Previous pain in the ass

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Previous pain in the ass

Postby daveh » 21 May 2013, 07:25

After a bit of net research and with the conformation of a couple of members on here I have now accepted the fact that I have an AF. But when the pain 1st began after a forced BM due to constipation I never gave any thought to the fact that it may continue for weeks/months/or worse, mainly because it was a pain that I have felt on several occasions previously throughout my life. But on all of those other occasions the pain only lasted a day or two, or maybe even a few hours before going away. Has anybody else been here prior to their problems and also does anybody know what it will have been on those occasions that caused the temporary pain if it wasn't a tear, the actual pain I'm talking about is pretty similar other than the length of time that it continued for.
daveh
Fibre Addict

Topics: 5

Re: Previous pain in the ass

Postby Ever the Optimist » 22 May 2013, 15:12

Daveh,
In response to your question, yes, I know where you're coming from.....
There's two occasions that spring to mind for me.
One, about three years ago, when I went to my GP because I had had some pain for about 3 days (one day was particularly bad because I remember not being able to sit comfortably at work) but I was advised at the time that it was probably just a hem, so I treated it accordingly and it just cleared up. I'm racking my brains to remember where exactly this pain was located and whether it was in the same area that my 1 year & 5 month fissure developed!!
Another time prior to that, I had some pain (but nothing so major) for a few hours after a BM but I think it was a different area. Again, not 100% sure there.....
When my chronic fissure reared its head, I went to the GP again after a week or so because this time the pain just wasn't going, but lingering and getting worse by the day. I assumed it was a hem again (as I had on the other occasions) This was the first time an Anal Fissure was ever mentioned to me.
I'm not going to be particularly helpful because I can't confirm to this day whether the other events were due to hems or even minor fissures but the pain that lasted the three days was certainly almost as uncomfortable as the pain I endured with the fissure that was diagnosed last.
If only, someone had mentioned the possibility of a fissure a few years ago! I think I would have changed my old eating and toilet habits immediately for fear of going through all the very stuff that I have experienced since!!!.....................
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby jr2 » 22 May 2013, 16:08

It could have been a fissure that caused the previous pain. Actually, fissures are pretty common and can often heal up pretty quickly on their own. So, why do some fissures become more stubborn and difficult to heal? Hard to say for sure, but it could be a combination of things from the depth and severity of the tear (small cuts heal faster and easier than deeper ones), stress levels, dietary issues, and a whole range of other things. The deeper and bigger the tear, the more likely it is to send the sphincter muscle into a spasm that begins the problem of reduced blood flow to the area and a wound that is now under chronic tension from a spasming muscle.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby daveh » 22 May 2013, 17:37

Thanks for the answers guys :)
daveh
Fibre Addict

Topics: 5