VY flap info

Found a good website that has some really handy information?  Post your links here...

Return to References, Websites, Facts...

VY flap info

Postby dent1 » 01 Sep 2013, 08:07

This is the surgery I was offered rather than LIS
V-Y advancement flap as first-line treatment for all chronic anal fissures.
Chambers W, Sajal R, Dixon A.
Source
Department of Colorectal Surgery, Frenchay Hospital, Bristol, UK.
Abstract
INTRODUCTION:
It was suggested that anal advancement flap be used to treat patients with chronic anal fissures that have failed medical management and have a low-pressure sphincter complex. We wished to assess anal advancement flap as a treatment for all chronic anal fissures.
METHODS:
All patients with chronic anal fissures regardless of their previous management underwent V-Y advancement flap. Patient demographics, symptom duration, previous treatments, short-term postoperative outcome and long-term follow-up were recorded.
RESULTS:
Fifty-four consecutive patients, median age 39 years (22-66), underwent a V-Y advancement flap over a 7-year period; 34 were men. Duration of symptoms ranged from 2 to 36 months with a median of 8 months. Forty-two patients (78%) had failed a previous therapy: glyceryl trinitrate (GTN) (25), GTN and diltiazem (16) and lateral sphincterotomy (one). Wound dehiscence occurred in three patients of which only one required a surgical intervention. On follow-up at 6 months, all but one patient had a healed wound and was asymptomatic.
CONCLUSIONS:
We have shown excellent rates of healing of chronic anal fissures treated with a V-Y advancement flap regardless of sphincter pressures, previous treatment and symptom chronicity. These results show the technique can be applied to all chronic fissures with success and used as a primary therapy.
dent1
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Re: VY flap info

Postby aimonaali » 18 Sep 2013, 10:21

There was a good link on this topic on the "old" site... I thought it was great. Hope it finds it's way to here too. The same problem seems to be all around this new site, some of the posts have vanished.

Edit: I took the liberty to find that link and here it is: http://www.bristolsurgery.com/SectionCo ... tionid=195

There is one sentence in the section about LIS that sounds really troubling: "Sometimes, patients do not develop problems of soiling, post sphincterotomy, for many years."
So what does this mean? Kinda sounds like they all do develop the problems but the lucky ones have "many years" before it!?
aimonaali
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 15

Postby dent1 » 20 Sep 2013, 11:11

I found this website to be very informative - such a difficult subject to discuss with GP etc.
The list of UK colorectal surgeons is useful too
http://www.bristolsurgery.com/Page.aspx?id=114
dent1
Salt Bather

Postby owmybum » 20 Sep 2013, 14:54

Thanks for the link. It was interesting to see none of my local CRS were mentioned.

OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby dent1 » 21 Sep 2013, 08:38

These are specific colorectal surgeons who are trained to do laparascopic ( keyhole) surgery - removing adhesions/ removing bowel cancer / doing prolapse repairs by keyhole surgery which takes extra training . Obviously not required for anal surgery procedures just happens that my surgeon is involved in a wide range of colorectal surgery.
dent1
Salt Bather

Postby owmybum » 21 Sep 2013, 15:39

Aah.... I was worrying why none of the CRSs I have seen were on there!!! Lol
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !