Fissure and Adrenal Low

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Fissure and Adrenal Low

Postby Janetmojo » 25 Nov 2013, 09:24

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to jump in and say hi, I'm a 36 yr old female north of Atlanta who has been dealing with TWO fissures since early August. I was diagnosed with Cushing's Syndrome this past Spring and had my left Adrenal gland (along with a tumor) removed May 1st. During the summer I went through a long period eating very very little due to loss of appetite from low adrenal activity. I've actually lost almost 60 lbs since around June 1st. Since then I have been in AGONY with the fissures. I am having a SUPER hard time keeping my poop soft no matter what I do (current Metamucil, 2 Colace per day and Miralax and still struggling.) I have seen two different CRS and both exams were honestly the more painful thing I have EVER gone though. I was SCREAMING in pain.

I'm on a long term steroid therapy for the adrenal issues but it makes my body slow to heal and makes pain less tolerable than a normal person. I sort of feel like the fissure is ruining my life. It has also ruined two vacations now where I was in absolute misery.

Both CRS were very quick to suggest surgery right away but I'm a little concerned about that, esp since I would have to undergo extra hydrocortisone dosing and require extra monitoring for anesthesia etc.

Feeling frustrated...
Janetmojo
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: Fissure and Adrenal Low

Postby Deleted User 2950 » 25 Nov 2013, 17:58

Hi Janetmojo

Sorry that your going through some rough times right now and we feel your frustration.
Coming here to vent and to express yourself is a good start for you on the road to healing.
If I were you I might try cutting back on the metamucil and see if there's
any improvement on your Bm softness. Have you always been taking, colace
metamucil and miralax together? How long?

So what is your diet like, maybe we can help pinpoint an offender in it.
You definitely seem to be enmeshed in a trial and
error type deal to sort out how much of this or that to take so please
be patient and try not to let it frustrate you too much.

Hopefully with more experience and time along with proper care and instruction
from your Dr you will find what it takes to get those stools manageable. Stay
tuned here also as there are some great tips, helpful advice and just a shoulder
to lean on when your feeling down Janetmojo.

Good luck, stay strong for us please, you will get through this......
Last edited by Deleted User 2950 on 26 Nov 2013, 13:06, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 2950

Postby Janetmojo » 26 Nov 2013, 09:10

Thanks so much for writing back, I do feel like I am on a merry go-round as far as meds, suppliments, what to take, what to do. My diet is poor, not that I eat bad things but that I barely eat so that is why they suggested the extra fiber. Basically what happened in Aug is that my digestive system just shut down from lack of food, I got constipated because my body sort of forgot how to poop. I was doing fiber pills but that seemed to be making things worse so I swapped to one dose of the Metemucil in the am, which was also not helping until I added back in the Miralax (in the afternoon), which seems to do the trick, I just worry about any long term issues with taking it (about 1/2 normal dose per day.) The current "cocktail" has only been for a week or so as I try to happen upon a magic mix. I also take of course the hydrocortisone (life sustaining), a vitamin, a potassium suppliment, birth control and an acid reducer. Sounds like a lot but since the adrenal surgery I am off ALL my BP meds and other meds like that. So really I'm way better off overall (like I'm not about to die) but the fissures are taking over my life. Literally.
Janetmojo
Fibre Addict

Postby Deleted User 2950 » 26 Nov 2013, 13:05

Yeah, perhaps your getting too much fiber that is bulking you up too much, which is why
I suggested backing off the Metimucil (Psyllium), which is the King of bulking products.
Miralax is the preferred choice here for many user and some have been on it quite a while.

You'll get differing opinions as to it's long term use and any contraindications. I never
needed to use it myself. Hey, seems your hydro-cortisone acts as a anti-diueretic, hmm
learn something new everyday, I thought it was the other way around.

Good luck in your overall experimenting to find the right balance...
Deleted User 2950

Postby owmybum » 27 Nov 2013, 14:07

Hi janetmojo,

Wow, you have been through the mill haven't you.... I'm really sorry you've ended up with a couple of evil fissures!

I have been assured that taking something like mirilax long term will not cause you any lasting damage. I take two sachets of the uk equivalent movicol, and find this works really well for me, as long as I drink plenty of fluids throughout the day.... It reliably keeps stools soft.

What sorts of things are you eating? Like butt said, maybe we could help you there.

:wel:
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby Janetmojo » 02 Dec 2013, 10:08

I think the trouble is I just flat out don't eat much, not lately. I used to be the girl who could polish off 6 tacos ;)

I've adjusted to the following with some success:
AM-1 stool softener
midmorning-1/2 dose Metamucil
midafternoon-1/2 dose Miralax
With dinner-one flaxseed oil capsule

I'm also going to start trying in the morning to drink some kind of green smoothie, (purchased, not homemade). Since I'm not getting much food into me I'm thinking this might help me get a little more fruits and veggies without actually eating them? (It smells pretty yucky but maybe I can get it down!)
Janetmojo
Fibre Addict