i'm too skinny

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

i'm too skinny

Postby owowow » 16 Aug 2013, 13:22

been fighting latest fissure for a nearly a year now.  i'm healed to the point at which i would previously have relaxed my diet. but we all know what happens when you relax your diet to soon.....!
so this time i'm determined to try and heal "properly" before i start eating larger portions or a more varied diet.  problem is i'm losing rather too much weight.  i was pretty skinny before.  now i'm too skinny.  none of suits or fitted clothes fit anymore.  and people are starting to tell me i need to put some weight on.  which is easier said than done when one is eating  oatbran, small portions of fruit and vegetables, a little white meat and not much else.
its an additional stress i don't need!  any suggestions for how to put weight on in a fissure friendly manner?  anybody tried this ensure stuff?  is it it fissure safe?
owowow
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Re: i'm too skinny

Postby Kreaybutt » 16 Aug 2013, 14:05

Hi there, I have the same problem! I can give you a few tips that should work for you (would work for me too but I'm nursing still and it's even harder to keep weight while doing so. Peanut butter has a lot of good fats (organic peanut butter) try adding protein such as eggs and fish. I've heard yogurt helps too. Instead of having big meals have more, smaller meals. I tried ensure for a couple days but it upset my tummy. I think it's the casein in it. Whole meal breads too! Nuts have good fats just make sure you chew them up really well. I eat cashews and dark chocolate covered almonds everyday. Yummy
Kreaybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 30

Postby owowow » 16 Aug 2013, 14:30

Kreaybutt wrote:Hi there, I have the same problem! I can give you a few tips that should work for you (would work for me too but I'm nursing still and it's even harder to keep weight while doing so. Peanut butter has a lot of good fats (organic peanut butter) try adding protein such as eggs and fish. I've heard yogurt helps too. Instead of having big meals have more, smaller meals. I tried ensure for a couple days but it upset my tummy. I think it's the casein in it. Whole meal breads too! Nuts have good fats just make sure you chew them up really well. I eat cashews and dark chocolate covered almonds everyday. Yummy

thanks for the tips. more meals sounds like a good plan.
dark chocolate covered almonds sound terrifyingly dangerous! do you really find them ok?
owowow
Salt Bather

Postby Kreaybutt » 16 Aug 2013, 15:51

Yes!! Dark chocolate has magnesium which is good for relaxing muscles and lots of antioxidants. Less sugar than milk chocolate too. And almonds are high in fiber. I have about 5-8 a day. Don't go over board on them.
Kreaybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Just 'Pain' Tired » 17 Aug 2013, 00:10

You can definitely eat more and still promote healing for your AF.  Your body can use a bunch of different building blocks for repairing your tissue!  Healthy oils are great.  Olive oil, avacado, nut (or nut butter), I had cheese in small amounts (like shredded parmie or cheddar on eggs).  I really think if you fold in fiber, such as fruit and cooked veggies you can eat more than you think.  I wonder what others have found....
Just 'Pain' Tired
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 10

Postby fissurevshems » 17 Aug 2013, 11:14

You should calculate your BMI. (body mass index). If it is getting below 20 then you may be too skinny. If not then you are totally fine. I have seen lots of people say they are too thin and they are actually overweight! Also keep in mind that some overweight people are jealous and may tell you to gain weight so you are like them.
fissurevshems
Fibre Addict

Topics: 5

Postby owowow » 17 Aug 2013, 13:30

fissurevshems wrote:You should calculate your BMI. (body mass index). If it is getting below 20 then you may be too skinny. If not then you are totally fine. I have seen lots of people say they are too thin and they are actually overweight! Also keep in mind that some overweight people are jealous and may tell you to gain weight so you are like them.

that's a good idea - thank you :) i've just done the sums and my BMI is 18.5 which seems to be the very lowest number in the accepted normal range. i think a few more pounds wouldn't hurt!
owowow
Salt Bather

Postby marg6043 » 17 Aug 2013, 21:51

owowow. I want to add that if you have regular and nice formed stools you could also add protein drinks or meal replacement drinks to help with the increase of daily calories.
Just a suggestion to the already very nice tips others have given you.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby Kreaybutt » 18 Aug 2013, 08:04

I just did my bmi and it's 15.4 ahhhh I'm way too skinny!!
Kreaybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby aimonaali » 19 Aug 2013, 08:31

The BMI doesn't tell much... You can be very tall ans skinny and have a low BMI and still be perfectly healty. Also you can have a high BMI if you are really muscular. I don't think the experts use much BMI anymore.
aimonaali
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 15