Soft but large stool??

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Soft but large stool??

Postby smiles » 06 Jul 2013, 11:24

I have very soft stool, but for some reason they are large and keep making me bleed. I don't know how to fix this. I'm taking magnesium and it is keeping my stool so soft. Some days I can barely feel my BMs, but other days I can feel the sharp pain and then I bleed. I don't get it :(
smiles
Salt Bather

Topics: 11

Re: Soft but large stool??

Postby richibeno » 06 Jul 2013, 12:09

Hi may be cut back on the fibre '
Are you taking any stool softners apart from magnesium '
Also you could lube up before a bm 'i use coconut oil or vasaline
richibeno
VIP

Topics: 28

Postby WelshDoubleFissure » 06 Jul 2013, 12:47

Reduce the fibre smiles and take Movicol/Miralax. Don't take any fibre supplements like Fibrogel as these tend to ibulk up the stools and although they are easy to pass, they'll end up tearing your fissure.
I have one wheatabix in the morning with fruit and then try to eat "soluble" fibre - which absorbs more water and "insoluble" fibre just packs together.
There's a decent list of soluble and insoluble fibre here. When eating these foods, make sure you increase your water intake. The stool softeners will help increase the water in your stools, which will already be full of water.
Hopefully these will get you to Bristol Scale 5-6 stools. That's what you need to aim for.
You may want to go to your doctor and get some cream which should help either relax your sphincter muscles (Diltiazam) or bring blood flow to the area to help heal (GTN).
Hope that helps.
Welsh x
WelshDoubleFissure
VIP

Topics: 4

Postby Guest » 06 Jul 2013, 12:57

Alas Image 
Re-tears are killing us!!!
Hang in there smiles. Perhaps if you gave us the low down on your recent meals prior to your huge bm we can pinpoint the culprit. I've heard that large bm may also indicate that transit times from mouth to anus is taking longer for some reason.
I'm sure by now you've heard not to over do it with the insoluble fiber as that is what makes large stools among other things.
Other things I hear that can cause large stools is celiacs disease, mal-absorption, gluten via mal-absorption, etc.
Some have found success getting away from large stools by going gluten free.
Do you drink plenty of water and do you drink a lot of sodas?
Psyllium powder or flax seeds should help speed things up in there if other measures like cutting back on insoluble fibers is not the problem.
HTH GL

Postby smiles » 07 Jul 2013, 09:50

Thanks for everybody's advice! I am a bit confused about insoluble and soluble fibres. What is the difference?
Also, Buttastic, I've actually been gluten free for almost a year now but sometimes I eat gluten with a digestive enzyme. This past Monday I had gluten :o Could that be what caused it?
I also started taking a zinc supplement (35 mg) which might also be affecting it.
I have a pretty healthy diet, I'm a vegan on a gluten free diet. However, I do not really eat a lot, and I don't like eating (weird, I know) so maybe this is causing problems as well? Not eating enough to push it through my intestines quickly..
smiles
Salt Bather

Postby WelshDoubleFissure » 07 Jul 2013, 10:14

Hi smiles, I read this somewhere and it made better sense to me....
Soluble fibre-
If you stirred some soluble fiber into hot water, it would dissolve. In your stomach, the soluble fiber you’ve eaten dissolves in the water from your food and/or digestive juices and makes a viscous liquid or gel. This gel can trap certain food components and make them less available for absorption.
Insoluble fibre-
If you stir some insoluble fiber into hot water, it won’t dissolve. As soon as you stop stirring, it’ll just sink to the bottom. It will however, soak up a bunch of the water and puff up, the way a dry sponge expands as it soaks up water.
Now imagine this puffed up sponge moving through your intestines, and you’ll begin to get an idea what insoluble fiber does for you. Insoluble fiber is a very effective treatment and preventive for constipation and other digestive disorders like diverticulosis and irritable bowel syndrome.
Does that make a bit more sense. Who'd have thought fibre could be so complicated eh?
Welsh x
WelshDoubleFissure
VIP

Postby smiles » 07 Jul 2013, 10:18

Thank you, I like that explanation! :) Which foods provide soluble fibre? And which ones provide insoluble fibre?
smiles
Salt Bather

Postby WelshDoubleFissure » 07 Jul 2013, 10:27

Sources of soluble fiber: oatmeal, oat cereal, lentils, apples, oranges, pears, oat bran, strawberries, nuts, flaxseeds, beans, dried peas, blueberries, psyllium, cucumbers, celery, and carrots.
Sources of insoluble fiber: whole wheat, whole grains, wheat bran, corn bran, seeds, nuts, barley, couscous, brown rice, zucchini, celery, broccoli, cabbage, onions, tomatoes, carrots, cucumbers, green beans, dark leafy vegetables, raisins, grapes, fruit, and root vegetable skins.
But as always, some of these sit in either category sometimes, so it's difficult to judge.
I think someone should write up a 4 week menu for Anal Fissure sufferers because I'm running out of things to eat. I'm finding only brown rice, chicken and Broccoli is my only reliable meal.
Welsh x
WelshDoubleFissure
VIP

Postby richibeno » 07 Jul 2013, 11:01

richibeno
VIP

Topics: 28

Postby Please go-away! » 07 Jul 2013, 17:17

hi smiles..this was given, printed out for me by my trusted Pharmacist, she has been a blesing and friend when I can't always contact my Doctors for advise..
1. Soluble Fibre works by absorbing toxins,(like a sponge) soaking up toxins as it passes by, These foods are called softer, smoother foods, as placement goes, eat your soluble food before a insoluble for ease of passage..Example Oatmeal for breakfast or eat your sweet potato before your kale/spinach (steamed or sauteed best) then follow with a protein if desired. now..
2. Insoluble Fibre has a cleansing effect(like a scrub brush)removing toxins and old hardened material from the intestinal wall by scraping them off as it passes by..that's why ground flax(buy whole and grind it as you need it) is excellent because its insoluble and soluble..(add it to your oatmeal) whole wheat toast, even Gluten free toast is a insoluble.
I hope this helps you Smiles..Something to make you smile about..lol.:) Every one on this site, you will find are so helpful, of course we are all going through it too.Image
That is why my pharmacist highly recommends start my meal with a soluble food, because its a softer food there for the insoluble food that follows down my intestine will sweep out the softer food/ soluble and prevent the plugs we get ..it makes perfect sense.(instead of the other way around)
Fissure fighter
Please go-away!
King Fissure

Topics: 15