions say nothing about the breathing tube and its aftereffects. I wish I had been warned! Thanks for the information.
I don't think I was tense before the surgery, but I easily could have been CRAZY tense waking up. Since they couldn't give me any local anesthesia it was really horrid when I was waking up. They gave me Dilaudid before I was even aware of it. The nurse said it was rough, and told my daughter I was in serious pain. (I was) She kept having to tell me to take deep slow breaths because I was hyperventilating - and she was doing that even before I was lucid. Once I was awake I was given more Dilaudid and took some Percocet... yes - I was loopy but not in pain any longer. I'm guessing I could have easily been clenching my whole body before the meds kicked in.
I took a Colace on Thursday... I'm not taking any more! Yesterday I ended up going three times - thankfully it wasn't painful but it did leave me a bit sore and now I'm noticing the stitches... quite pinchy.
Because of the pinching I took 2 Percocet when I went to bed last night, 1 at 11 AM, and 1 at 4:30 PM. I was going to try and not use them but the pinching isn't fun at all and with the Percocet I can sleep, lay on the couch, etc. I don't want to be all stressed out from the owies. I'm going to take 1 to go to sleep, and only if it isn't effective will I take another.
I'm still taking Miralax daily, and some Mg in a powder I mix with water.
I ate pecans and chicken wings for breakfast :D
I got up late so didn't eat lunch - just some more pecans for a snack
Then dinner was some shrimp, some steak (I didn't eat much of it) and a lot of cauliflower and asparagus.
I've gone 5 times since the surgery. I was expecting lots of associated pain so have been pleasantly surprised with very little. Soreness and pinching - but I can't blame that on the bms as much as on the surgery itself. I soak afterwards. I'm using gauze pads for drainage but there isn't much. Oh... I only bled for the first bm! Now, no bleeding during, and not much drainage otherwise. I'm amazed.
I'm starting to make a list of questions for the surgeon. I want to know when she thinks it'll not be a problem to eat my homemade chili (I miss it so badly! but OMG the chili powder) and when I can go swimming.
FLhopeful
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby owmybum » 14 Apr 2013, 06:44

I'm so glad things are progressing along nicely for you FL... You must feel so relieved!!
OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby marg6043 » 15 Apr 2013, 12:37

FLhopeful, is nice to know that you are doing well and improving, I hope everyday it will be better than the last, soon things will be back to normal for you.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby FLhopeful » 16 Apr 2013, 20:51

Thanks again, owmybum and marg6043,
Sunday and Monday were pretty bad. I had lots of gastric pain and took Percocets regularly. I thought I wasn't healing well and things were going south.
Not so... yesterday afternoon (Monday) I started having diarrhea, which continued for quite a few hours.
So... it wasn't that I wasn't recuperating - it was that I had gotten sick.
Thankfully that episode doesn't seem to have hurt anything and I felt much better this morning and didn't take any more pain meds today.
Last evening, however - I got a terrible phone call - the kind we all dread.
My mom had a heart attack. She is doing wonderfully - they put 3 stents in (she's 87) and they're already talking about her going home in a day or two! Still... I'm now worried about my mom. I couldn't run up to the hospital when I heard, first of all because I don't know that I can sit in a car an hour each way yet... and at the time I got the call I think I had a gastrointestinal virus or something similar.
Thankfully I've been able to talk to her on the phone and know she is doing well and receiving good care.
My surgeon said another week of doing not much... I think I'm going to be very antsy soon...
FLhopeful
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby jr2 » 16 Apr 2013, 21:46

FLhopeful
I am so so sorry to hear about your mom, but really encouraged for you that she is doing so well. I'm also so sorry you had a virus during your surgical recovery. You poor thing. To have so much stress in such a short time and to not be able to be with your mom. I'm glad to hear you feel like you haven't taken any steps backward in your recovery. That's a lot of physical and emotional stress to have to cope with.
Keeping you and your mom in my good thoughts tonight, and hoping for all good news from here on out.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby owmybum » 17 Apr 2013, 02:17

Fl.... So sorry to hear about your mum!! But it's encouraging she is doing so well.
So glad the upset stomach didn't hamper your recovery too.
Keep us posted on mum and bum won't you!!
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby Rachael 1984 » 17 Apr 2013, 02:33

Flhopeful, sorry to hear about your mum, what a lot to deal with at once. Hope you can continue to recover and keep us posted on how you and mum are doing. x Image
Hem Banding sept 2012
2Fissures
Nitro- Effective short term
April 2013-Botox-Effective short term
Diltazem-No effect, developed Rash
July 2014-Diagnosed High Resting Pressure
LIS performed on 17.9.14
Ongoing pain/re-tears. Awaiting pressure test results.
Rachael 1984

Topics: 26
Mood: Please heal!

Postby Just 'Pain' Tired » 17 Apr 2013, 11:12

Glad to hear the surgery is 'behind' you! Good luck getting sleep, rest and managing your pain. Here's hoping really good days are coming your way! Image
Just 'Pain' Tired
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 10

Postby marg6043 » 18 Apr 2013, 19:52

FLhopeful sorry to hear about your dear mom, I hope she is doing better.
Take it easy, I know is hard to relax while you worry about your mom, as long as you are in contact with her and know that she is ok you can relax a bit.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8