Stinging Pain When Going, Spotting, Fissure?

Could This Be a Fissure?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Stinging Pain When Going, Spotting, Fissure?

Postby AlexP » 19 Nov 2013, 21:23

Hi everyone, glad I found this forum!

This has been the year of the butt problem for me. First, early this year, I had an infected polyp inside that was bleeding, had to have general surgery to have it taken out. No big deal. Healed up. But in mid-October, I got constipated, strained just a bit, and ever since mid-October, I'm having this ripping, stinging pain on the right side of my anus when I go to the bathroom. It feels like a tearing, or stinging, when I pass stools. Nice, huh. Anyway, there's been a tiny bit of spotting on the tissue here and there with it. I've done all the proper things, eating lots of fiber, drinking water, using wet tissue instead of dry to clean, moving around a lot, etc. Sometimes, the pain is worse, sometimes better. Last week, I had a few days of relief, the pain went away for 4 days but came back again.

I went to see my colorectal surgeon, he did a visual exam back there. I asked him about a fissure, he said it there might or might not be one, but pretty much didn't seem to think it's a big deal. He said I have two small skin tags, but that it would be more trouble & hassle to remove than to leave them alone. That was pretty much it. He just told me to eat a ton of fiber & apply vaseline to the area. I'm doing that. I've been soaking in warm water daily, also. It's been almost a month, and it's not healed yet. Last week I had a few days when the pain went away totally, but then it came back after a bowel movement the other day. The pain is not there all the time at all. It's only when I actually pass stool or shortly thereafter. No pain with urination at all. It feels like it's coming from the right outside part of my bum. Maybe from one of the skin tags. I touch the area, and it feels sore & tender to the touch on one of the skin tags. I looked at it with a mirror, but saw nothing to show that anything was bleeding. And there's no blood in the stool so far, knock on wood, just a lottle on toilet paper after first wipe. Nothing looks visibly out of the ordinary to me when I looked at the area (of course I'm no doctor). Sometimes when I go, due to the pain on that side, I spread my buttcheeks apart a bit to relieve the friction. This just sucks.

So what should I do? I am a gay male, but I've had no receptive anal sex in over 4 years. Or had any toy or anything up there. In fact, I have tried to be extra careful to keep the area in good shape. So not sure why this is happening. Maybe it was just from the constipation. I had the surgery to remove the polyp in March, but as of July, it had totally healed up and I was good to go, they said. Plus, that was on the inside. This feels like it's on the outside, around the opening. And it's a stinging pain when I pass stools. Even loose ones.
All I can figure is, I had a bout of constipation around the time this started, last month, and I strained a bit, maybe that's what did it. But I've always been a fast healer, surprised this hasn't healed yet.
Maybe I need some type of medicated cream? So far all I've used is Vaseline, warm water, cold compresses, etc. Is there some type of steroid cream that I could put on that could make it heal up?
I 'm going to see my primary doc tomorrow. It's to the point now where I dread to go to the bathroom because of the pain & irritation. But if I see the doc, what if they just tell me the same thing the colorectal doc did.
Just wondering if anyone on here has experienced this? I don't think it's hemmroids, because the colorectal doc never said I had them at all. Is there any kind of good over the counter thing I can use to make this heal? Could it be an std?
I did test positive for low-grade HPV, on a pap last year, probably from my past years as a bottom, but don't think that would cause this tearing/stinging sensation when I go. This stinging sensation has been pretty recent, never had this before. One thing I wonder is, aren't most fissures cause people to have constant pain, even when no BM? My stinging feeling ONLY happens when I pass stools, and goes away soon after. No problems other than when going.

I don't know what to do. Someone told me to make sure I ask my doc for nitro glycerin cream tomorrow. But someone else said they can actually make the lining in the anus area thinner. So what about Lydocaine?

I am a slim guy, so it's hard for me to keep weight on as it is, and I'm terrified this is going to cause me to waste away. Again I've been eating tons of fiber, water, warm baths, compresses, etc, but it's still there. Can I still eat pasta? I'm on a budget and can't afford to go out and buy a ton of specialty foods. I don't have time to prepare much.

Thanks for any advice..Just not sure what to do. I would have thought if there was a fissure the colorectal doc would have found it and given me something..But I know I'm not imagining it. I'll be very adamant tomorrow at my doc's, hopefully he can give me something/advice to how to heal this. My bipolar disorder is not handling this very well. I'm very stressed. I really hope this clears up on it's own, whatever it is.
AlexP
Salt Bather

Topics: 25

Re: Stinging Pain When Going, Spotting, Fissure?

Postby smiles18 » 19 Nov 2013, 23:59

Hey Alex,

I'm so sorry about your recent troubles. It really does sound like a fissure and I'd like to stress that you need to get on this ASAP. I waited months before I got the right treatment and now it's chronic, so it's much more difficult to heal without surgery.

I would suggest, without a doubt, try Diltiazem. It's a calcium channel blocker. What it does is it helps to stop the spasms that keep the AF from healing, but without the nasty side effects of nitro. Nitro gives really bad headaches, although many people don't have a problem with this, I'd suggest just going right to Diltiazem. Also, apply a hot water bottle or heating pad there at least 3 times per day before putting on the cream. My CRS suggested this to me and it has almost completely healed my chronic fissure.

And two more pieces of advice. Increase your soluble fibre, not insoluble (insoluble creates bulk, and just creates more problems), and maybe get a stool softener/magnesium until things heal up down there. And finally, before you have a bowel movement, apply coconut oil inside to help protect the wound and also to make the BM a little easier to pass.

I don't mean to make you panic, but I really suggest you get a cream fast.. no hydrocortisone, or lidocaine, or nitro..I went through all of these just to end up with Diltiazem which my CRS said is the only thing she prescribes now because nitro has such bad side effects. Well, I hope this helps and I wish you happy healing! Definitely read through the posts on this site, you will find many helpful people with great advice!
smiles18
Fibre Addict

Topics: 8