what vitamins to take??

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

what vitamins to take??

Postby puzzledbutt » 28 Jul 2013, 12:17

i was just wondering what vitamins everyone takes? now i know all of us in the bum club r very heathly but sometimes i think my body is telling me different, like in the past few weeks ive had alot! of hair loss and i cant seem to put weight on ive went from 10st to 7st10pds but as i say i feel great cant remember ever feeling so good. i have weetibix and huge fruit salad for breky, veggie soup for lunch and fish and veg for dinner, i also have a few jaffa cakes :-) i already take vit c, flaxseed vit and fish oil vits. does anyone have any ideas??
puzzledbutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 5

Re: what vitamins to take??

Postby Please go-away! » 28 Jul 2013, 12:31

Hi Puzzledbutt, I take a probiatic, strong one because I also have Ibs.
I do a fish oil tablet too along with a high magnesium (twice, at night).
My flax is ground, about a teaspoon in my Oatmeal, every morning.
As for a multi-type vitamin, I think it constipated me last time , so I'm staying away from them.
Trying to vary my diet of soluble and insoluble with as much natural vitamin's in the food.
At first I lost weight, mind you I was in the hospital (induced coma, another past issue but better now) and because I was afraid to eat for a painful BM as a lot of us are.
But with healthy fat's, coconut oil and pure virgin olive oil, even my hair is looking better.:) I hope I can help, others will chime in too. so stay tuned..Image
Fissure fighter
Please go-away!
King Fissure

Topics: 15

Postby Savaici » 28 Jul 2013, 12:40

Puzzled butt:
I had a lot of problems when I first got this, and was quite ill, losing weight, hair loss, body sore and joints not working properly. Because I had problems with taking pills, I researched and found Smarty Pants vitamins for Adults, and they literally saved my life. They have everything you need in them, including Omega-3 and Vitamin D. I cannot recommend them enough:
http://www.smartypantsvitamins.com
P.S. You mentioned jaffa cakes, so you might be in the UK, and not sure if you can get them there, but might be something similar...
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby puzzledbutt » 29 Jul 2013, 13:06

thank you so much for your replys savaici and please go away. i found them very helpful xxxxxxxxxxxx
puzzledbutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Ever the Optimist » 29 Jul 2013, 13:17

Hi Puzzled,
I also take Vit C, and very importantly Zinc - because it not only wards off colds & infections and boosts immunity, but also helps in wound repair. I take Magnesium (250 mg) a night to keep my stools soft & do not take a probiotic pill as such, but ensure I eat probiotic yogurt every day.
I always cook with Olive Oil, I'm a big fan of the healthy "fats & oils" and Flax (or Linseed) is a superfood because of its high quantity of Omega 3 & fibre. I always grind my own seeds and sprinkle the ground flaxmeal into soups/ sauces/ stews/ over breakast cereal and add to smoothies too! It's great stuff. :) 
Sav - Jaffa cakes are very moreish (!) cake type biscuits covered in dark chocolate and filled with an orange filling. They are scrummy and I love them but I resist buying them because it is too easy to get through a whole packet in one go!!!!:)
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby puzzledbutt » 29 Jul 2013, 13:57

thank you so much eto im going to look into more vitamins and start having probiotic yogurt, i havent had a yogurt in months looking forward to having some over fruit salad. yes eto jaffas are lovely hard not to eat the packet once opened!! xxxxxxx
puzzledbutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Diamond » 30 Jul 2013, 14:42

I haven't been watching my diet very closely over the past few months - but when I was more careful I took a lot of vit C, garlic and zinc. I hear zinc is very important for healing. Although I'm not taking any supplements these days I do have a fruit smoothie in the mornings - typically banana, frozen mango, almond milk and a teaspoon of chia seeds.
For anyone with hair issues, I hear that silica is great for hair (and nails!). I suffered from hair loss before and I used this shampoo bar called "new" from Lush - it works wonders.
Diamond
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3

Postby puzzledbutt » 30 Jul 2013, 15:13

thank u so much for ur helpful reply diamond. zinc sounds good if it helps healing, i will also look into the shampoo bar. continued healing to u diamond many thanks!! xxxx
puzzledbutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby WelshDoubleFissure » 30 Jul 2013, 15:38

Hey PButt, I drink a probiotic yoghurt drink every morning with a movicol after. I then have wheatabix with flaxseed (2 tbl spoon) with raspberries and blueberries and an activia yoghurt. I also take a vitamin E tablet which helps promote cell and tissue healing.
You can get flaxseed from sainsburys. And the vitamin E capsules from Boots.
Welsh x
WelshDoubleFissure
VIP

Topics: 4

Postby Diamond » 30 Jul 2013, 15:53

PuzzledButt - here is a link to the shampoo bar: http://www.lush.ca/NEW!/02009,en_CA,pd.html
My nurses always said I should up my protein intake - I find adding lots of fish to your diet is good.
Diamond
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3