Diet Help!

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Diet Help!

Postby youngworried » 05 Sep 2013, 17:51

Hi! Exactly a week ago, I was prescribed "Diltiazem 2% and Lidocaine 1.5%"
I started off using it with 100% satisfactory! It did good to take away the pain. The itch was not a big deal since it went away after about an hour.
Everything was going well until late Monday. I guess my diet was not working because I was very constipated. It took me from Monday until about 20 minutes ago to have a smooth BM (Well..I wouldn't call it smooth because it hurt a lot. I meant smooth as in...I actually could go.) and I think I might have re-teared my fissure! Since Monday, I've been trying and not succeeding and have put a lot of strain on my fissure. I fear the re-tear is here Image 
Can anyone help with my diet? It doesn't really matter what I did before because obviously it didn't work. I would just like recommendations for fiber intake, the right foods, and other things like that!
Also, healthy bathroom tips would be nice too. I'm tired of straining.
The ointment seems to be doing it's job but some significant pain is back and is causing me anxiety Image 
Please help me!
youngworried
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Re: Diet Help!

Postby Kreaybutt » 05 Sep 2013, 19:38

Oatmeal
Lots of veggies and fruit
Only whole wheat breads but not too much throughout the day
At least 3 liters of water a day
Try to eat more soluble fiber than insoluble
Mangoes, pears, nectarines, peaches, blackberries. ALL good. Stay away from white rice, white bread, pastries or things that are high in sugar.
Coconut oil directly on your af.
Oh and raw veggies are a no-go, always eat them cooked.
Hope this helped!
Kreaybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 30

Postby Scientist2516 » 05 Sep 2013, 20:22

Second what Kreaybutt says, but also:
Try psyllium fibre. In the US it's Metamucil, and in the UK it's Fybogel. I use the capsule form because it's got no artificial flavour or sweetener.
Try a mineral oil laxative (I don't think you can get them in the UK though). I like kondremul, but it's not available in many stores. I got mine through amazon. I expect any mineral oil laxative off the shelf would work. The nice thing about it is, it does help you "go", and also lubricates your BM.
Just while you are working out your diet and how to manage it naturally, these supplements can help you through a difficult time. The mineral oil especially. If you go a whole day without a BM, the oil can help a lot.
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby Ever the Optimist » 06 Sep 2013, 07:07

Hey Young,
Lots of great tips above for you......
I would also add ( because they help me) :
Lots of olive oil for lubrication (a big tablespoon before bed is good)
Magnesium supplement - for softening
Zinc supplement - for wound repair & immunity
Soft figs & prunes, raisins & apricots
Apple puree
Pears, melon, avocados, soft beetroot - not too may bananas though as they can be binding, especially when underripe.
Don't overdo the insoluble fibre (in wholemeal breads/ bran/ brown pastas)
Beans
Loads of water!
Try to lubricate your bottom with lots of Vaseline before you go to help pass your stools more easily & give squatting a go! Because you are adopting a better position naturally for passing stools, in my experience, your stools do tend to fall out more easily than the conventional sitting approach.
Finally, if you are tense when passing a BM, your whole body will be react accordingly. If you can take some deep breaths on the toilet and put yourself into a nice, relaxed, meditative type state, it will honestly make the process so much easier and allow all your muscles to relax more and pass stools more easily.
Good luck with the Diltiazem! For me it was a life saver and definitely helped my healing process. Fingers crossed for you too! :) 
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again