How do you know if you're having anal spasms?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

How do you know if you're having anal spasms?

Postby MarathonGirl » 22 Nov 2013, 21:18

Many people on this forum talk about painful anal spasms; what does this feel like? This is probably a dumb question, but is it obvious when you're having them? I have so much pain in my anus, I'm not even sure if I'd recognize having a spasm down there, or if I'm having them all the time??

If I don't have anal spasms, and my fissure doesn't ever bleed, do you think this means I have a better chance of healing without the LIS?
MarathonGirl
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Re: How do you know if you're having anal spasms?

Postby Savaici » 23 Nov 2013, 12:24

Welcome to the forum, MarathonGirl!

Best description for spasms of the internal sphincter (which we cannot control) is like having a "Charlie horse" cramp. It can go on for hours and the pain can be very intense. This was my first sign. Difficult to actually describe, but if you have a lot of pain after a BM, that is most likely what it is.

Not sure how long you have had this, but the sooner you get it treated, the better. If you catch it early, treatment with a Calcium Channel Blocker or with nitro both help to bring blood to the area and heal the fissure. The CCB ointment/cream gives less chance of headaches than nitro, which is also available as cream/ointment.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby MarathonGirl » 23 Nov 2013, 19:26

I appreciate the reply. I have a strong burning sensation down there pretty much all the time; I don't *think* it's spasms. I've had the fissure for 6 weeks. Where can I get nitro or a Calcium Channel Blocker?
MarathonGirl
Fibre Addict

Postby Savaici » 23 Nov 2013, 19:54

Here is the link for Rectiv: http://www.rectiv.com/en/patient (US product and it is on prescription. Suggest you read all about it and feel free to ask questions again here.)

Diltiazem or Nifedipne (Calcium Channel Blockers) have to be made by a compounding chemist and are also on prescription in the US. They mix with lidocaine for pain relief.

If you are somewhere other than the US, Rectiv is called Rectogesic.

Another suggestion, use a Sitz bath from Rite Aid. Helps also to bring blood flow to the area. I just fill mine from the tap, I don't use the bag the comes with it: http://fistulasupport.wordpress.com/sitz-bath/
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby MarathonGirl » 24 Nov 2013, 15:38

I have Diltiazem, as well as a tube of Lidocaine 5% which does nothing for my pain.

Is taking a bath in the tub just as good as using the Sitz bath?
MarathonGirl
Fibre Addict

Postby Rachael 1984 » 25 Nov 2013, 16:19

Hi Marathon Girl,
Your avatar is cute... Yes, I take a bath too, but the sitz is more convenient if you don't have time to have a full bath. I ordered mine from Amazon. It is great to use in the middle of the day too, if I am at home and I have pain. Sorry you are suffering with this... Are you in the UK?! Xx
Hem Banding sept 2012
2Fissures
Nitro- Effective short term
April 2013-Botox-Effective short term
Diltazem-No effect, developed Rash
July 2014-Diagnosed High Resting Pressure
LIS performed on 17.9.14
Ongoing pain/re-tears. Awaiting pressure test results.
Rachael 1984

Topics: 26
Mood: Please heal!

Postby MarathonGirl » 25 Nov 2013, 17:31

Hi Rachel,

I love your avatar, too. I posted it on my Facebook last year at Easter time! It's hilarious!

I live in Canada. I don't *think* I'm having anal spasms, and my fissure never bleeds, so I'm hopeful that I can heal it naturally. Mind you, yesterday I was in so much pain (after another nasty bought of diarrhea), I couldn't even get out of bed until 5 p.m. after I finally succumbed and took some Advil.) This morning I bought a hot water bottle, and some Zinc and Vitamin B6. I will do anything to avoid that surgery, but at the same time, I don't know how much more of this pain I can handle, and it's only been 6 weeks for me.

How long have you had your fissure?
MarathonGirl
Fibre Addict

Postby Scientist2516 » 25 Nov 2013, 18:18

I think if you are having pain for hours after the BM, that is the spasms. They don't feel like repeated bursts of pain, at least, mine didn't. Mine felt like fireworks up inside, or more like sparklers, really. Or sometimes just like a stick poked up my bottom. Good luck with the hot water bottle. I still use mine even though I'm healed - it's just comforting, and I'm convinced that keeping that area nice and warm with plenty of blood flowing through it, will help me not to re-tear.
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby vdb324 » 25 Nov 2013, 18:46

With mine, I swear I could almost feel the muscle contract (get tense) and release, over and over again. Not nearly as obvious as a charlie horse, but enough that you could notice the contract/release if you really concentrated.
Feb. 2013 - Developed AF
July 2013 - Diagnosed AF;nifidepine lidocaine treatment
Oct. 2013 - 1st round of Botox & skin tag removal
Dec. 2013 - 2nd Botox
March 2014 - Spinchterotomy
June 2015 - Diagnosed with Pelvic Floor Dysfunction/Vulvodynia
vdb324
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 52

Postby Rachael 1984 » 27 Nov 2013, 04:50

Hi Marathon,
I had my first fissure last September, it was spotted when I had some hems banded. Then I developed another one, so I was battling 2 monsters... I had Botox in April this year(8 months later). I did heal considerably with the Botox, although I now still have a nasty fissure at 70clock position. This is where the chronic monster was, I am convinced it is the same fissure, although my CRS said it is a new acute one. Drat! I am in pain again and using the Rectogesic again. Sigh.... My follow up is in January so I am looking at more surgery I think.....
Hem Banding sept 2012
2Fissures
Nitro- Effective short term
April 2013-Botox-Effective short term
Diltazem-No effect, developed Rash
July 2014-Diagnosed High Resting Pressure
LIS performed on 17.9.14
Ongoing pain/re-tears. Awaiting pressure test results.
Rachael 1984

Topics: 26
Mood: Please heal!