Coping with pain/stress? valium VS codeine

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Coping with pain/stress? valium VS codeine

Postby Turk the cat » 13 Nov 2013, 17:37

I'm feeling kind of down/antsy with my second fissure which has been around for about two months. Had a definite setback yesterday doing too many household chores along with a handyman. I was fried, in bed by 7:30 mega pain for about four hours, with a bit of sleeping in-between. To my credit I only took one extra strength Tylenol and not the Tylenol 1 pills (Tylenol/codeine/caffeine) pills we Canucks can get over-the-counter at the pharmacy. These only have 8 mg of codeine, but really help with the bigger pain experiences. I also have a prescription for Tylenol 3's which have 15 mg codeine.

I try not to take either of these Tylenol's too often, although at pains worst it is once a day. It sure does make more sense to spread the usage out, as I find I then *really* feel the pain relief when taken occasionally. The reason, of course, is I don't want to get constipated.

I am, however, starting to feel I need something extra for relief and comfort. I'm seeing my CSR next week, and may ask him about getting a prescription for diazapam (valium.) The muscle relaxing properties of this would help my sphincter relax, and probably keep my head a bit cooler. Or I might wait and ask my family Doctor. This drug is constipating.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diazepam

The above said, about valium, maybe I'd be better off just keeping on with the Tylenol 1 and/or 3 only when really needed.

http://chealth.canoe.ca/drug_info_detai ... &page_no=2

I sometimes take ibuprofen which helps both with inflammation and pain. Also same with extra strength regular Tylenol, which on a bad day I would take two, spread out. I try not to mix ibuprofen and Tylenol on same day.

I would really like to hear how people are coping with pain. And if anyone is taking something like valium to relax their bums. For those of you not taking anything, I salute you.

As far as natural ways to keep calm, I do guided imagery; breathing exercises; yoga & walking (not for weeks since this flare. I'll walk to the store and back.)

I haven't had a drink since this flareup and have stopped coffee. Green and black tea for me!
Turk the cat
Salt Bather

Topics: 16

Re: Coping with pain/stress? valium VS codeine

Postby Turk the cat » 13 Nov 2013, 17:38

I also meant to ask just HOW constipating people find Diazepam over codeine products.
Turk the cat
Salt Bather

Postby Scientist2516 » 13 Nov 2013, 18:01

Dear Turk,
I'm so sorry you are in severe pain. That's so wretched, but it will pass - you need to take it a bit easier though. Handy work, housework, they can be very hard on your fissure, as I found out! Try to take care of yourself. I know it's hard to do, but you need to rest.

I want to reassure you about taking ibuprofen and tylenol the same day. I think it's OK (check with your doc) but when my children were small and had high fevers that wouldn't stay down with one medication, the pediatrician recommended alternating ibuprofen and acetaminafen (tylenol) so as not to OD on either one.

I did hear a programme on NPR that said it's frighteningly easy to OD on tylenol, so please be careful!
:smilyhug:
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Postby jr2 » 13 Nov 2013, 22:30

Hi Turk

While Valium can be constipating for some people, it isn't a predominant complaint, especially at low dosages. It can really help with the pain and the anxiety that go with fissures, the pain because it is useful for the muscle spasms, and in relieving the anxiety you also relieve the muscle spasms. Codeine, of course, is notorious for its constipating effects. You do have to beware of dependency potential with both, of course, but if I were you I'd discuss with your doctor going with a trial of Valium and then using ibuprofen for added pain relief.

I also agree with Scientist2516 about the over exertion. I think we all have to think of fissures as injuries that require "light duty" to give them a better chance of healing.
jr2

Topics: 15