Stimulant Laxatives Pain Worse?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Stimulant Laxatives Pain Worse?

Postby littlebutterfly » 14 May 2013, 03:25

I have been trying exlax to move my bowels. There still aside from right after surgery is no movement in my intestines. However I notice when I take them (and I take a lot actually in hopes they work) that the throbbing burning pressure inside my anus gets much worse. Has anyone here experienced worsened pain with laxatives even in the absence of diarrhea?
littlebutterfly
Salt Bather

Topics: 21

Re: Stimulant Laxatives Pain Worse?

Postby Guest » 14 May 2013, 07:13

Why don't you try Miralax? 1/2 cap after lunch and another 1/2 after dinner for at least three days. There are two possibilities for that burning pressure
1) Your bowels are moving fine but you are not letting it out in fear of pain. You must be contracting your muscles with fear and this tends to hold the bowels. It is a vicious cycle because the more you hold the harder it will get. Hence Miralax can help to soften and let it out easily. But it takes three days to work. Have Extra Virgin Olive Oil cold pressed organic (2 tbspn) with every meal to lubricate your stools.
2) You are not packing your intestine with food to let the old food out. That's fiber or soft food. (About 20-30 g for females weighing about 120 pounds) Your diet should not be raw vegetables but cooked soft food like carrots, kidney beans, sweet potatoes, baby corn, green peas, green beans and most importantly, BROCCOLI (cook all this in tomato soup). Your breakfast can be 2-4 brown rice pancakes (Whole Food Market in gluten-free aisle). Fruits in between meals can be 8-10 strawberries, 2 huge slices of honey dew melon, 20-25 black grapes, and 2 navel oranges. Have more of these fruits if you can. Stay away from cereals or fruit juices that are fortified with Calcium and Iron. Calcium contracts muscles. Check your magnesium level by doing a Magnesium Blood Test. It will cost you around $30-40. Take magnesium supplement because magnesium relaxes muscles and softens stool. (You may do sitz bath by adding a handful of epsom salt for 10 minutes only. Remember to wash it out because salt dries skin). Use A&D ointment (it has vitamin A and D to repair and relax your muscle). You need to probably squat and while squatting press a little (not much.. I repeat a little) under your tailbone while you go. This helps the spasm to go away. Take deep short breath and start counting 1-10. Do not sit for long. Drink warm water and you will have another BM or as I call it "pressure" to go again within 15 minutes.
But please stop taking stimulant laxatives as they are bad for the tummy. They make the intestines work faster and harder. But remember our food needs our saliva for the required chemical reaction. So chew your food a lot. It will help in every way and I bet you will not need any stimulants to help with BMs. Once you go, your stools and urine will tell you everything whether you are eating enough fiber or drinking enough water. Urine should be pale yellow and stools should be toothpasty (soft and unbroken). Just study and follow your diet accordingly.