How often do you use Diltiazem / and how do you do it?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: How often do you use Diltiazem / and how do you do it?

Postby CreativeMuse » 18 Sep 2013, 21:40

I use Diltiazem also. The instructions with it (minimal as they were) said to apply .7 to 1 gram per application, 2 times per day. I ended up purchasing some small liquid syringes, fill accordingly, and gently insert the tip just enough to get the cream inside. I use it in the morning after BM, and before going to bed. Some mornings before the BM, I'll apply a pea size amount to my anus, and it seems to help the muscles relax and the BM starts shortly after, and it's less painful.

Valium 2mg - I was given that also. I take that occasionally, but sometimes I've noticed that after taking it, if I haven't taken something beforehand for the pain, the act of my muscles relaxing seem to trigger some pain. Not sure if that is because everything is so tense or what. So now I just make sure that I've taken some Ibuprofen or Tylenol at least a half hour before the Valium.

Good luck with your healing! :)
CreativeMuse
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Postby rw76 » 19 Sep 2013, 00:14

Thanks everybody for the great suggestions!
rw76
Salt Bather

Topics: 14

Postby Just 'Pain' Tired » 22 Sep 2013, 01:18

:sunny: I read through your post pretty quickly, so sorry if this is redundant. My mainstream providers didn't tell me how to apply the creams (my naturopath did, but first I learned it on-line). For these ointments (ditilazem, nifedipine and steroids) it is important to get them 'up inside' a little bit. Put a pea-sized amount on your finger (I used a gloved finger but you don't have to, just make sure your finger is clean and fingernail cut short). Lie on your left side, knees bent/fetal like, or upper leg/knee can be upright (like during your exams!). Take a breath and relax. Gently insert finger with ointment just up in a little ways (up to first knuckle or middle of finger) and rub around a little. Some people prefer to use an applicator, but I found that since I needed to do this multiple times per day it was much quicker to go the finger route. I never thought I could get used to this notion but it's not that bad....especially compared to AF pain!!!!!!Good luck! :sunny:
Just 'Pain' Tired
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 10

Postby Ever the Optimist » 22 Sep 2013, 03:33

Rw,
Let me just reassure you that as soon as you start feeling better again, that weight doesn't take too long to pop back on again!! It worked out well for me though...I lost a ton with the fissure but too much - I began to look too thin and ill...I've now put a lot back on again but I'm still nowhere the size I originally was pre-fissure, so I'm pretty happy these days!!! Yes, the "newer" the fissure, the more painful it is but with the treatment and over time, that intensity reduces and if you're dealing with it at a relatively early stage, you hopefully have a better chance of recovering much more quickly too..Hang in there.
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby rw76 » 22 Sep 2013, 09:03

Thanks so much Ever the Optimist - I think that the intensity is going down thankfully. I am still in pain for a few hours after a BM but it is less intense and it lasts less. I did catch it very early and insisted on the right treatment (that I learned from here) so I am hoping that it means a quicker healing time. And yay on the weight - at least there is something positive out of this. For me I think I will def. gain back some but I know it has kickstarted me into eating extremely clean again and I plan on working out as soon as I am not in so much pain. For right now - I walk and do some pushups.

Just Pain Tired - thanks you - gulp. I will try that. Kind of seems impossible to do right now but hopefully in a couple days it will be easier and easier - or maybe I can do it on the times (later in the day) when I am not in pain at all and more relaxed.
rw76
Salt Bather

Topics: 14

Postby pinpin » 22 Sep 2013, 13:39

Hi ETO,

I completely relate to you regarding weight, I lost about 10kg, and was not looking good and am quite tall.
But I slowly regained some weight already. The worst days, I was afraid to eat, and even was feeling lack of energy.

:thawack:
07.02.2013 - got open hemorrhoidectomy, leaded to slow healing wound. Link to story
11.12.2013 - LIS surgery
pinpin
Administrator

Topics: 42
Mood: Good

Postby Ever the Optimist » 22 Sep 2013, 14:30

Oh Igrik!
We are all such one big family here! It's so great we can all relate the way do. I hope things are so much easier for you too these days........ :Rock:
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby Just 'Pain' Tired » 22 Sep 2013, 23:58

I've used both nifedipine and diltiazem. Nifedipin (compounded with lidocaine) was prescribed to use before and after each bm and 3 times a day. Diltiazem twice a day. It really isn't that hard to apply it and it's important to deliver it to the AF and sphincter muscle. The easiest time to apply it (for me) was before getting out of bed in the morning. It seemed the anatomy was most relaxed then. This allowed a good application before the morning trip to the loo (which has been by far the most difficult). Good luck!!! :%_+:
Just 'Pain' Tired
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 10