Doesn't soaking your bum so much make skin more raw?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Doesn't soaking your bum so much make skin more raw?

Postby Kreaybutt » 14 May 2013, 17:12

My mom is telling me I soak my butt too much and keeping the fissure wet all the time won't let it heal. Any truth to this? I mean you are suppose to let cuts dry and heal but I don't know about the skin down there. Thanks!
Kreaybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 30

Re: Doesn't soaking your bum so much make skin more raw?

Postby Guest » 14 May 2013, 18:01

I see your pretty concerned about this Kreaybutt.
But we will try to help you with any of your questions. Not sure as that is a tough topic.
The purpose of sitz is for healing and course to ease the pain, burning and spasms. If your spasms seem to return once out of the bath, than maybe it is time to try something else along with your sitz.
Creams Like Nitro-glycerin and Diltiazem are used in lieu of the sitz to help do the same i.e. relax those spasm so you may want to try that also.
That topic was discussed before and I will refer to the threads so you can better decide.....click here
http://anal-fissure.org/t5167-better-to-keep-it-dry-or-moist-with-a-cream?highlight=moist
Last edited by Guest on 16 May 2013, 08:47, edited 3 times in total.

Postby Kreaybutt » 14 May 2013, 19:41

Thank you so much!
Kreaybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Just 'Pain' Tired » 14 May 2013, 22:51

OMG, I couldn't have survived this long without my sitz bath. It is my best friend!!!!! It helps so much with the after pain and I think it is healthy and healing to the fissure. Of course, my fissure is up inside, so I don't even know if the water gets in there, but I do believe it helps a lot! I often just soak for 5 to 10-minutes then dry off (use a hair-drier or just lie on your tummy and air-dry if you have the time). Then I apply the ointment I'm using. The anal canal is mucus membrane and isn't normally dry. Just my 2-cents and I do respect others have different info and experience! (Don't get between me and my sitz bath, though). Good luck! :D
Just 'Pain' Tired
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 10

Postby Ever the Optimist » 14 May 2013, 23:50

I have to agree with Pain - I have 2-3 soakings a day and believe that as long as you use plain old water, it doesn't hurt. You shouldn't be using soaps/ fragranced bubble baths etc. but water is just fine - Epsom Salts now & again are good. Just ensure when you get out, you dry off properly before applying any creams etc.
I never used the hairdryer myself but always patted dry with a towel. I also prefer my bottom to feel slightly moisturised and use Coconut Oil to do this - it always tended to feel more irritated when bone dry. I'm sure plain water isn't going to harm you in any way and I certainly wouldn't stop the baths but it's what you feel works for you personally at the end of the day :)
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby Guest » 15 May 2013, 08:37

You guys are spot on with the sitz bath.
Yes I too soaked 2-3 times a day after every bm, and yes I wouldn't have survived without it.
Do not give it up Kreaybutt. I was just trying to say try something else, including the sitz to try and relieve spasm. As Just 'Pain' Tired alluded to, all it takes for many of us is 5-10 minutes.
Sitz, showers, baths are indeed vital in fighting AFs, but I pictured the poster as maybe not knowing the other methods to control those pesky spasms.
Yeah, the way I worded it sounded like I was saying give it up. I was in a bit of a hurry yesterday.
HTH GL

Postby buttquestion » 15 May 2013, 17:15

Hiya. Here is my 2cents.
There are Sitz Bath bowl you buy and there is soaking in the tub. I used to sit on the bowl twice a day but I feel my "skin tag" won't go away. That position spreads my ass cheek a bit too far so I stopped.
For past a week and half, I am only soaking in the tub with my legs spread so water flows in that area better.
I've noticed a few things during my routine:
1. Warm/Hot water brings blood to that area. I believe this is the main reason why sitz bath is recommended for both anal fissure and hemorrhoid. Blood heals your fissure...that's what nitro cream does..bring blood to that area.
2. Warm/Hot water also relax the muscle in that area.
3. Once you muscle is relaxed, it is the perfect timing to put cream into your anal canal and/or do anal dilation.
4. I could be wrong about this but I think heat opens up your skin pore which should allow the cream/treatment you use to go into the skin better?
Either way, warm bath is a big part of my routine now. Even if it is not really healing my fissure (I believe my fissure is healed but skin tag can get irritated), it is an important step before anal dilation. You need to dilate your ass so you don't suffer from spasm and you have much easier BM!!!
buttquestion
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby Kreaybutt » 15 May 2013, 17:31

Taking baths has DEFINITLY helped me and i don't plan on giving them up, just wanted to hear opinions on it. Sorry if this is a dumb question but what is anal dilation and how do you do it?
Kreaybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Guest » 16 May 2013, 08:36

Yeah, I spoke too soon;
Sitz baths are indeed used for healing too. sorry for the confusion on my part. I should have done my homework.
OU

Postby suzyljank » 16 May 2013, 09:56

Hi, sitz baths help with healing. Just don't sit longer than 20 minutes at a time and make sure your are thoroughly dry after. I use a hair dryer on low, no rubbing. And wear underwear made of cotton, they absorb any moisture the best and are breathable. Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic