Does it sound as if I have an anal fissure?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Does it sound as if I have an anal fissure?

Postby georgeisabamf » 23 Nov 2013, 19:44

So for the past month or so I have had problems with constipation. I have been taking fiber supplements daily and sometimes stool softeners to combat this. Last week was worse than usual and I only had BM 2 times throughout the week. Well last week I had a rather hard BM and I think it damaged something down there (trying to use terms that don't sound graphic here), and have had some pain (though not major) while using the restroom.

Last night, I went to use the bathroom and things came out smoothly without a problem, except when I wiped there was blood on the toilet paper. Now I have had this happen before, with small amounts of blood and large amounts of blood, but this was the first time in a while that I've had such a problem. There was even blood on my feces, but it was all bright red and doesn't look old. Today I am a little sore down there depending on how I sit. I haven't used the restroom today, and am kind of scared to because I don't want it to start bleeding again. I have taken some fiber today, but still have not had a BM. I plan to drink some milk of magnesia tonight to see if that helps everything out.

Does this sound like an anal fissure? I know to be 100% sure I should visit the doctor, but I'm worried about visiting the doctor when it comes to my butt because I don't want them to stick something up there as a test. I heard most anal fissures can be cured using home remedies and just being gentle down there. I am just curious as to whether or not this sounds like an anal fissure.

I plan to buy some medicated wipes to use instead of toilet paper as I hear they are more gentle.

I appreciate any info or tips that you all may have!
georgeisabamf

Topics: 1

Re: Does it sound as if I have an anal fissure?

Postby Scientist2516 » 23 Nov 2013, 23:06

Hi George, welcome to the forum!
I am not sure it is a fissure - I feel it would hurt more if it was, but I do think you should see a doctor as soon as possible, because whatever it is, you need to get checked and diagnosed. They don't necessarily put anything up inside, they may be able to see it from the outside.

Say it's a fissure - the sooner you start treatment, the sooner you'll be cured, and hopefully avoid getting a chronic fissure. Once it gets chronic, it's a lot harder to heal, and you could be in for some serious long term pain.

Please, please, please don't put off going to the toilet. That is the worst thing you could do. The longer you hold the stool, the drier and harder it gets, and the more painful when you eventually pass it.

You need to drink lots of water, keep hydrated so the stool doesn't dry out. Avoid caffeine and alcohol because they are diuretics and will dry you out. If you get dehydrated, the colon draws water from the stool, and you really want to avoid that. It sounds as though your constipation medications are not working very well for you. Have you assessed your diet to see if you are getting enough fibre?

If you want to try home remedies, you must address the constipation, and that means being rigorous about your diet, drinking water, using stool softeners and going to the toilet regularly. But I strongly, strongly recommend seeing a doctor. If it's a fissure you can try muscle relaxants on your anus that cure most people who use them.

Good luck!
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby georgeisabamf » 24 Nov 2013, 01:58

I've been trying to introduce fiber into my diet via Psyllium capsules everyday. I take only 2 a day but on the bottle it says you can take up to 20 in a day, just use as needed. My diet is somewhat poor, I only eat one meal a day (which is dinner), but I do try to keep that healthy. I drink a lot of water (about 6-10 bottles a day), but I do drink alcohol quite often, and drink one soda a day.

If it doesn't go away soon, I am going to go see my doctor about it. I'm not trying to not pass a BM also, it's just not happening. I plan to use more of my fiber capsules, and also will use the milk of magnesia to see if that eases everything. If not, then it's off to see the doctor (even though I'm going out of town in a couple of days, so I don't know what to do).
georgeisabamf

Topics: 1

Postby Deleted User 5 » 24 Nov 2013, 10:36

I, too, noticed blood on the TP and a bright red streak of blood on the stool *before* I started having major pain. So this is definitely a possible warning sign. If you do go to the doctor, remember that there is a high probabilyt the fissure can be seen without "invading" the anus to any great degree (mine was visible without probing).

I really only chimed in to say probably the worst thing you can do is avoid having the bm, as this will only cause the stool to dry out more and increase your risk for fissure or if you already have a fissure, make your pain levels skyrocket. Good luck and let us know what you find out!
Deleted User 5

Postby Superfissure » 24 Nov 2013, 16:20

Additional to what the others have said please also consider whether one meal a day is enough. Eating meals of a decent size helps movement of the bowel. So, constipation could be caused by not eating enough, or not eating meals of a large enough size to help the bowel movements (eating small amounts of food regularly might not help either).
I would definitely see the doctor, to rule out others things. It could be haemorriods for example, rather than a fissure.

Remember too that when taking fibre, you must keep hydrated - drink lots of water.
Superfissure
Salt Bather

Topics: 4