scar tissue

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

scar tissue

Postby saintkilledher » 19 May 2013, 06:58

my doctor told me that scar tissue narrows the rectum and can stop the fissure from healing so they would need to scrape the old scar tissue out then see if it heals...makes sense scaring would tighten the rectum so everytime you have a bm the narrowed rectum would tear.
saintkilledher
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 16

Re: scar tissue

Postby suzyljank » 19 May 2013, 07:25

Hi, yes scar tissue narrows the rectum, this is called stenosis. I just had a double advancement flap because my rectum had narrowed so much I had difficulty passing a pea and I'm very serious, I would tear and start to heal and tear again over and over. He scraped the scar tissue and old fissure site clean, then he cut two donor sites and folded the fresh tissue into the rectum and sutured it in place. He left the donor sites open (ouch, ouch, ouch) but they are healing. This is to add healthy tissue into the rectum so it can stretch properly when you have a bowel movement. I'm three weeks out and I've had some set backs, I think some of that has to do with the double flap, most people just have a single flap. But I'm hanging in there. I can really feel the stitches now, they kind of pinch. The first two weeks are nasty but pain meds help manage that. I spent 3 days in the hospital and by the time I came home I was taking ibuprofen during the day and norco and valium at bedtime. It takes time to recover, it's slow and frustrating but having a fissure that never heals and living in pain and fear of having a bm isn't much fun either.
My scarring was so bad that my fissure only ever bled once. Because of the scarring blood flow is restricted to that area and that's why the fissures won't heal or stay healed. If you decide to have this procedure and have any questions I'd be more than happy to answer them. Take care Suzy.
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby saintkilledher » 19 May 2013, 07:45

hey suzy thanks for that.im pretty sure i have scaring and need similar sugery.not feeling very positive that my ass will heal and ill be able to have proper bms and have anal sex again..are you having wider stools now?
saintkilledher
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby suzyljank » 19 May 2013, 07:57

Yes my stools are bigger even with all the swelling and stitches. Keeping a good consistency is sometimes difficult but I have had formed larger bms. My bms before surgery were no wider than a drinking straw now I'd say they are larger than my big toe.
To give you a little encouragement after this surgery I have to dilate every day for a while to keep the muscle stretching and then just once a month. I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to have sex again after you are properly healed. You might have to be a little careful at first. Discuss this with your doctor. If you are unable to have sex now then you really have more to gain than lose if you have corrective surgery. But that's a personal choice between you and your doctor. All the best Suzy.
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby saintkilledher » 19 May 2013, 08:11

great that your bms are formed and larger.gives me some hope.my bms are about 2 fingers wide wich is alot thinner than they used to be.hope you continue to heal suzy xx
saintkilledher
Proctosphincteranalogist