Nitro (inside or out?)

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Nitro (inside or out?)

Postby Janetmojo » 23 Nov 2013, 15:47

New here but in agony for approx 3 months. From some reading I see some use the nitro cream inside the anal area? Mine say outside? I'll post more later but I have two internal fissures and adrenal insufficiency after a surgery in May. Thanks!
Janetmojo
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: Nitro (inside or out?)

Postby Rachael 1984 » 23 Nov 2013, 16:46

:smilyhug: :hugs: Hey Janet,
Welcome, you have come to the right place... This forum is excellent for support. My CRS said it is best to apply right inside to get full effect from the Nitro. I always find it best to use a covered finger and insert into the anal canal.i have found that it is best to work up to the full dose of 2.5 cm though, as a side effect of the Nitro is headaches, although I would rather have the headache than the Fissure pain!! If it is too painful I have in the past used a cotton bud to apply it just inside. Use it for the full time stated. Are you taking a stool softener and lubricating prior to a BM? This will really help too. Good luck, keep us posted.
Hem Banding sept 2012
2Fissures
Nitro- Effective short term
April 2013-Botox-Effective short term
Diltazem-No effect, developed Rash
July 2014-Diagnosed High Resting Pressure
LIS performed on 17.9.14
Ongoing pain/re-tears. Awaiting pressure test results.
Rachael 1984

Topics: 26
Mood: Please heal!

Postby Now66 » 23 Nov 2013, 19:13

My brother, the surgeon who got me started down the right path for healing, told me the nitro will work, at least initially, from the outside. I believe inside is better unless too painful to apply. The headaches were not a problem for me if I applied the nitro immediately before sleep. I tried it in the morning but it messes with my thinking. It took 3-months of nitro, Miralax, fiber, and lots of water before I could quit fearing the next BM.
Now66
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 15

Postby Janetmojo » 23 Nov 2013, 21:00

Thank you will try that. More tomorrow or Monday, I'm a recovering Cushings patient and this has been worse than my adrenal surgery.
Janetmojo
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby Canadahell1 » 28 Nov 2013, 14:37

ask your doc for "FREE RUBBER GLOVES" and use Qtips if inserting inside, ..."a little dab will do you!"f
Canadahell1
Salt Bather

Postby Ever the Optimist » 28 Nov 2013, 15:28

Janet,
Although there are differing opinions on this, I also believe that internal application is better and especially if you are able to get close to the internal sphincter muscle, as the cream is more likely to have a stronger and more direct effect. If you are struggling with applying it, you could always purchase a pack of the Anusol hem cream as they tend to come with small syringes for easier application? A few people have done this.
Lying on your side with your knees tucked up close to your chest will open up the anus more and make insertion easier for you. I think once you've found what works for you, it doesn't take too long to get into a routine - key is just being as relaxed and gentle as possible until you feel comfortable with the process.....Good luck :)
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby owmybum » 28 Nov 2013, 15:29

I put a blob on the end of my finger, and sort of lightly press it against my anus, so most goes in without the need to insert my finger.... I just can't bring myself to do that!

OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby AlexP » 28 Nov 2013, 17:05

I wonder the same thing about these ointments. I am taking .3% Nifedipine & Lidocaine for the past week now. So far, not a huge improvement. Still sore, raw down there, but luckily I suppose, not in constant pain, just when I pass BM, almost every time. Like a sharp sting. My instructions say for external use only. Guess the anal muscles can absorb the ointments, I apply mine right around the outside area without actually going inside. I don't want to do that without talking to my doctor first.

Wondering if it's just going to take more time for the ointments to start helping me, or if maybe putting a bit inside would speed it up..I haven't tried nitro yet, might ask about it next week at my doctor's appointment. I have a skin tag there that is irritated too, so it aggravates it. But CRS didn't think it was a big deal. So I dunno.
AlexP
Salt Bather

Topics: 25

Postby jr2 » 29 Nov 2013, 18:09

This study showed fewer headaches and better healing outcomes when nitro. was applied internally rather than just on the outside.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/22810476/

(Obviously though, you don't want it to be some kind of torture you're putting yourself through every time you apply it)
jr2

Postby Superfissure » 29 Nov 2013, 18:59

I've been finding with Nitro it causes irritation and a different feeling from the fissure. I've also noticed a horrid smell sometimes too, like smelly socks.

But back on topic, due to pain or stress I never quite read or absorbed the instructions properly initially but it says put 1cm into the anus although it also states up to first joint which due to my long fingers is more like an inch than a cm. Initially I think I was actually putting my finger up there too far, maybe 2 inches - ha ha, ooops. It's hard to measure when you cant see and off course when you first push against the anus it's spongy anyway so not sure how far in the finger has gone.
The technique I now use is to squeeze out the Nitro from tip of finger to first joint that's about an inch rather than using the measurement on side of box. Either way, about 2.5cm. I then use another finger to push the Nitro to tip of finger to form a blob. I then push against the finger against anus a little and rotate the hand slightly in a circle which results in tip of finger well coated. I then push in slightly then back out, then in to about an inch and by this time both finger and entrance to anus are well lubricated. This technique for me results in no pain and most seems to be inserted.
Personally I don't put any plastic on the finger but ensure hands thoroughly cleaned both before and after. It's a pity it doesnt come with an inserter as using a finger with or without plastic has the risk of the nail not helping things
Superfissure
Salt Bather

Topics: 4