NEW here :) - HOW I got relief after 9 months of pain

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

NEW here :) - HOW I got relief after 9 months of pain

Postby Mommaof1 » 29 Sep 2013, 08:21

Hello! I am new to this forum. Quick background, I had a baby 11 months ago, ever since then I have had issues with SEVERE pain with BM's - lasting for HOURS afterwards. Basically I self diagnosed myself with a fissure ( I could see it) and had it confirmed by a surgeon ( 9 months later after begging my Dr to refer me). I am currently scheduled for surgery in 3 weeks. In those 9 months of suffering, I tried all the hemmorhoid creams, numbing creams, laxatives (sennakot, exlax, metamucil), stool softeners (colace), H20+++, and nothing provided relief. I spent every day in pain. I did a lot of googling and read up on polyethylene glycol (CLEARLAX, MIRALAX). It comes as a powder, if you are not familiar with it. It WORKED! It caused me to have perfect soft stools, and within 2 days, passing a BM was not agony. I have been taking it for almost 3 weeks now, which I know is not ideal but I can't stop knowing that life has been so much more enjoyable being pain free. So a few things...

1. If you haven't tried it, you may want to look into it. It CHANGED MY LIFE. :)
2. I have LIS surgery booked in 3 weeks but now that I am on this laxativem I think things are healing. Should I continue with the surgery anyways in the hopes that the fissure won't return?

Thanks all.
Mommaof1
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Re: NEW here :) - HOW I got relief after 9 months of pain

Postby Deleted User 2543 » 29 Sep 2013, 10:54

Hi mommaof1,
Yes lots of us here take it, know as movicol to many. Miralax is just another brand name for it. It's a godsend to many of us. I've been taking it for nearly 3yrs now you can take it long term with no side effects.
Sorry to hear you are suffering and hope you choose the right decision. I've had Botox twice in last 1.5yrs & went onto have lis, fissurectomy & tag removal 4 mths ago now. Best decision I ever made. Maybe give your crs a call ask for an appointment to see if fissure is healing first before you cancel surgery. It would be great if you could heal without surgery. Best of luck to you :)
Deleted User 2543

Postby Ever the Optimist » 29 Sep 2013, 15:19

Hi Momma,
Sorry I just posted on your other thread, having missed this one and I was relieved to see it was Miralax rather than one of the harsher laxatives!!
I would give it a little longer and definitely chat to see your CRS to see if you can get some confirmation as to whether you have made improvements with your healing. You can always try to reschedule for a few months later and that way you can keep your options open if things take a turn for the worse again. There's a fair few of us that have healed without surgery, so you may well be one of those too..........
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby Mommaof1 » 29 Sep 2013, 17:34

Thank you! I was worried about staying on the Miralax long term but OMG does it make perfect poo's LOL. And its expensive :(
Mommaof1
Salt Bather

Topics: 9