I have a date for surgery!!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

I have a date for surgery!!

Postby owmybum » 20 May 2013, 03:28

I will be having my surgery on 14th June.
My crs will decide what to do when he puts me under and has a good look at what's been going on and how much scar tissue is there.
I will be having either...
Botox with fissurectomy
Or
Advancement flap.
I don't need LIS as my anal resting pressure is not elevated, so that has never been an option for me.
I'm feeling very nervous at the thought of more surgery down there (I had hems banded and skin tag removal two years ago, which in turn led to me developing the fissure)... I thought the last surgery would be the answer to my prayers.. And instead it was the worst nightmare ever!! I also know that after two years of just not being able to get this thing to fully heal on my own, surgery is really now my only option to get my life back.
So.. After all the creams, tests, pelvic floor physio, more creams, and yet more tests..I have a date!!! Image
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Re: I have a date for surgery!!

Postby Davo » 20 May 2013, 04:23

Great News OMB,
There is finally light at the end of the tunnel for you now!
I am presuming you managed to sort this on the NHS without any problems then?
Davo
Davo

Postby suzyljank » 20 May 2013, 04:38

Hi, owmybum. I want to say I'm so glad you decided to do this. I've been in your same position just a few weeks ago and being scared is an understatement. My surgery was an exam under anesthesia with possible double advancement flap. I kept praying I would only need a single but my CRS said after he had a good look at what was going on he couldn't in good faith do half a repair. You're going to be surprised that it's not as bad as you think. You're already in pain so you're a lot tougher than you think. Talk to you doctor ahead of time about pain management. If you have any problems with nausea from pain pills ask for zofran. It's what allowed me to take the opiate medicine without being nauseous. Try to have everything you need at home before your surgery like gauze pads, miralax, ibuprofen, Tylenol. I was so glad I did that because we didn't have to run around for anything after I came home. Be patient with your recovery, just take it one day at a time. And if you have any question please ask me. You can post here or send me a pm. I'll be one of your biggest cheerleaders. Oh sweetie try to stay positive and keep telling yourself that someday really soon you're going to be on the road to recovery and getting your life back. Sending all my prayers and a great big hug, Suzy.
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby Rachael 1984 » 20 May 2013, 04:49

Great news, OMB. I am rooting for you. You will get your life back.Not too long to wait now... Image
I know you will feel anxious prior to the op, but keep thinking positive things, we are all here for you. Keep us posted, you can PM me anytime! Image
Hem Banding sept 2012
2Fissures
Nitro- Effective short term
April 2013-Botox-Effective short term
Diltazem-No effect, developed Rash
July 2014-Diagnosed High Resting Pressure
LIS performed on 17.9.14
Ongoing pain/re-tears. Awaiting pressure test results.
Rachael 1984

Topics: 26
Mood: Please heal!

Postby jr2 » 20 May 2013, 15:04

Yay!
Such a long road for you, and finally, things are getting moving!
Like everyone said, it's totally to be expected to be nervous about an upcoming surgery, but the important thing to remember is it is healing pain... pain that is leading you out of the tunnel, not deeper into it.
(and we'll all be here cheering you on every step)
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby Ever the Optimist » 20 May 2013, 15:33

OMB x
I'll be here with you too, every step of the way!........
It's about time you got your break and really happy to read you got your date finally through. Is this in London with Mr Windsor? If so, I'm sure you will be in great hands.......
You wouldn't be normal if you weren't nervous! but hey, you're so accustomed to all this stuff and the pain and stress that goes with it, I think it can only make things better for you now and take the worst of that all away.....
At least you know what you have to do to keep yourself comfortable and how to get through it and even better, look at all your friends and support you have here!
Keep Calm and beat the fissure!!!!
& Keep us all updated Image
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby owmybum » 21 May 2013, 01:34

Oops..... Sorry Davo... I was meant to press quote on your post to answer your question... But pressed thanks instead... I am on my phone and my screen is tiny..
Yes.... It's on the NHS with the lovely Mr Windsor... So I know I am in safe hands.. There's no issues there!
Thank you all for your kind words of support... I'm so glad I googled anal fissure and found this place and you lot, I really am.
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Mood: UGH !

Postby Davo » 21 May 2013, 04:06

Ahh so that's why some people's responses turn that pinky colour!!!
I found the same thing with Mr Windsor - he is a lovely guy. I have seen so many consultants in the past who just treated me as 'another patient' or a number on their clipboards. Mr Windsor seemed to genuinely give a damn about me and his final words to me before surgery were "let's put an end to all this now" (meaning my fissure days)
I am looking forward to your healing & recovery updates!
Davo
Davo

Postby Ever the Optimist » 21 May 2013, 14:50

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby marg6043 » 22 May 2013, 18:23

owmybum, finally you are to render yourself to the knife, (I mean surgery), Image I guess you are now mentally and physically ready, I am still working on it Image .
I am still a bit apprehensive about having surgery, Is been 11 months, now and while life is back to normal for me, I still get some irritation and burning once in a while, with some mild dot of pink Image .
I hope your surgery goes well and you have a fast recovery, we still can talk about how you are feeling about the coming big day.
June 14, I have app on June 10, I am nervous about that app and is not even surgery.
But you have already experience when it comes to that area of the body with previous procedures.
You know we are here to support you if you get cold feet, we will warm them for you. :D
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8